Notices

Staying sober for someone else

Old 01-02-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I would have to agree with escapist. And I believe that Olympia also brings a good point in creating foods or crafts or anything really. I also believe that in order to care about your self you have to want to and by your being here and asking I think you truley do care about yourself but maybe you are not sure how to express it to yourself. Someone above in the postings suggested writting a quote on a index card. That is actually a tool used in a course I attended regarding self esteem. Repeat it over and over an some you slowly start believing it. Perhaps you have a journal, maybe start out each day with something like "I love myself today because I love my children". You can change it as frequently as you would like but I suggest each one stay for about a month or more. Depends how soon you start to believe. I can tell you that by staying sober your thoughts start to allow you to see yourself in a better way. I truly wish you peace and happiness.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
You will come to that point where you believe you are worth it. You really will.

I was under pressure from my family initially, but it didn't take very long for me to see that I was a worthwhile person who deserved a good life. That has been the best gift of recovery for me.
Yeah. I guess I look at myself and I know I would still be using drugs if I hadn't have fallen pregnant and then gotten married and had 4 more children. I know I wouldn't have stopped all those years ago. And I think, wow I had so many years jn 'recovery' and as soon as I'm not pregnant anymore I relapse. Why? I've never done it for me. Nothing's ever changed except I was clean and sober for a long tkme (and believe me I am grateful for that and am so blessed with my family. It was because I just swapped it for a raging eating disorder.

It's not enough for me anymore to just do it for someone else. I will take everyone's suggestions on board. I'm going to make this year worthwhile.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:07 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

We had an A4 piece of paper stuck to the fridge with an affirmation; "all you are right now, in this moment, is enough". I didn't put it there, but I still remind myself. It makes me remember what I'm doing, why I'm doing a, b or c and enables me to be a bit more mindful. You're enough, too-we all are

Xx
Old 01-03-2013, 03:52 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Midlifecrisis.

It's strictly IMHO, but I think that being sober for someone else can be a starting point to quit, but in the long run it can be kind of tricky. When we are sober for someone, it's like we are sharing responsibility with that person in a way, and if that person doesn't act the way we want, or dissapoints us, etc., it may be a trigger and there can be also temptation to make that person partly responsible if we relapse.

I also believe that we are often under unfluence of conventional thinking that "net of" family, good job, success and other things we are worseless. But that's not true. Would you say your close friend "You don't deserve to be sober, so go on drinking"? I don't think so.

Counselling is a good idea, my therapist helped me a lot.

My best wishes to you)
Old 01-03-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
Hi, Midlifecrisis.

It's strictly IMHO, but I think that being sober for someone else can be a starting point to quit, but in the long run it can be kind of tricky. When we are sober for someone, it's like we are sharing responsibility with that person in a way, and if that person doesn't act the way we want, or dissapoints us, etc., it may be a trigger and there can be also temptation to make that person partly responsible if we relapse.

I also believe that we are often under unfluence of conventional thinking that "net of" family, good job, success and other things we are worseless. But that's not true. Would you say your close friend "You don't deserve to be sober, so go on drinking"? I don't think so.

Counselling is a good idea, my therapist helped me a lot.

My best wishes to you)
Yep, totally agree with this! Thanks. I know there's more I just need to find it