Notices

Same place, 2 different Christmas experiences.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Idiot!

Same place, 2 different Christmas experiences.

Everyone is sitting in the kitchen/diner. I'm in the living room watching tv, alone. U can hear them laughing, having fun. I'm climbing the walls, alternating between tears and rage that I can't be in there "enjoying" a drink at Christmas with my family. Its my sister's house. I give up and go home, leaving them to their merriment.

Flip forward a few years to this iyear. I'm now almost 3 years without a drink. I'm sitting in that kitchen/diner with everyone having a laugh. I'm at the big table amongst all the various bottles and drinks and people enjoying drinking - none of whom seem to have any drinking issues BTW. I'm there for a long time before it strikes me that I even had/have a problem with booze. It was a very nice feeling. Thinking back to that lonely misery on my own in the past when I thought I was doomed to being MR BORING for the rest of my days. Ha!Ha!Ha!

I made 4 or 5 trips running everyone home. Funny thing was no one was bladdered! Previously I was sure they all would have been. It was a pleasure being fit enough to be able to do so.

Early on in sobriety it can feel like its never going to get better. And it never seems to happen anywhere near quick enough. If I knew then what I knew now I would have been able to just R.E.L.A.X. a wee bit more I wouldn't have expected too much too soon but would have had the firm conviction that things WOULD eventually get SO much easier.

I wish you the best for the new year guys, and if you are struggling, hang in there, its just another day.

Stu.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done Chopper! Your story is inspirational. I am on my second day sober and I hope I can have the same success as well.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I feel the same!!! Just keep thinking I'm not gonna have a laugh anymore
Old 12-31-2012, 03:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great story Chopper.
It is such great feeling when that obsession to drink leaves us isn't it?

I managed 2 Christmas parties, and a household of dysfunctional family members and it didnt cross my mind to drink.

I never thought it possible. But it does actually happen!

Hang in there guys. It is so worth it x
Old 12-31-2012, 03:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wonderful. Hopeful news for the New Year!
Old 12-31-2012, 03:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Thanks! Very motivating and inspiring.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChopperTS View Post
Early on in sobriety it can feel like its never going to get better. And it never seems to happen anywhere near quick enough. If I knew then what I knew now I would have been able to just R.E.L.A.X. a wee bit more I wouldn't have expected too much too soon but would have had the firm conviction that things WOULD eventually get SO much easier.
Thanks Stu This really needs repeating often. Mind you, I think I wanted to punch people who told me it got better early on ... It does though x
Old 12-31-2012, 07:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Wonderful post Chopper-very motivating! It really helps to look back and see what a big change in your life quitting makes. Happy New Year to you as well!
Old 12-31-2012, 07:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChopperTS View Post
I made 4 or 5 trips running everyone home. Funny thing was no one was bladdered! Previously I was sure they all would have been. It was a pleasure being fit enough to be able to do so.
I haven't learned to drive yet for my sins, but I plan to do this when I do learn which will hopefully be next year.