Notices

Hello...Question about Physical Symptoms

Old 01-03-2013, 01:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello...Question about Physical Symptoms

I just stopped drinking (yet again) after a week or so of bad binging. Both times I went back to drinking this year, it was bingeing.

So now that you have some background, here is my question: each time I binged and quit, my eyes got really red and puffy. I have done nothing but drink Gatorade and protein shakes for the past to days because I was too nauseated to think about food aside from this afternoon. This afternoon, I was able to get a turkey sandwich down.

Has anyone gotten WORSE looking despite having stopped drinking? I've been applying an ice pack to minimize the damage, but my eyes still burn, so I know my efforts have been minimally successful.

Any thoughts on how long this might go on and how I can minimize the effects? It's even more of an issue because as bad as I look and feel, I'm sure my family thinks I'm drinking again. :p

Also, was just at the doctor before the most recent binge and everything is ok as far was he could tell medically.

Happy new year, all!
Old 01-03-2013, 01:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi SeventySeven
I found the longer I stayed sober the better I felt and looked.
It usually took me at least a couple of weeks to start feeling good let alone look better.

How long did you stay sober for?

D
Old 01-03-2013, 01:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Personally, I looked, and felt like hell for about the first 4 days or so.

Your body WANTS alcohol. Keep hydrated, and maybe talk to you doc about how he can help with the detox and withdrawl.

Keep strong,
Zube
Old 01-03-2013, 01:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dee: I was sober for more than a year before my first relapse and about 2 weeks before the second.

Zube: How long did you drink. How much? Well...i guess that gives me a couple of more days of looking and feeling like death. If I continue to drag myself around like this, someone might just throw me in the hospital because I look so sick.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey 77-

Hang in there. I drank usually 12 to 18 beers every weeknight, and a case every Saturday and Sunday. I progressively drank more over about 22 years. I went to see my Dr. on day 3, and was given something to ease the detox. I don't know if I would have made it through day 3 without doing so. Day 4 things began to swing back to beginning to feel better.

Keep posting here. AA also helped me HUGE in early recovery. Everybody in those rooms knew what I was going through, where nobody else really could.

Vitamin B multi is your friend during these times. So is Immodium, Vitamin C, and H2O.

Bananas help with leg cramps, which were miserable. As for insomnia, expect it. Night sweats too.

But keep in mind, If you take it one day at a time, don't take that first drink TODAY, one day, one hour, one minute at a time, you might not ever have to go through this again.

Keep posting, and think about seeing your doc.
Zube