Notices

Back and Forth

Old 12-31-2012, 07:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back and Forth

Man this isn't easy. It is so hard to wrap my head around the fact that I cannot manage alcohol. It's not rocket science or anything. One innocent drink never does anything but lead me down the rabbit hole.

So here I am again, admitting to a very complex Day One after stacking hangovers for days. I feel awful today--sweaty, shaky, blah, blah, blah.

But at least I got on SR. So here I am. I admit I have a problem. I think I'm always willing to say that, but I have to find a way to fix it and keep it fixed.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Admitting you have a problem is a big first step. The logical question would be, are you ready to do something about it?

I drank for days on end. I was every type of drinker there is: binger, every other day, once in awhile and finaly every day.

Remember how you feel now and where taking that first drink will lead you.
Have you considered a program of sobriety? It works for many.

Wishing you the best in the new year.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Missy!

Me too. I can't manage alcohol either.

I'm always glad to see you.

My last hungover morning left me DONE. DONE DONE DONE. So heartsick, so DONE.

Every morning sober since then has been better than that.

Wishing you a peaceful day, a peaceful night, and a glorious sober morning tomorrow.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

with time and support you will eventually won't even feel like going back to Alcohol.

glad you are posting!
Old 12-31-2012, 07:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm so tired of it, and it's so complicated. I know the solution is very simply--just don't pick up. And I am always so happy on Day two, three, four...I've gone as much as a month and was very proud of myself and felt and looked great. Then I cave.

It's dark, dark, dark. I hope I make it through this day.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome back...

I hate to sound so old cliche, but what are you going to do differently this time to get the sobriety result?
Old 12-31-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome back to SR x
Old 12-31-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

One thing I have learned this last time getting sober is that we really can do what we want to do.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know Fandy. I know.

One thing I must do is stop associating my problem with my husband's drinking. He is an enabler, and I enable him. Period. So I have to deal with my self and my own life.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

that sounds like a great plan missy. this is about you know not him.

Stick with it for you and he might learn from your example and decide to give it up also.

stay strong, we can do this together on SR!
Old 12-31-2012, 08:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Missy7 View Post
I know Fandy. I know.

One thing I must do is stop associating my problem with my husband's drinking. He is an enabler, and I enable him. Period. So I have to deal with my self and my own life.
Yikes.

Have you had this discussion with your husband? How does one go about staying sober with an enabling 'alcoholic' or 'problem drinker' as their spouse?

If I had that living arrangement, in my moments of weakness, my addiction would know what buttons to push in order to get fed booze.

Fortunately, in my few moments of weakness, my addiction is well aware my wife supports and will only stand for sobriety.

I do hope you are able to have an open and honest discussion with your husband.

Alcohol is apparently not an option for you and it seems abundantly clear that your husband enabling you should also be off the table.

Good luck.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Missy I do (did) that with my daughter, I would tell her how much she needed to quit drinking, then invite her over for a bottle or 3 of wine. Three weeks ago i woke up decided i only can keep myself from drinking its working, we now still get together offten but only sobor. My family was so happy that we had a totaly sobor Christmas. I have 5 kids and all their spouses and 11 grandkids so that is alot of sobor in one house. best wishes to you make this your sobor beginning. Hugs
Old 12-31-2012, 09:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

"a lot of sober in one house" I really like that saying!

I serve alcohol when i invite family to dinner...(i'm the only one with the problem). after the party, it gets packed into a box and sent home with my brother. I might keep a little condiment jar of red wine (4 ounces) for cooking only to flavor some gravy.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have no alcohol in the house, and I did get through to dinner on Christmas without a single drink
that was a first. Then I had some wine, then stopped at a bar after dropping a relative off at home.

It was very nice to have a soberish Christmas--usually I'm tanked by the time I get dinner going.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Keeping it fixed any way that works...agree that's highly important. Otherwise, we wind up needing fixing over and over.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Missy,

Welcome back to SR! When I first joined under a different name you were one of the first people to reach out and support me, it took me a little longer until I was really ready to be done for good.

Today is Day 81 for me, and logging on here daily, meeting with a counselor and occasionally going to meetings (AA, WFS, and a few through my insurance helped). My husband still drinks daily, and while he has cut down, I do not think he will ever stop, but I knew I needed to stop for me, and for my kids. Before this 16 days was the longest I could string together (except for remaining sober during 3 pregnancies).

I am glad you logged on today, I am sorry you feel so lousy. 2013 can be a great year for you. Let us know how you are doing later, and tomorrow.

Also, try reading Diary of an Alcoholic Housewife it was one of my favorites.

Sending hugs!!!:ghug3
Old 12-31-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks Delilah. I'm better this afternoon. I've done some laundry and drove out for a coffee. The world is still ticking right along.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to see you again Missy
I really hope you can make 2013 your year

D
Old 12-31-2012, 03:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm on it Dee.