Notices

13 years "sober" 5 years relapse

Old 01-02-2013, 08:32 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You don't need 25 posts to accept a friend request. You accepted mine.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:33 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GerandTwine View Post
This may be, in part, a consequence of a habituated dependence on recovery groups that almost always occurs. It's a sort of "learned helplessness" that backfires when group attendance stops for whatever reason.
I hadn't ever considered that but, yeah, you may very well be right.

Maybe being addicted to the meetings instead of my sobriety?
Old 01-02-2013, 08:34 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

This may be, in part, a consequence of a habituated dependence on recovery groups that almost always occurs. It's a sort of "learned helplessness" that backfires when group attendance stops for whatever reason.
You wouldn't happen to have a source for this?
Old 01-02-2013, 08:35 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
You don't need 25 posts to accept a friend request. You accepted mine.
I did? YAY! I tried to but then I kept getting some weird message.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by Received View Post
Thank you, GerandTwine. Please, please, stick with me and help me understand. I am going to stay here and do everything I can, and am told to do if y'all will maybe be a sponsor for me, so to speak.

I'm so lost right now and so angry at myself.
I'm sorry you feel angry and lost right now, but the fact that you're here with an open mind makes it obvious to me that you have some strong motivation, resilience, and genuine hope.

Whether or not you have alcohol in your blood at this moment, you can still contemplate that you have every capacity to prevent alcohol from passing down your throat - ever again. That is a totally valid contemplation. It is the most common initial change people make towards deciding to quit forever on their own.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:48 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Originally Posted by GerandTwine
The first three steps of AA in particular, and all the rest in totality.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:48 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Unhappy

Originally Posted by HitRockBottom70 View Post
Hey Received,
I am doing it with the help of SR as my tool for sobriety. I joined the month of May and have been been alcohol free since. You can do it. Google free AVRT class. I wish i still had the link, I would PM it to you. I did the free class and kept posting on SR. I asked a lot of questions early on and added tools that made sense to me. Meetings were off limits for me too for different reasons. Keep posting and you will succeed.
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I'm trying to find a place I can stick to like glue. I believe...hope..this is the place.

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Welcome Received!

Like Escapist and Dee SR has been my greatest support. I have attended a few different types of meetings, but found this site to be my greatest resource.

I have made sure to plan other activities for those drinking hours: exercise, reading, time on here.

Maybe you can find an online course that interests you. Looking forward to seeing you on SR!
I may have to resort to an online course. As pathetic as that sounds, I'd really like to try y'all first.

I hope I'm not sounding like a pain in the neck.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:54 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by Received
I hope I'm not sounding like a pain in the neck.
Cut the negative self talk and get to reading.

lol I was just giving you that cyber punch you asked for earlier xo

I have complete faith in you, even if you don't right now. You can do this.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:56 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you feel angry and lost right now, but the fact that you're here with an open mind makes it obvious to me that you have some strong motivation, resilience, and genuine hope.

Whether or not you have alcohol in your blood at this moment, you can still contemplate that you have every capacity to prevent alcohol from passing down your throat - ever again. That is a totally valid contemplation. It is the most common initial change people make towards deciding to quit forever on their own.

I just want to stop this destruction of my mind, body, spirit and soul. I go to sleep/pass out with no problem but I wake up with such self loathing.

My children, even though they are adults, still need me...every so often. I can't give them money, I have very little but I can give them words of encouragement. It's just getting harder and harder to fake a positive energy when I talk to them AND they are picking up on it.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:01 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Cut the negative self talk and get to reading.

lol I was just giving you that cyber punch you asked for earlier xo

I have complete faith in you, even if you don't right now. You can do this.
haha! Cyber punches much welcome. I will commence to reading tomorrow.

Now the REAL punch is to ream me out tomorrow and keep me from picking up. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know...no one can do that but me.

Sure wish I had a sponsor that would bang on my door, like in the past, and kick my but (not literally).
Old 01-02-2013, 09:02 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Its not a real class, more of a powerp@int presentation. Took about 15 minutes. Not pathetic at all. We are only pathetic when we do nothing about what is screwing us up. I will find the link and PM it.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:05 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Received View Post
I just want to stop this destruction of my mind, body, spirit and soul. I go to sleep/pass out with no problem but I wake up with such self loathing.

My children, even though they are adults, still need me...every so often. I can't give them money, I have very little but I can give them words of encouragement. It's just getting harder and harder to fake a positive energy when I talk to them AND they are picking up on it.
Addictive Voice Recognition Technique deals specifically with YOU and DRINKING.

First - What were you doing, thinking, and feeling the last time you had that first drink?

Then, AVRT zeros in and sorts out what that's all about.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:07 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

And if AA worked in the past and you know the steps, what about finding an AA sponsor on SR?
Old 01-02-2013, 09:07 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Its not a real class, more of a powerp@int presentation. Took about 15 minutes. Not pathetic at all. We are only pathetic when we do nothing about what is screwing us up. I will find the link an PM it.
Thank you. I really appreciate it. I'm just gong to stay signed in here so when I wake up in the morning this is the first forum is the first thing I see.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:17 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Red face

And if AA worked in the past and you know the steps, what about finding an AA sponsor on SR?
I don't know how to do that yet. I'm still trying to figure out SR.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:20 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Addictive Voice Recognition Technique deals specifically with YOU and DRINKING.

First - What were you doing, thinking, and feeling the last time you had that first drink?

Then, AVRT zeros in and sorts out what that's all about.
I was doing, thinking and feeling hopeless, helpless and worthless.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:24 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hello Received and welcome to SR

Plenty of support here, main thing to remember is that 1st for us is staying drug and alcohol free and then learning how to get on with life. As has been said many paths to that including SR, simply decide on one.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:27 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I'll sign off tonight by contributing a note about my own experience. First, I participated in AA recovery for many years for reasons beyond just not drinking. Then, I participated in Rational Emotive Behavioral recovery (now SMART Recovery) for many years for very different reasons beyond just not drinking. And as AVRT was developed I used it not only to cement my abstinence, but I used it also to end my involvement with recovery groups and addiction treatment once and for all.

So, why am I here on SR? Because I have the time, and an altruistic streak with a audacity to believe that a little bit of time I might spend here on SR could benefit others with the avoidance of a lot of grief in the future. I am definitely NOT here because of any belief that I need to be here "to maintain my own sobriety."
Old 01-02-2013, 09:28 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nogard View Post
Hello Received and welcome to SR

Plenty of upport here, main thing to remember is that 1st for us is staying drug and alcohol free and then learning how to get on with life. As has been said many paths to that including SR, simply decide on one.

Thanks nogard. I've decided on SR and believe me I've been searching for a *place* online that felt safe. I believe I've found that place..here.

ETA: I certainly don't want my posts to compromise anyone here.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:49 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerandTwine

The first three steps of AA in particular, and all the rest in totality.
I think you would be doing the Site a favor if you stayed with your own experience what works for you...And less of the Anti AA nonsense.