Notices

Back in aa back at home..

Old 12-30-2012, 03:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Back in aa back at home..

So today I went to my first meeting in 3 months after swearing I would never go back to aa again or that's what my addiction said anyways.

In the past 3 months I have tried many ways to stay sober from books to church to other methods but none of them gave me the great feeling i had tonight from sitting with my fellow man and seeing the hope and peace in the eyes of them.

I have bashed aa for months for no reason and they still accept me with open arms and for that iam grateful as tonight I felt I was home and safe and for the first time in months I felt hope, hope that I can with the help off aa overcome and live an amazing life sober.

Thank god for aa.

Happy new year...
Old 12-30-2012, 03:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Hope you find what you are looking for, LionHearted. Keep us posted, OK? Best to you.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy New Year to you Lionhearted

D
Old 12-30-2012, 03:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good to hear from you and good news about AA too. You sound centred.

Happy new year Lionhearted.

S x
Old 12-30-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Glad you are finding peace.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad you found something that is working for you Lion!!
Old 12-30-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're working on your recovery.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Originally Posted by Lionhearted1 View Post
So today I went to my first meeting in 3 months after swearing I would never go back to aa again or that's what my addiction said anyways.

In the past 3 months I have tried many ways to stay sober from books to church to other methods but none of them gave me the great feeling i had tonight from sitting with my fellow man and seeing the hope and peace in the eyes of them.

I have bashed aa for months for no reason and they still accept me with open arms and for that iam grateful as tonight I felt I was home and safe and for the first time in months I felt hope, hope that I can with the help off aa overcome and live an amazing life sober.

Thank god for aa.

Happy new year...
Your story here sounds like mine on so many levels. I resisted it also for the longest time just to simply resist it. I tried countless other methods in vain but eventually all my efforts led back full circle to the rooms of AA. I decided I would actually give it a try with complete honesty and willingness to really just see what would happen. And ya know what? It's been working for me. Incredible and miraculous, in fact.

Work them steps! They really do for us what we can't do for ourselves on so many levels.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You put in the effort...Those promises materialize!....Have a great sober New Year!!
Old 12-30-2012, 04:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for this post. I have this urge to go back but am totally nervous about it because it has been so long. I feel like the old timers will raise their eye brows when I walk in. But hey! Its not all about me right!?
Im so glad you feel like you are going home when you go there. I feel like Im going back to a room full of strangers and scary feelings and more encouragement of prayer.
Your post inspires me that its not all about that at all. I personally wish I could just get over that.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Do whatever it takes.
I'm so glad you felt comfortable and at peace. Lots of people recover through AA.

A sober life is all we want for each other. Enjoy your New Year.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good for you!! I hear from other SR members about 90 meetings in 90 days.

Go for it?
Old 12-30-2012, 05:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

cool beans!!
"I felt hope, hope that I can with the help off aa overcome and live an amazing life sober."
yup, you can.
We have shown how we got out from under. You say, "Yes, I'm willing. But am I to be consigned to a life where I shall be stupid, boring and glum, like some righteous people I see? I know I must get along without liquor, but how can I? Have you a sufficient substitute?"

Yes, there is a substitute and it is vastly more than that. It is a fellowship in Alcoholics Anonymous. There you will find release from care, boredom and worry. Your imagination will be fired. Life will mean something at last. The most satisfactory years of your existence lie ahead. Thus we find the fellowship, and so will you.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

All the best L.H. !

Bob R
Old 12-30-2012, 07:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Yeah I swore off AA too. Just didnt want to admit I could gain something from it to myself I guess. It was a humbling experience to darken those doors again and quite frankly I was very ashamed.

Luckily I was welcomed with smiles and when I mentioned I was drinking all I was told was 'thats what we do'.

I was welcomed back here too luckily. I guess weve all been there done that when youre an addict.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Originally Posted by NewHouse2012 View Post
Thank you for this post. I have this urge to go back but am totally nervous about it because it has been so long. I feel like the old timers will raise their eye brows when I walk in. But hey! Its not all about me right!?
Im so glad you feel like you are going home when you go there. I feel like Im going back to a room full of strangers and scary feelings and more encouragement of prayer.
Your post inspires me that its not all about that at all. I personally wish I could just get over that.
You will get there. For me, this was stemming from fear of the unknown. Fear that something might actually work. Fear of losing my identity with alcohol and drugs. They were who I was for such a long time that it was engrained in me that it was who I was, would forever be, and I was afraid of being someone new (the real me). It's been quite an experience.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
High on Life

Glad you found something that works for you.......
Old 12-30-2012, 09:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
AA Member

I was struggling a while back about what others would think when I walked back in the rooms. Then a moment of truth came to me and I knew this disease could very easily kill me. Am I willing to sacrifice my life because of what others think? The answer for me is a resounding NO. With each meeting I go to it has become easier and easier to be there. I am one of those alcoholics who can't make it without Alcoholics Anonymous...pure and simple. Each day I pray for the willingness to do what is suggested to me in the Program by people who have what I want. I find the hope in those rooms that I find nowhere else in the world. Think I'll stay.

Kat
Old 12-30-2012, 10:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Sounds like you have put the brakes on the hell bound train. It takes courage, and more than a little humility to do what you did.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It's a good place for honest answers.