Notices

The Most Extraordinary Thing

Old 12-31-2012, 07:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Most Extraordinary Thing

The most extraordinary thing. If an animal became addicted (a chimpanzee for example in a laboratory, addicted to crack cocaine) that animal would probably stay addicted and eventually die from addiction. The same for a bird. But a human? Folks may differ among themselves about what percentage of addicted persons manage lengthy recoveries (and no debates here about this please!) but the fact remains that a significant number of persons do get into recovery. We meet them on SR and elsewhere. Considering the difficulty, the sheer wonder of someone surviving and winning a battle over a divided self (part of which desperately wants the addiction to continue), regaining what was lost, beating the odds and getting it all (or most of it) back. That's something. Some will say that it couldn't happen without a higher power.But it's also a tribute to humanity, to what it means to be a human being. Happy New Year!

W.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for an inspirational post Painter!!!!
Old 01-01-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

P.S. I have heard that when there is a wounded elephant a herd of elephants gathers round to protect it from further harm. The same may be true of several other species, including humans. Since we are animals and, at least historically, pack animals, we share this characteristic with the elephants. Except that we may do it more elaborately and extensively. Elephants do not have the internet, facebook, cellphones, etc., at least not yet. Humans have all these and especially SR. It's impressive how by this website we can see people helping each other all over the world with a common problem! Like elephants gathering round. It's enough to restore one's faith in humanity after reading about all the stuff which goes on- stuff that elephants would never do...

W.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The difference between all animals and the human animal, is that we have the power of consciousness.

That is why an animal can't choose to stop it's drug seeking behaviour and get well.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's an awesome analogy wpainterw. Peanuts anyone? ;-)
Old 01-01-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's really nice W. I am going to remeber it the next time I am getting annoyed at someone. We, as humans, must help each other.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Xune wrote:
"The difference between all animals and the human animal, is that we have the power of consciousness.

That is why an animal can't choose to stop it's drug seeking behaviour and get well."

I'm not sure about birds (although I know an "attack Macaw" down in Virginia who seems to be very "conscious" about dogs, maybe "conscientious" in that he seems to take great pleasure in attacking them) but I do know dogs. And my dog is very conscious indeed, about his dinner, playing with his toys and, above all, manipulating me to get what he wants. Maybe my cerebral cortex is better developed than his, but I suspect that my amygdala (AVRT folks call it the "Beast") is also more powerful, and can get me into all sorts of trouble.
Humans are distinct in being able (sometimes!) to recover from addiction but they are also unique in other respects. They are the only animal which takes delight in inflicting pain. Animals hunt for food. Humans often hunt for pleasure. Some of them love to kill.

W.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Xune View Post
The difference between all animals and the human animal, is that we have the power of consciousness. That is why an animal can't choose to stop
Another difference is that humans are the only species to voluntarily start.