Notices

New Year's Eve Sober- Anyone else worried about it?

Old 12-31-2012, 12:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Year's Eve Sober- Anyone else worried about it?

Not that I need an excuse, but is anyone else having an issue seeing every one else able to go and get their drinks and celebrate their new years by partying and drinking?

I'm finding myself not wanting to drink, but trying to explain to myself that I'm like them...

I know I'm not, but my mind keeps tricking me into thinking I could be.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I'm not bothered by New Years at all. That's the promise of sobriety. Stay sober and you'll find it too. In the meantime, tonight would be a good night to stay home.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My mind tries to find ways to justify or rationalize drinking, tries to trick me into drinking again. It's sneaky. But I'm learning to recognize it. To me, my obsession and fantasies of being a 'normal' drinker again further proves I'm an alcoholic..because the non-alcoholic people I know don't seem to struggle with these insane thought processes.

For me, New years won't be too much of a trigger. Seems like just another day. I will watch the ball drop on TV, and stay home and read. There are a few AA meetings in my area if I need a place to go. Takin it easy, No biggie.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

See, for me, staying home is the most dangerous thing...
Old 12-31-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by TurtlePower View Post
See, for me, staying home is the most dangerous thing...
Guess I misunderstood your initial post where you wrote:

"...anyone else having an issue seeing every one else able to go and get their drinks and celebrate their new years by partying and drinking?"

If you are at home, I figured you wouldn't "see" anyone drinking. But I guess if you see them in your mind, it's just as bad.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Don't touch the booze turtlepower! You can do it. Is there anyone you can call?
Old 12-31-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boxguy View Post
Don't touch the booze turtlepower! You can do it. Is there anyone you can call?
I'm calling here...

But, it's better then going out to get something to drink, right?
Old 12-31-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm going out tonight!!! Strait to a meeting!! Maybe a couple.. We're having a pot luck deal tonight!! Hope everyone has a great 2013!!! Stay strong tonight.. New Years is a major trigger for me so I'm hanging out with my buds at the meeting!!
Old 12-31-2012, 01:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I felt the same way the first Friday night I spent sober.... Just remember those thoughts/feelings come from the addiction and you don't have to act on them.

Our addiction always romanticizes the scenario. Try playing the tape all the way through to the end result. Think about how you want to wake up tomorrow . And just keep hanging out with us - you can get through this!:ghug3
Old 12-31-2012, 01:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sometimes it helps to talk voice to voice as it were. But yes stay home and don't drink. All my friends are currently getting drunk and part of me wishes I was with them but I know it's not worth it.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Not anymore. My plans fell through and I've decided to just stay home since nothing particularly exciting is happening.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm feeling super weak right now. I have access to alcohol and keep thinking of using it... I think that's the hard part. I have access... but drinking is more than a risk... It's a death sentence... But it still doesn't feel that risky...

So confused.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I hear you box guy, 16 days in and I don't think I'm ready to be at a house party just yet.
So it's a night in for me and even thinking about going for run in the morning!! How my life has changed in even a short time, lol : )
Old 12-31-2012, 01:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am watching predators with my mum right now but I have eaten so much pizza I might burst.
If I went to a house party Alex I know I would slip
Old 12-31-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Turtle power can you get rid of the drink. I don't think I could be sat here with booze in the house it would be too much of a temptation. This is hard enough without torturing yourself.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I agree, pour it down a drain.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Turtle power,
I quit two years ago and don't care to go to parties with all the drunks saying drunk meaningless things over and over like I used to. It was a death sentence to me.

Now why aren't you responding to the offered option of going to an AA meeting? It is beginning to sound like you are just looking for an excuse. I had access to liquor the whole time. I read so many that say they could not handle it in close proximity. Folks I can drive to the liquor store in under ten minutes and be back here drinking like in the old days before I had to drink in the morning to stop shaking. My wife still drinks and keeps a half gallon of Scotch in the house. I have to move it to get to the saltines in the pantry we keep them in. What is the difference in having it in the house because, and only because, another in the house drinks normally, or having it accessible in ten minutes? I decided I don't want to drink and die too soon. I wanted to live. I wanted out of the shame and waking up scared because I wasn't sure exactly what I said or did. I wasn't a big party goer, and had my two boys when we were 19 and the second at 23. So we stayed home more often that not. Once over 30 the clubs had no attraction as the kids were too young that they were catering to, and drunks are booooooring!

Go to a meeting! Get over it. Live and prosper.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

You could have it all in front of me, I wouldn't touch a drop today!

I wish you a sober and a very Happy New Year!!
Old 12-31-2012, 02:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I agree with itchy go to a meeting. In the UK AA has a 24 hour call service you can phone if you want help. They put you in touch with someone in your area (someone fmthe same gender) who will meet you or meet you at a meeting. I'm guessing it will be the same where you are from.
Please give the line a call now, I think it will help you.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Not worried, new years never meant much to me. hell every day used to be new years
dub