Notices

newby

Old 01-03-2013, 08:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

newby

Well hello, everybody!
My name is Johnny and I'm an alcoholic. I'm a newcomer here and this is my very first post. Anywho, I've been around, near and, lol everything but in the program for years now, but didn't get IN the program until Feb. 28th, 2011. It's now been 22 months now sence my last drink, and it's all thanks to this precious prgram. Well other then to tell everyone i'm new here, i'm actualy here because I've recently have been going through some stressful things, and something has been bothering me and worrying me like crazy......I smoked a cigarrete and had a few more this past weekend....well even though i didnt drink, i still felt a bit guilty cuz i smoked ciggs.....pryor to these ciggs i had been smoke free for a year and a half.....anyway i confided in a friend about it.....she claimed that it counted as a relapse....well i laughed it off and said no it cant count as a relapse....well a day later it start to get to me and i started to realy worry about wether it was a relapse or not.....so i talked to my sponsor about it....and well he said no it isnt a relapse...not for aa anyway....well to lol get to my point is im here to get some feed back from everyone here on about their oppion on this matter.....does this count as a relapse or not? and secondly, what realy constitutes as an official relapse?
Old 01-03-2013, 08:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA Member

What does cigarette smoking have to do with a relapse on alcohol? A relapse consists of ingesting alcohol or using any mood-altering substance after a period of sobriety.

Treat yourself gently. You're going through a lot right now and the expectations you have of yourself with regard to not smoking AND staying sober may be a bit more than you can handle. Easy does it.

Kat
Old 01-03-2013, 08:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Johnny - welcome to SR

Well, I reckon if smoking cigs counted as a relapse, a good many folks here would be on day one...

It's not a great idea to start smoking again, but I can't see what that has to do with your 22 months recovery from alcohol...just my opinion

D
Old 01-03-2013, 08:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree also that smoking is NOT a relapse and if it were, we'd all be in a bit of trouble. Focus on all that alcohol/drug free time. GOOD JOB!!!
Old 01-03-2013, 08:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!

No, I would say that smoking cigarettes has nothing to do with relapsing. I smoke unfortunately. It's a bad habit I would like to quit, but I'm tackling one thing at a time for now.

Congrats on your 22 months!!
Old 01-03-2013, 09:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I usually see half the AA meeting attendees smoking outside before the meeting starts when I go. A cigarette never landed me in jail or got me fired. Not a relapse!
Old 01-03-2013, 09:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

relapse smeelapse, no its not a relapse

Welcome to SR and congrats on your 22 months
Old 01-03-2013, 09:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Johnny and welcome to SR,

Not a relapse in my book but a wake up call to address what is bothering you. Are you in AA and following the program? If you are, this is the time to start seriously using it.

You are doing wonderfuly.
All the best
CaiHong