Notices

Hi all :)

Old 01-03-2013, 05:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi all :)

Just joined and wanted to post! Been drinking daily (6 beers) for the last 2 years and its time to stop!!

Actually never tried to stop before, I'm a workaholic it seems normal for me to work 12-13 hours a day every day and drink my way through the evening, while working of course!

Decided to quit cold turkey a few days ago and poured every drop of beer down the sink.....it was emotional…..much more than i thought it would be!! Got a little anxious and had to take a few deep breathes.

Been suffering with the flu since, don’t actually think it’s a direct result of quitting but it’s been a blessing in disguise. Too ill to drink. I'm now starting to feel better and yes I don’t desperately need a drink but the fact its crossing my mind is worrying me

Drinking for me is a huge part of my routine! Never feel the need to drink during the day, thank God. It's on the way home i pick up a six pack and dinner and the de stressing beings.

Really need to stop, would like to think i could one day go back to social drinking but at the moment I think stopping for as long as possible is the best course of action.

Not much else to tell, it seems really simple just stop buying beer! Think the biggest thing to deal with will be the boredom!!!!!! Thanks for reading.....this really is cathartic
Old 01-03-2013, 06:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Snoopie. Welcome to SR!

Congrats on decision to quit drinking.

I used to be a workaholic too, for a long time a glass of wine every other day was enough to reward myself for hard stressful work. On some moment one "holic" started to turn into another one.

Boredom may be an issue here. Planning your everyday routine can be of great help, like scheduling workout after work or whatever keeps you busy and your mind occupied. I also spent hours here reading and posting.

Sobriety involves other changes in lifestyle in addition to quitting drinking, but it's worth it and it's getting better.

Focus on today and take care.

Best wishes to you.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your kind words really help! I'm one step ahead of you, just joined a local gym and signed up for a little PT (It's the only way to make sure i actually go)

Been doing a lot of thinking on why i drink. Yes it's become a 'habit' but i think its just that because of the work i do i treat drinking as another obstacle that i just need to work through to overcome. It’s hard to say this but I’m actually quite proud that i can drink so much so often and still preform the way i do. It's twisted i know!!! Just a little worried if i quit drinking completely what my next 'holic' will be!
Old 01-03-2013, 07:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Snoopy, I actually smiled when you said that are quite proud that can drink and still perform well at work. Sounds so familiar) I remember I could manage my department and write a great report with a hangover and was proud of myself)) And I thought that I could handle my "wine indulging" the way I handled issues at work. Never worked - it's just has different nature.

Your "holic" will be Ok. First you addictive voice will try to convince you that you performed better when drinking, but it's BS.

And congrats on joining the gym. Exercising helps a lot.

Take care)
Old 01-03-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Midnight it really helps having someone to talk to Shopping tonight @ M&S will be gritting my teeth as i walk past the wine section on my way to the pizza aisle

How long have you been sober?!?
Old 01-03-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Good luck at shopping, Snoopy)

It's Day 81 for me today)
Old 01-03-2013, 09:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Snoopy!

I can relate..... Drinking was my reward, too, a way to shut my thoughts down after going full speed all day. I think you're so smart to nip it in the bud now. It only gets harder and harder to stop.

It's totally normal to go through some boredom at first, but you'll figure it out. Be patient with yourself and give it a little time. Maybe a new interest or hobby is just around the corner!

Glad you're here and congrats on your decision!
Old 01-03-2013, 09:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i got sick when i was detoxing for the first week or so. thought i was ill.
coldsweats blurred vision etc..
so good to keep it away from you!
gym is great!
i lost so much weight when i quit drinking.
you should work on a before and after picture to show you physically how your body
changes without booze.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm a workaholic it seems normal for me to work 12-13 hours a day every day and drink my way through the evening, while working of course!

I did that for a lot of years. When you are very productive on the job it's hard to see that you may have a drinking problem.

The problem is, you can't keep this up forever. As the years go by your tolerance will increase and your body's ability to recover from the nightly abuse will decrease. Eventually, those trend lines will intersect and you will crash and burn.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks all for the kind advice and support! It really does help :0 )

Last night was sleepless, but the walk to the bin / garbage without the clinking of glass bottles this morning made me smile!

Have decided not to count days, I get a little obsessive Just don’t drink beer it seems so easy. Somehow I don’t think it will be….

Wish you guys all the best in your sobriety. Please keep in touch and if you need to chat I’ve plenty of free time now my evenings are beer free

Is it possible to social drink again eventually?!?
Old 01-04-2013, 06:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Snoopy101 View Post

For me, the answer was no. As soon as I realised this, a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders as no longer was I in a battle with alcohol - I was simply done with it.

For most alcoholics, after a period of sobriety, the return to social drinking makes them worse than ever. Drinking while an alcoholic is always a downwards slope, it never matters how long your pause is - you will eventually hit bottom.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If you are an alcoholic, no.

It seems like it's the fantasy of every alcoholic to be able to drink socially one day.

I was sober for 5.5 years and then I thought I could have a beer or two with my nice steak dinner. In a matter of day's I was right back to my previous levels of consumption. However, it was much worse. My ability to recover the next morning wasn't the same and I would feel just awful. However, having a beer or two with my Egg McMuffin seemed to help. Fortunately, I was able to stop drinking again after some miserable months of on again, off again recovery attempts. Trying the "social drinking" experiment is not worth it.