SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   twitching muscles?? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/279792-twitching-muscles.html)

Newatthis34 01-04-2013 12:37 PM

twitching muscles??

:a108::a108::a108:Please help! I am trembly and my muscles are kind of spasming, it's not painful or anything but with my hypochondria I'm fearing the worst and have worked myself up to thinking I have MS. Also when I walk I feel spacey and a bit unbalanced. Also aching joints.

Anyone else have these symptoms when coming out of a binge?? I'm losing it here

:a108:

Newatthis34 01-04-2013 12:37 PM

Sorry overdid the icons there....

Lionhearted1 01-04-2013 12:59 PM

Lol, I have had all sorts of strange things happen to me, alcohol affects every organ in your body. But a binge defiantly won't give you MS. Chill out, listen to some guided mediation drink some calomile tea lay off the caffeine have an early night....

ReadyAtLast 01-04-2013 01:06 PM

maybe see your doc?

renaldo 01-04-2013 01:20 PM

I've had most of those symptoms, except for the fear of MS. When I don't drink, I'm unsteady on my feet and squirm like a stuck pig. Body temperature fluctuates, but no... it's not MS, it's beer.

Dee74 01-04-2013 01:44 PM

A lot of us suffer from things like Restless Leg Syndrome in withdrawal - but I'm not a Dr so I can't guarantee you this is what this is.

If you're concerned it's best to see your Dr.

mittens2020 01-04-2013 01:50 PM

The first few days I had really bad leg/foot cramps. They stopped, but (according to my BF) I have been twitching in my sleep like I am running a marathon since then. Feel better soon!

renaldo 01-04-2013 01:50 PM

For me it's hand wringing and straining my legs crossed at the knees out of a physical desire. The Jones, basically.

escapist 01-04-2013 01:51 PM

I don't know I went through so much physical discomfort when I quit. A month long headache. What ever you do don't drink. You already know that don't you? Like everyone else said see a DR if you feel the need.

25years2long 01-04-2013 02:14 PM

I get that too.

Originally Posted by Newatthis34 (Post 3753078)
:a108::a108::a108:Please help! I am trembly and my muscles are kind of spasming, it's not painful or anything but with my hypochondria I'm fearing the worst and have worked myself up to thinking I have MS. Also when I walk I feel spacey and a bit unbalanced. Also aching joints.

Anyone else have these symptoms when coming out of a binge?? I'm losing it here

:a108:

Pretty much every time I go beyond my usual 3 to 4 day pattern of drinking. Today is day 3 for me, so I'm beginning to get temors and some twitching muscles. I'll probably begin having muscle spasms and insomnia starting tonight too. Usually by day 6 or 7 I'm alright though, physically.

But it's different for everyone and depends a lot on your drinking patterns among other factors.

Unfortunately, I know the quiting unpleasantries all too well... I guess you can say that I'm a bit of an expert at quitting since I've done it about a thousand times... :sadwavey: Sorry, bad joke....

Hang in there, friend. I'm in the same boat right now. But we can do this!!! Quit for good, I mean.

I haven't been on this site very long, but have already found some very good advice and support. It helps!

Newatthis34 01-04-2013 02:26 PM

Thanks everyone. A friend tried to calm me down, but my imagination just gets carried away. Logically I know it more than likely is withdrawals but then a voice says 'well alcoholics can get MS too'.

I think the mental torture and increased anxiety is one of the worst aspects of this madness. Throw in a bit of psychosomatic aches and pains to boot and I'm jumping out of my skin altogether.

I guess if I still have these symptoms in a week then a trip to a dr wouldn't be excessive. Thanks guys.

hamabi 01-04-2013 02:40 PM

Seeing a doctor is a good idea, but if the twitching is taking place in your eyes and sticks around please don't hesitate to get medical help, and clue them in honestly on the drinking specifics.

Getting very drunk often can make serious problems possible. The MS you fear would be a better condition than some of them.

junk33 01-04-2013 04:27 PM

Ive gotten the leg and shoulder nerve pain,one morning i woke up and my ear was plugged (not by wax ) and it still hasnt completely healed, plus i go up my stairs like a 90 yr old man with a bad hip (when drinking) ..

LatteLady 01-04-2013 06:26 PM

I call mine "the twitchy awfuls". Took about 3 weeks for them to disappear. I still have some residual trembling in one hand. But hey, I am 70 y/o, probably age related. I have my annual physical next month and will find out then.
But, do call the doctor and find out for sure. We are not doctors or medical professionals here able to diagnose sight unseen.