SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I'm not Dead (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/279543-im-not-dead.html)

Redfish 01-02-2013 02:56 PM

I'm not Dead

In about the middle of November I woke up during the night one Sunday morning and I was losing blood throwing up and through my bowels to the tune of 3.5 pints. I was sober and only had about 6 or 7 drinks the day before which is nothing for me and was in bed by 9:15. I couldn’t walk 4 feet without passing out as I was extremely anemic. I spent the next 5 days in ICU getting blood transfusions to include 5 units. They diagnosed me with Esophagus Varices. This included ulcers in my esophagus which erupted. The level of blood I lost made this a life threatening situation as 5 different doctors told me 1 out of 2 people die that experience what I did. Went to a treatment center for 30 days and followed Mr. Wilson’s AA steps. Detoxing wasn’t bad as I was in ICU medicated and I don’t remember a thing.
I was extremely lucky. My employer held my job with full salary and now I’m back at work. I attend AA meetings regularly and I’ve NEVER felt better. I’ve been praying for sobriety for 2 years now and God finally addressed it for me in a very scary way. I know I’m in early stages, but my situation is simple, if I drink I die. No ifs ands or buts so I’m confident there will be no relapse as this is a lifestyle change I’m committed to. For those of you wondering I drank a ½ a bottle of Jack Daniels every night for 20 years. The last 2 years I was drinking Vodka and Grapefruit just to stay normal during the day.
If I can do this anyone can. I hope this story helps and I’m blessed to find this website.

Hevyn 01-02-2013 02:59 PM

That's wonderful news, Redfish. It's great to have you back. I'm sure your post will help others feel encouraged.

Anna 01-02-2013 03:05 PM

I'm so glad you got through that and that you are feeling well.

Dee74 01-02-2013 03:07 PM

welcome back redfish - I'm really glad you're still here :)

D

TTBABP 01-02-2013 03:07 PM

That must have been some ordeal. I a glad that you are recovering.

Zee 01-02-2013 03:12 PM

I had alcoholic hepatitis with ascites and edema, was 1 month in hospital, scared me straight! Varical bleeds are more dangerous though, I hope your portal hypertension gets better, good luck to you :) x

nogard 01-02-2013 03:30 PM

welcome back :)

duane1 01-02-2013 03:35 PM

Hi Redfish. I also quit when my medical situation mandated that I do. I am on 7 months now, so congratulations on your new life and any time the AV creeps in, remember how dire this situation is if you pick up the bottle again.

pooky 01-03-2013 07:34 AM

Good news is my father went through the same thing; esophogeal varicies,was told if he drank again he would die...he did...45 years later at the age of 87..

Missy7 01-03-2013 07:41 AM

I appreciate your story and am glad that you are winning.

I have to go to the doctor today and he is going to have figured out my problem. I'm actually looking forward to him telling me what I've been doing to myself.