Notices

Another newcomer

Old 01-04-2013, 03:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another newcomer

Hi all. This is my first posting to a support forum. Did anyone else hesitate before pressing the register button? It's a way of acknowledging where you're at, I guess, so a bit confronting... I've read lots of posts and you guys are really supportive of one another. I'm looking forward to joining in. I'm 4 days sober and struggling. Headaches, bad sleep, constant restlessness and the constant voice in my head convincing me to go ahead and just have one drink. Any suggestions for getting through these early days?
Old 01-04-2013, 04:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Reeny!

Zube

oh, and things usually begin to get better, as far as detoxing, around day 4 or so.

You might want to talk to you Dr. and let him know you stopped, and be brutally honest about your symptoms and how much you drank with him. Your headaches, bad sleep, restlessness, etc., is a result of your body detoxing. Your Dr. might give you something to take the edge off.

Zube
Old 01-04-2013, 04:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dear Australia

I am new here as well and heading into the completion of week 3. While struggling , I found strength, hope, and wonderful advice here in the forum and I avoided my "drinking friends" at all costs. I drank a LOT of water (I found seltzer water, tonic water, club soda, vitamin water to be most satisfactory).

I pushed through it and every single morning that I wake up without a hangover, without regret, without shame, is fuel to push through another day. Keep reading the words here written by the most courageous people I have ever experienced when the urge is strong....it really helped me through!! Do you have support at home?
Old 01-04-2013, 04:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR..and your new sober life. When you feel like you want to have a drink...just hold on minute by minute if necessary. If you dont have that one first drink, you will get through it, and it really will become easier as time goes by. You already know what drinking will get you...why not continue not drinking, and see what a sober life might bring?
Old 01-04-2013, 04:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Reeny! I too am having big difficulties with sleeping at night as well. I am being told that I need to give it time or see a doctor for help in that area. Glad your here, I was really hesitant about registering here myself, so glad that I did!!
Old 01-04-2013, 04:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks, Zube. While I know I'm kidding myself, I don't think people around me know the extent of my drinking (drinking on the sly and all that). Good advice about he dr but I'm worried about becoming dependent on something else! Already enjoying talking with people on this forum - such a relief!
Old 01-04-2013, 04:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
LDT

Hi Reeny,

I absolutely remember hesitating before pushing the register button. Funny you should say that. But don't be afraid. In the last year I have learned that addicts looking to get and stay sober are some of the lovliest people I've ever met. The early days are tough, but I would also suggest staying as hydrated as possible ( tonic and lime were life savers for me ), sleep when you can, and push through the early days. (Oh....and stay away from cold medicine. ) And ditto the doctor advice!
Old 01-04-2013, 04:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for your support and encouragement, WithoutFear. I already feel less alone. Going this alone. No-one knows. I have a big family event next weekend and I'm dreading it - they'll hound me to drink - any suggestions?
Old 01-04-2013, 04:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
Hi all. This is my first posting to a support forum. Did anyone else hesitate before pressing the register button? It's a way of acknowledging where you're at, I guess, so a bit confronting... I've read lots of posts and you guys are really supportive of one another. I'm looking forward to joining in. I'm 4 days sober and struggling. Headaches, bad sleep, constant restlessness and the constant voice in my head convincing me to go ahead and just have one drink. Any suggestions for getting through these early days?
Congrats on 4 days. I had the exact same symptoms as you did. They do get better over time.

The first 3 weeks were the hardest for me. Try to keep it simple, don't take on too much and get thru one day at a time. The goal is too keep sober. I basically got thru some days a minute at a time. Read the stories here and remember to post all you need to.

I didn't hesitate when signing up here. I've been sober 5 months now and just found this site last month. I wish I would have found this site when I first quit.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks, Losteverything. Is that how you got through?
Old 01-04-2013, 04:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi LDT. Yeah, you guys are really great to each other. And this forum posting is really keeping my mind off the grog! Dr's advice no good?
Old 01-04-2013, 04:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ahhh, yes, the dreaded family event and big party!! I went through this during the holiday time so, yes, I agree it is anxiety-provoking. How did I get through it? I mentally told myself: "I will NOT drink at the party" and when asked (countless times!) "what can I get you to drink?" , my response was : "Im driving". People left me alone at that. How did I get through it while observing all the others drinking, partying, laughing? I observed very closely for the first time and I engaged in conversation with people and stayed focused on the conversation, not the drink. It was a powerful experience and not easy. I was always the "life of the party" and trust me, I understand your fear. The next day when I woke up without a hangover, without shame of what I might have said or done the night before, a sense of tremendous relief, empowerment, energy, and freedom overcame. I don't ever ever want to return to that shameful place ....... this place is far better. I feel amazing....I hope you can as well!
Old 01-04-2013, 04:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks, LadyinBC. Well done on 5 months! I went 6 weeks last year but then went back worse than ever. I'll kill myself at this (well, that) rate. I read where Gerard Butler (sober for years) said he can't even remember what it's like to be drunk. Now that's what I'd love to be able to say!
Old 01-04-2013, 04:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

WElcome to the family! :ghug3 What do you mean by "doctor's advice no good?" I talked to my doc when I wanted to quit and he helped me thru the first couple weeks of withdrawals.

I came here a lot too and posted and read when I wanted to drink, that helped me so much.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good advice, WithoutFear! I'll give it a try. If need be, I'll make up some lie. Sounds as if you're in a great place.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome! The first 2 weeks were a lil rocky for me sleep problems and emotions everywhere ect. It does get better tho do hang in there. Sobriety is the best decision I ever made!
Old 01-04-2013, 04:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey Reeny welcome welcome.

I have been on these forums for quite a while, thinking I didn't have a problem or I could control it. Lurking for 2ish years (lurking on recovery sites should have been a pretty huge warning light but I don't learn easy) before creating this account. I am currently on day 3 of what I hope will be the rest of my sober life. I, like you, had a long (well relatively speaking for myself) period of sobriety. When I fell back to drinking, it was just as you said. I was hitting the bottle harder than ever.

I have a horrific time sleeping. Its not even that I can't sleep, but that when I am asleep it doesn't seem restful at all. For the last 3 mornings I have woken up feeling as bad, if not worse, than I did than when I had a hangover. Constant dreams. Can't call them nightmares but situations where I am trapped, where I am half awake but tormented by something. I really look forward to the day when I can get a full restful nights sleep. These forums help me see that people have been down this path before and that it does get better. I just hope I can make it that far.

We're all in this together so thanks for sharing!
Old 01-04-2013, 04:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi ddrayer. Thanks for your support. Like you, I did a fair bit of lurking. Still in some denial, I think. Like, I haven't told anyone the extent of my problem (though some must guess) and I've never said I'm an addict. But I drink to get drunk and can tick most of the boxes asking Do you have a drinking problem? You sound strong. Good luck and hang in there.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
LDT

Doctor's advice is absolutley good....necessary..... I recommend it.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:41 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Reeny I understand how you feel about telling loved ones! I still haven't admitted to anyone that I relapsed since my last attempt, so I feel you there