Notices

Back again

Old 01-04-2013, 03:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back again

I'm back again to give it another shot. Don't know how many of you remember me from last april/may....Feeling a bit sheepish as I had been doing so well (for me) - five weeks I lasted. Since then I have been drinking as never before. I am full of anxiety and self-loathing. I am a mess but I want to quit so bad. Is this what life is going to be for me forever? I'm terrified that it is.

My mom died last march, and then my father basically gave up on life, and he passed away too in august. This is not an excuse but I'm trying to set the context. It makes it all the more insane, watching them both slowly die (my mom had cancer, my dad starved himself to death having failed to drink himself there), and that is what I am doing to myself.

I felt I had to come back on here and announce myself, and face the embarrassment. I will not be so quick to offer my advice to others since I clearly have made a mess at my first attempt at sobriety.

Thanks for reading.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back! Don't feel sheepish, just get back to it. Read posts on here. You're not alone and if you were here before, you know how much support and help you will get here
Old 01-04-2013, 03:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back New34!

Sorry about you loss. You did the right thing in coming back. Don't beat yourself up too much. You learned a valuable lesson about alcoholism. A lot of people don't, and don't make it back.

Zube
Old 01-04-2013, 03:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well it's great you came back. You have been though a lot. I'm amost 60 years old and still have my Mom and Dad, and have been sober for only 90 plus days. I may need your help soon, hope not, but not looking forward to losing my Mom and Dad...Hang in there buddy!!!
Old 01-04-2013, 03:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Welcome back, Newatthis.

Sorry about your loss.

Don't look back, make a fresh start with all the support and encouragement here.

Let this New Year bring peace and sobriety to you.

Take care.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi mate

Don't feel bad i am on my third attempt, lasted 21 days first time, 21 days second ttime and days3 this time.

I did not hit it like i used to when i slipped but the warning signs were there.

The fact you are back can only be good and willing to try again better. I belie've each failed attempt strengthens us for next time and we learn from them

What did you learn in the ffirst 5 week effort t in my 3 week efforts realised and came to like the clarity and healthy sense i had and not to mention the money.

Itmis this whxih bought me back there must be something you gainedmfrom you last effort to strive for
Old 01-04-2013, 03:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great you lasted 5 weeks, that's long for an alcoholic.

The drinking life gets to be so rough that as we go along we are repeatedly faced with having to get sober again.

Glad you made this most recent decision.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back! :ghug3
Old 01-04-2013, 03:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome back,please dont feel embarrassed,this is SR.We dont shoot our wounded.

I am sorry for your loss.

You put the drink down before and you can do it again.Alcoholism is progressive,sometimes quickly sometimes slowly,but progress it does.

Stay away from the first drink,break your time down into short periods if a day seems too long.A day is a long time for an Alcoholic to stay sober.

Be kind to yourself and I wish you well.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, you are among folks who are familiar with this struggle. I'm very sorry about the loss of your parents. It's a new year and a new chance for you to change.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome back. I'm very sorry for your loss. Its good that you are ready to start again. I've failed many times before,but I'm not giving up,till I get this right.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome back. So sorry about your losses. Don't give up!
Old 01-04-2013, 04:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

So sorry about you parents. Don't feel sheepish or embarrassed. Many of us have had relapses. You had 5 weeks sober and no one can take those away from you. Try to concentrate on what kept you going.