Notices

Be careful with supplements!

Old 01-01-2013, 04:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Be careful with supplements!

I just called my doctor because despite being completely sober last night and eating healthy food I was feeling sick and going to the bathroom every five minutes. She knows I'm detoxing, but when I mentioned that I'd been taking 2g of vitamin C per day in the last 3 days to integrate and fight off a cold she said that's probably way above my current tolerance and the body reacts by flushing it out as fast as it can. Fortunately the half-life of vitamin C is pretty short so I should be done with the runs quickly...

I just wanted to share this just in case someone else is taking supplements while detoxing. If you have weird stomach pains check with your doctor and see if they might be doing more harm than good!
Old 01-01-2013, 05:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting this.

A balanced diet is far superior than vitamins and minerals.

The only supplements that are generally recommended are the those that the body needs, but can't easily obtain through diet.

Vitamin D and Omega's ( fish oil).
Old 01-01-2013, 06:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I quit I decided I needed B vits and took a multivitamin and a b complex. I used to wake up in the with itchy feet and could scratch then till they bled. I was taking too many b vits. It's best not to dabble and to see a qualified nutritionist

S x
Old 01-01-2013, 06:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I completely agree.

Just because they are marketed as 'natural supplements' does not mean they are not dangerous.

I once went for chinese herbal therapy for fatigue and I ended up in the renal unit of my local hospital. I could have suffered severe kidney damage.

Medical drugs have to go through strict clinical trials to check for safety.
This is not always the case with supplements and it's something I feel really strongly about.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There are also supplements that are liver toxic, not something most of is want to risk after abusing out bodies with alcohol our drugs.

I do take a few vitamins and fish oil with the approval of my regular doc and my hepatologist..
Old 01-01-2013, 06:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Xune View Post
Thanks for posting this.

A balanced diet is far superior than vitamins and minerals.

The only supplements that are generally recommended are the those that the body needs, but can't easily obtain through diet.

Vitamin D and Omega's ( fish oil).
I do think exercise and diet is very important for recovery and overall well-being for anyone,and it doesn't get mentioned in many 12-step meetings (too much sugary coffee, cookies, cigarettes etc!). After an addiction, it is so nice to switch to actually caring about health!

I agree the diet is the best way to get nutrients, but we don't always have time to eat right, and there are plenty of studies supporting vitamin supplementation.

I don't know if I'd start anything major while going through detox, but medical detoxes do usually prescribe thiamine and folic acid for alcoholics due to deficiency from heavy drinking.

I eat a lot of whole grains, legumes and beans, olive oil, fruits and veggies, and I drink black and green tea. My vitamin routine is simple, I take Flax oil for Omega 3, a one-a-day or centrum multivatimin, and 500mg of C, and sometimes if I am working out hemp or brown rice protein.

Shades, while 2g of vitamin C is a lot, it is probably not what is causing you to feel sick unless you have other health problems. You will probably just excrete most of it out, but too high a dose can cause kidney stones. Of course talk to your doctor if you keep feeling sick, they might run some blood tests.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I also take b's,flax or omega 369, calcium, a multi and especially vitamin D-3 2500mg as recommended for my aging bones... I also take a liver supplement with standardized milk thistle....

it's my rule of thumb to cut back on the white foods (sugar especially) and eat more green or grains.
your body can only absorb so much of the supplements/vitamins....i try to use the capsule forms, they are easier on my stomach....and i don't take everything every day.

You really should list what you take for your doctor visits....certain supplements can have adverse with scrip meds... Also Valarian (which a lot of people take for sleep problems)...should not be taken if surgery is planned... I believe that it can magnify the anesthesia....so it's absolutely important to tell the docs.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by nycguy83 View Post

Shades, while 2g of vitamin C is a lot, it is probably not what is causing you to feel sick unless you have other health problems. You will probably just excrete most of it out, but too high a dose can cause kidney stones. Of course talk to your doctor if you keep feeling sick, they might run some blood tests.
Your whole body chemistry is changing, and so don't be surprised by "the runs." Just be sure to drink lots of fluids (that should keep you running to the bathroom also).

Note that there is some evidence vitamin D supplements are harmful. I just take it once a week in winter.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Not Alone

When I first got clean I balanced my diet and used multivitamins with iron and vitamin C. Never had any ill effects so I never needed to see the doctor. My theory was it had to be better than all the crap I used to ingest. But if you feel really unwell at any time during a detox you should go and see a doctor.

Natom.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

People must get tired of me saying - always check with a Dr...but I actually made myself very sick with supplements...

after nearly 50 years it's clear I'm neither a great doctor or a great patient

thanks shades
D