Notices

Anyone Available to Talk?

Old 01-02-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks to all of you who responded to me on Monday. I was having a very rough morning, as I have so many, many times before, regretting the day of drinking before. The pathetic thing is that after a day or two, no matter how bad things were, i'm good to go again and ready to drink, only to repeat the vicious cycle. I know it's coming as I drink, yet I do it anyways. I see so many posts on here asking "am I an alcoholic?" For me, I certainly know the answer.

I know what I must do. I must stop before I hurt myself or someone else. I must be a better husband and father. I must be a better example for my boys. I must be 100% PRESENT in their lives, not thinking I am present but drunk in the same room, forgetting conversations, what we watched on TV, what book I read them, being too hungover to play or care, etc, etc. I am so f'ing sick of it. All of it, and I am disgusted with myself for it.

There are so many things over the years I regret doing, saying and not doing, and the vast majority of them were alcohol induced in some way, shape or form. I'm not sure I will ever forgive myself. But by the grace of God I am here and with many blessings at that, and I realize how much more important that is. At some point I am going to spill my guts here on my 20 years of execssive drinking and all the "fun" times I had, that I now so sorely regret. I know it will make me feel better. For now I don't want to think about it and am focusing all of my energy on the present.

Thanks to you all again. I plan to be here reading A LOT, and will post when I can. I'm not big on the posting part but I know I need to get involved and not just be a spectator. Here's to a 2013 I can proud of. Please God give me the strength to do this.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hello My Friend and Welcome,

Im with you - my story sounds similar to yours. Finally quit on Sept 17, 2012 after 25 years of heavy drinking - blowing money, not taking care of my home and family like I should.

I finally realized it had to change. Now Im in AA, working the program, taking 1 day at a time and trying to put the painful past and guilt behind me. I realize each sober day helps me build a better past and hopefully a better future.

GoodLuck
Old 01-02-2013, 07:48 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Fellow Floridian here! Last Christmas I was in your boat...drank, drank, drank, hungover, then drunk again. All in front of my kid and family. And like you, although I "handle" it well to the observer, I was a mess inside. Guilt, fear, anxiety, depression...but put on a happy go lucky face like nothing was wrong. This year, I celebrated Christmas and New Years sober and it was truly amazing.
I think it's very important and a big "light bulb" that you are realizing you have a problem. Keep coming back, this site has helped me so much!
Old 01-02-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Good stuff!

You should consider making a short term commitment to not drink alcohol. That is what will get you past drinking once you feel a little better. 30 days/60 days(even better). You need that much time to give yourself some perspective and to begin to experience the benefits of sobriety.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:45 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I've committed to staying sober for the month of January to see what it feels like. I do better with short term goals mentally. It will be the longest I have gone in probably 20 years. So sad, but true. I look back at what I've wasted and it makes me sick.

Day 4 and moving forward. It felt so good to wake up this morning and not be hungover, I can tell you that.

I'm reading and reading on here quite a bit. I'm in awe at the support and help everyone offers to each other. Complete strangers all fighting the same demon.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:57 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hey dude here.
stick around here, good people. I also know from experience that going to AA helps alot, for me. I messed up a while back when I stopped going. Good to be around that I think. Back motion with this disease doesnt work...
Best
dub