SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Love and a slow painful death. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/279202-love-slow-painful-death.html)

English 12-31-2012 02:52 AM

Love and a slow painful death.

My Story:

I grew up in a loving middle class family. A good area of England, nice house and a good school. I had a large group of friends and lived a very healthy life style. I got a good job and in my twenties I travelled the world. I met a girl and married her. We had two healthy sons. We had a large house and everybody was proud of me. But I was drinking too much. But I did not want to stop.

My drinking was out of control. I lost my good job ( a manager for Mercedes-Benz ), my beautiful wife left me. I lost my sons. My large house was sold. My cars were gone. But I still drank to much. I moved away and got a new flat. I ran out of money and lost my flat.

I moved in with my parents. But started drinking even more. They had enougth and threw me out. My friends could not deal with me and my drinking. I ended up on the street for a week. I started drinking more. I moved in to a homeless hostel and stayed two and a half years.

Things got alot worst. I was told by doctors I was drink dependant. I started to **** myself, **** myself and black out all the time. I did not eat, but still got fat. My hair was long and had a beard. I did not wash and smelt all the time. My teeth started to rot and fall out. I fell over drunk and badly broke my leg. I ended up in hospital in a bad way. The doctors said I had been admitted to hospital 42 times in two years. Found blacked out. I was told my liver and kidneys were in a very bad state. My bones were crumberling and my eye sight was going to fall. If I did not stop drinking now I would be dead within a year and die a slow painful death. But I still kept drinking.

I loved drinking, It would never hurt me, It loved me

On the 31st October 2012 it was my 43rd birthday. I awoke at 7.am and drank a bottle of vodka for breakfast. My parents bought my sons round. They cried and got very upset. They left. I looked into the mirror and saw myself for the first time in twenty years. I was a ghost of a man. I swore I would never drink again. The next two weeks were hell. Shakes, sweats, seeing things, throwing up all the time and fitting. But I did it. I joined a goverment backed support group and now go three times aweek.

I am now two months sober. I had a great christmas with my family, my two sons included. I no longer want to drink or need to drink.
I have a new love in my life it's called a sober-life.

Thank you.

coraltint 12-31-2012 03:05 AM

woof. thanks for letting me know what's still out there waiting for me.

tanja 12-31-2012 03:35 AM

English,

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I am so happy to hear of your sobriety. Congratulations on 2 months:day6

Dee74 12-31-2012 03:42 AM

Thanks for sharing English.
I moved your thread to Newcomers - more people will see it here :)

D

Paul123456 12-31-2012 03:44 AM

excellent stuff, really happy to read this

well done and keep it up

Boxguy 12-31-2012 03:48 AM

Well done English, keep it up. You are an inspiration.

shadesofgray 12-31-2012 03:51 AM

Your story almost made me cry. Keep up the good fight.

Sasha4 12-31-2012 03:56 AM

You are part of our family now.
Its nice to have you with us.
There are quite a few of us from the Uk here.
I hope you post more xxxx

Thepatman 12-31-2012 04:01 AM

love your post. Shows that there is always hope not matter what!

dedubya 12-31-2012 04:21 AM

Wow dude
That is moving. I kind of know about that. Thanks for being here.
dub

heath480 12-31-2012 04:26 AM

Thankyou for sharing your story with us English.

Congratulations on 2 months.

Wishing you well.

ReadyAtLast 12-31-2012 04:29 AM

wow-great thread english, keep up the great work

Lionhearted1 12-31-2012 04:40 AM

Happy new English, keep fighting for your life and your sons..

wpainterw 12-31-2012 04:46 AM

Wow! Keep it up! Every good wish for the new year!

W.

ttbp 12-31-2012 05:13 AM

:c011: Well done on your two months.

Thank you for sharing your story with us. xxxx

English 12-31-2012 06:14 AM

Thank you all for your kind posts. Have a great and happy new year.

Kind Regards,

MIRecovery 12-31-2012 06:35 AM

Congrats!!! It can be done and you are doing it

English 12-31-2012 08:45 AM

I must add that SR has been a god send to me. The stories I read have helped me through the hard times and make me know I am not alone.

Thanks to you all.

RevivingOphelia 12-31-2012 08:58 AM

(((English)))

So glad you decided to live the sober life. Thank you so much for sharing your moving story. Wishing you nothing but happiness from here on in!

losteverything 12-31-2012 09:45 AM

Thank you, English.... we share similiar stories.. keep up the great work..