Old 12-30-2012, 10:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Kza

New Years Resolutions

No need to ask what everyone's new years resolutions are
Old 12-30-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How are you Kza?
I made NYE resolution last yr. I didn't quite make it & I felt like a failure.... yet again. I was fed up with myself. I did manage to quit January 14,2012.

My point is.... don't ever give up trying to quit. I tried for 2 yrs to moderate, 2 more to quit, etc.
one day it finally stuck. Keep trying. Let this year be the one.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi again Kza

I don't do New Years resolutions anymore...these days, if there's something I need to change I try to get on to it right away

I hope you can make 2013 your year - happy new year!

D
Old 12-30-2012, 03:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Lovely to see you again Kza x

While I like Dee's idea I am procrastinator extraordinaire and like waiting for these occasions to quit stuff. I gave up booze for lent and now I will give up chocolate for my New Years resolution. Or maybe I'll leave it for lent...
Old 12-30-2012, 03:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well, I am resolving to get and stay hopeful and optimistic. I realized that most of my problems in life stem from poor coping skills in ordinary situations: anything happens, anything at all, and I get thrown off-kilter. Of course the drinking doesn't help; probably in the distant past it was the result of said poor coping skills (when I started long ago I was a teen and didn't know what I was doing), but right now it's one of the causes. Or was, if I manage to stay sober. Anyway, I want to be able to see everyday problems for what they are, as opposed to Mount Doom every time. I want to be able to navigate life with a positive attitude, in the hope that it gets me where I want to be without any chemical help.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

well mine is to stop the drink but i did not want to wait until the 1st as its just another excuse to get two more days of drinking so i started today
Old 12-30-2012, 03:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't do them...never have.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Face the fears that underlie my addiction. Off the top of my head, things like...

Like.... I can't do things right, I'm a fool, I'm a freak, I'll never fit in, i dont deserve a normal sane life, i cannot maintain an orderly life, OR

People will make fun of me, people will talk about me, people will disapprove, people will judge, people will pity me, people will make me pay... OR

How dare I try to improve my life, who do I think I am, others have it so much worse....

Oh I think y'all get the idea!!
Old 12-30-2012, 04:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

write a book.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Stop eating mars bars and cheese and onion crisps.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am glad I quit before the holidays, because this way I will not have the chance to lie to myself and say I will quit after the 1st. This also means that I will not be putting myself into a terrible situation by being slobbering drunk by 1 am. I had a terrible new years last year. I got very drunk and tried making out with women at midnight who wanted no part of it. Later that night, I got thrown out of a party in which I made a total fool of myself and then proceeded to challenge a group of people to fight me...needless to say I felt humiliated and terrible the next day. I am a little embarrassed to think of it still, but I also think it is a step forward to remind myself of why I don't want to drink anymore, because in the past I have only thought of the "good times" when I quit drinking rather than realizing that over the last couple years I can't even remember when the last time was that drinking produced anything close to a fun night or a decent following day.

The closest I ever came to a "fun time" was a night where things just passed and there was no trouble and I didn't offend anyone. And even on those nights I was too drunk to remember the next day fully whether I was a "good drunk" or not. All I know for sure is that I never want to return to the lifestyle of waking up with a splitting headache and an ominous terrible feeling, spending the entire day piecing the prior night together in my anxious thoughts. It is a hell to wake up that way, where even after a "good night" I awoke terrified that I did something wrong the night before, or I said careless things or put myself or others into danger...

This year I plan to spend my new years in peace and quiet, thinking about the coming year and the opportunities that it brings. I am going to spend the evening thinking about things.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

shadesofgray that post of your is soooo me! Doom and gloom...anything that happens..i feel the sky is falling. Oh I wish I was not like that. I just cannot seem to roll with the punches. My NY goal is to live a more simple life and rid of stuff I do not need/use . I want to sell my house and move to a small simple house in the city. I am going to pack up all my items when I move and just take out what I need to live with and the rest is going to charity. I am reading about Zen Habits and really want to adopt more zen habits and living in the moment. Wish me luck because this will be a big change for me but in the
right direction. Simple living......
Old 12-30-2012, 06:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

While I think about them, and may have light discussion, I also do not make hard and serious resolutions for the New Year. It is the same stuff i try to resolve to do every week! Eat better, be more fun for my kids, be a better friend, connect to those i have neglected, etc...

Though the chocolate one sounds like a good plan! I have been eating so much of it since Christmas! Kids and hubby gave this *diabetic* way too much of it, and I have been enjoying it. It has to stop. new Year's or not.