Notices

New here

Old 12-30-2012, 10:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here

okay so i'm new here. I've always wondered if I need help and didn't know where to turn.... I started drinking when I was 20 mostly because people made fun of me for not drinking and I was shy..... when I started I realized that it made me more outgoing and I could hang out with my friends and not get made fun of. Now however when I start drinking I can't stop. When I have that first drink I feel this euphoric warm feeling throughout my body and I just want more. I feel like I need a drink every day but my problem is that when I start I can't stop and want more and more... I drink until I black out and make poor decisions....
Old 12-30-2012, 02:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Leasha
I think a lot of us can identify with not having an 'off switch'...after many many years of trying to make it work, I find the best solution is simply not to drink - that way the switch never gets tripped.

You'll find a lot of support and understanding here - good to have you join us

D
Old 12-30-2012, 03:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

I was never able to find that magical off switch. I couldn't stop once I started. And when not drinking I was completely bitter at the world (while drinking as well). Then I found others like me and took suggestions as to what they did and how they achieved sobriety. Life has been nothing short of wonderful compared to how it was before.

I wish you all the best.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes the only thing that you will get lasting peace from is not drinking at all.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome leasha. It's great to have you join the family.

I started drinking to be more sociable, too. It seemed like the perfect answer for a self-conscious person. I never dreamed it would take over my world. In the end, no amount was enough to satisfy me - and my life was ruled by when my next drink would be. I tried for years to control it, but willpower wouldn't work. I had to admit I couldn't touch it at all. Every time I picked up I was putting myself in danger.

Congratulations on coming here to talk about it, and for wanting to make this big change in your life. You can do it.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your support. It feels so good to finally be able to talk to people about this and have people understand. Today is my day 1 to stop drinking. Any tips or advice for me to continue sobriety ?
Old 12-30-2012, 05:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR ((Leasha))!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-30-2012, 05:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you, Leasha!

I found that changing my routines in the first several days really helped. My drinking time was early evening, washing up, etc. So, I made myself go out and walk, a lot, and it helped enormously.

And, do keep reading and posting here.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Huh?

I also am shy, and really had no interest in/taste for alcohol. Until I saw how alcohol made me so much less "socially awkward."

Then, I was drinking all by myself, everyday, because I had drank enough over the years to become physically addicted to it. And what a beast it has become....

We are inner thinkers us introverts, we've gotta get back to that inner self to regain our strength. So what if we're socially awkward without alcohol? If people make fun of us for it, then we're not spending time with the right friends for ourselves. Screw those other people.

Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Welcome.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR leasha, glad you're here! You'll find lots of wisdom and support