Notices

13 years "sober" 5 years relapse

Old 01-02-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
There are 5 AVRT threads in the secular connections forum (the link that Dee posted). Some excellent strategies there. Great reading.

Yes, you absolutely can do this by participating here. There are many that use the information and support on SR to quit.
Wow! Thank you so much for your post. This is what I need to hear and hold onto.

Now, I need to figure out the forums which I will do sooner then later.

Thanks again for the hope you have given me.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thank you, Dee. I'll check the links out. That said, do you think I can do this by participating here?
Well I did LOL.
I may be in the minority but it's certainly possible....

I think the basis of any good recovery is not drinking or drugging and building a happy sober life.

The devil is often in the detail of the various paths to getting there.

but yeah...SR's certainly helped me

D
Old 01-02-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I would suggest starting with the first thread and reading them in order. I don't know how to put the links to the threads here or I would...lol I'm technologically butter-fingered...
Old 01-02-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Here the link to the latest AVRT thread - the first post has all the previous links and stuff in it:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-5-a.html

D
Old 01-02-2013, 07:22 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by escapist View Post
I quit Oct 14 2012. I have not had a drop since. I was a heavy drinker. I have had periods of sobriety throughout my life. All I need is one drink and I am gone. This last "relapse" was four years long. Anyway,about not attending meetings, I did'nt this time. I found this place and it has worked for me. I am not against AA I just got into such a mess I didnt trust myself to drive to a meeting. Welcome. Good things happened for me here and I hope they do for you too.
Thank you, escapist. You have given me such hope and belief I can do this, here on this forum.

Your post is so helpful and hopeful, to me.

Received
Old 01-02-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Y'all are great. I'm going to stick like glue here and so if I become obnoxious...and asking a lot of questions (I think I already have done that) then please bear with me.

I'm so pleased I found this place.

Thanks again.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:43 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by Received View Post

Originally Posted by Sapling;
Welcome to SR...I'm curious what kept you sober for 13 years?
Ahhhh, such a simple yet complicated question. The top answer would be, my children kept me sober but they grew up, moved out and then..well..why bother, I guess.
I believe you kept yourself abstinent those 13 years with a particularly admirable morality about how to be a parent. As you now contemplate that internal demand to drink some more, you can recall that morality and understand how to apply it to caring for yourself. You have every capacity to decide it is not just risky, occasionally costly and self-destructive to drink, but it is simply morally wrong for you to ever drink again; the same as it was during your parenting years.

Once you make that decision, AVRT works like a charm.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Okay, so apparently, I have to have 25 posts before I can accept friend requests or respond on someone's profile?

So to those that have so graciously reached out to me, I need a bit more posts.

Please stick with me, give me cyber punches when I need it and thank you for helping me get sober again.

Received
Old 01-02-2013, 07:46 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GerandTwine View Post
I believe you kept yourself abstinent those 13 years with a particularly admirable morality about how to be a parent. As you now contemplate that internal demand to drink some more, you can recall that morality and understand how to apply it to caring for yourself. You have every capacity to decide it is not just risky, occasionally costly and self-destructive to drink, but it is simply morally wrong for you to ever drink again; the same as it was during your parenting years.

Once you make that decision, AVRT works like a charm.
I believe you are absolutely right. Now, I just have to own that. I guess I just don't believe I, alone, am worth it.

Thanks for your amazing insight.

Received.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I just had one more question for you...And I wish you the best on your new journey...But you mentioned asking the AG to get back into AA meetings...Was it AA that kept you sober for 13 years?
Old 01-02-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
I just had one more question for you...And I wish you the best on your new journey...But you mentioned asking the AG to get back into AA meetings...Was it AA that kept you sober for 13 years?
I think you may have misunderstood. I am cut off from any/most public meeting places. I was sober, for many years, when I was put into the ACP with the AG. Now I am not sober. So I have not told the AG anything about this.

I was in AA for many years.

If you read back, Sapling, you will see the truth. I may be a drunk but I've been rigorously honest here.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:11 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Maybe I did misunderstand you...So you've never been in AA before?
Old 01-02-2013, 08:15 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Maybe I did misunderstand you...So you've never been in AA before?
Read above.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I guess I just don't believe I, alone, am worth it.
By using Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) you can fairly quickly clarify this idea.

Your Addictive Voice is essentially telling you "As a human being, you are not worth being an abstinent person. Due to your unworthiness, you must drink some more alcohol." This is actually a quite absurd idea.

Of course people can feel humble, less important, lonely, etc. for many reasons, but what dictates that this must be related to swallowing alcohol?

Why do people drink? In utilizing AVRT, people understand there's really only one reason. I won't say what that is just now.

And if you want to change your lonely or unworthy feelings, there are many ways to do that.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

It's a shame to be denied something that worked that long...For whatever reason...But I do wish you the best..I pray you find something that you can do.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:23 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GerandTwine View Post
By using Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) you can fairly quickly clarify that this idea.

Your Addictive Voice is essentially telling you "As a human being, you are not worth being an abstinent person. Due to your unworthiness, you must drink some more alcohol." This is actually a quite absurd idea.

Of course people can feel humble, less important, lonely, etc. for many reasons, but what dictates that this must be related to swallowing alcohol?

Why do people drink? In utilizing AVRT, people understand there's really only one reason. I won't say what that is just now.

And if you want to change your lonely or unworthy feelings, there are many ways to do that.
Thank you, GerandTwine. Please, please, stick with me and help me understand. I am going to stay here and do everything I can, and am told to do if y'all will maybe be a sponsor for me, so to speak.

I'm so lost right now and so angry at myself.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:27 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

It's a shame to be denied something that worked that long...For whatever reason...But I do wish you the best..I pray you find something that you can do.
Thanks, Sapling. It's beyond shame that I feel. Hopeless is probably a more accurate word.

I do appreciate your in put.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:29 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

... although I can go many days without drinking (when I'm visiting others) as soon as I get "home" I am drinking again, ...
This may be, in part, a consequence of a habituated dependence on recovery groups that almost always occurs. It's a sort of "learned helplessness" that backfires when group attendance stops for whatever reason.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:31 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hey Received,
I am doing it with the help of SR as my tool for sobriety. I joined the month of May and have been been alcohol free since. You can do it. Google free AVRT class. I wish i still had the link, I would PM it to you. I did the free class and kept posting on SR. I asked a lot of questions early on and added tools that made sense to me. Meetings were off limits for me too for different reasons. Keep posting and you will succeed.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:31 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Welcome Received!

Like Escapist and Dee SR has been my greatest support. I have attended a few different types of meetings, but found this site to be my greatest resource.

I have made sure to plan other activities for those drinking hours: exercise, reading, time on here.

Maybe you can find an online course that interests you. Looking forward to seeing you on SR!