Notices

feels like an upcoming relapse - any ideas?

Old 12-30-2012, 09:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

feels like an upcoming relapse - any ideas?

Substance abuse is not the only problem but it seems like the source of everything, so... here's my story.

I think that I'm an addict since years - I just controlled that situation and I was able to keep it hidden (so far). I haven't been caught in the act, or something like that - so I denied it for years. I've had breaks in using when I tried to live without drugs, but usually it lasted no more that six months.

I thought that I'm clever and strong. I - still - was successful at the university. I thought that I managed the situation and I will quit when I will want. I didn't have friends (because I was convinced that I don't need anybody), or a serious partner. I've had relationships, but my record is four months. Then I just dumped my partners - every time. I broke some hearts. I didn't care.

Problems arised in 2009. Family + university + ending up another relationship (this time with a sense of guilt). I had a serious crisis. Depression - a doctor said. I did drugs, I drank, I hurt myself, I didn't leave home except from parties (just to have sex) and to get another drugs. I didn't attend to classes - so they threw me away from studies. That self-destructive trance ended up with a suicide attempt. But still - I kept addiction in secret. All that time nobody knew who I really was.

I was never the same after that. Something broke inside. But I repeated a year at studies and I got a chance to get another degree. I thought that I'm going to be fine again - then everything started to fall apart. I realized that I can't study anymore, that maybe I never wanted that, maybe I even hate that. I started to feel worse and worse, I couldn't write thesis so I knew that eventually they're gonna throw me away again, and this time I won't survive this. Studying was always my everything...

That's when I met HER. She's different from the others. We became friends. She was good to me and the more she knew me - the more she wanted to help me. For the first time in my life I didn't want to be a liar. I wanted to be honest, open. I just couldn't. But she stayed - even if I was a cold jerk so many times. She teached me a lot about tenderness. She became close to me, but not so abruptly. Something changed.

I wasn't able to cope with that normally. A thought that I actually care about her and maybe I love her was scary. A thought that she will find out how weak am I and leave me was hard to bear. I did more drugs and I started to mix them. I got back to drinking - everything to cope with the day at the univeristy, and to kill feelings that I didn't understand. One day at January I was so stupid that I probably overdosed. I woke up next day, at the floor. It took me a while to remember my own name and to figure out what happened. I got scared. I realized that I could die. I talked that day with her and she noticed that something was wrong with me. She started to ask questions. I wanted to leave but she didn't let me. I gave up and I told her everything. Surprisingly she didn't reject me. I don't do drugs since that day. I'm trying to treat myself better just for her. I don't want to worry her anymore.

I finished studying. I just got a job. Everything should be okay. It was - for a long time, until she faced her problems and she started to need my help and support. I'm doing my best, but it's not enough. I just can't watch her suffering. I'm helpless. It breaks me. I don't know how to deal with these emotions. It feels like an upcoming relapse. Honestly. Like I already lost it. Like I'm unable to do anything to prevent it.

I know that I can't do that to her. That would be a betrayal. I won't be worth her anymore. I should be with her, if I love her - not lie and hide like a coward again. I promised that.

I started a therapy just to make sure that I do everything that I can in a healthy way. I can't do drugs, so I started to have different urges. Better a small fish than an empty dish, you know. If somebody would tell me "drink/hurt yourself/go and f*ck somebody/just kill yourself, it's fine" and I'd know that he/she's telling the truth I'd do that until I'd pass out or die.

BUT it's not fine. So I behave myself, but every day is such a struggle... It's a living hell. What else can I do with myself to hold on?
Old 12-30-2012, 10:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I'm just gonna bump this up a bit...

If you were in AA or NA, you could share at a meeting, or call your sponsor or someone on the phone list
Old 12-30-2012, 10:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

...yes, I am in a hurry... we heat with wood, it was cold last night, and I'm having trouble with the fire...

You need a community. The internet doesn't count. Here, people can ignore you if your post seems like too much trouble.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
If you were in AA or NA, you could share at a meeting, or call your sponsor or someone on the phone list
I never was... I just attend (weekly) at counseling with a therapist who specializes in addiction. But I just started that. I feel like I need more time to learn how to count on that. Simultaneously I know that I don't have time and I don't know how much longer can I hold on. Tick tock, tick tock...

You need a community.
*sigh* You're undeniably right.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

...yes, I am in a hurry... we heat with wood, it was cold last night, and I'm having trouble with the fire...

You need a community. The internet doesn't count. Here, people can ignore you if your post seems like too much trouble.
Agreed, call AA.but I can empathise with you, stay strong.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I understand, because I am also having issues now. With the holidays most of my friends are busy, so I am alone with it. It is helping to read here, but I am just trying to hang on till the new year.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boxguy View Post
Agreed, call AA.
I will. I just need to know that I'm doing everything that I can (even if I'm scared to call as hell).

I will, because I really DON"T want a relapse - but no matter what I want it seems that I'm still slipping away.

but I can empathise with you, stay strong.
Thank you.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Good decision!
Post back and let us know how your meeting went! Lots of folks are afraid of their first meeting and then come back and tell everybody how nice it was.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

...it's still 34° outside...fire going okay...

2, spend some time browsing the forum here. Read through people's experiences--you will see how low you will go unless you stay sober.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
Good decision!
Post back and let us know how your meeting went! Lots of folks are afraid of their first meeting and then come back and tell everybody how nice it was.
So see you at Friday, if I dare. (Yes, I will, goddamnit).

2, spend some time browsing the forum here. Read through people's experiences--you will see how low you will go unless you stay sober.
Okay.

Thank you all for your words. I really appreciate it.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sounds like you have a lot going on right now, and although drinking may seem like a way to numb or escape your problems they will still be there when you sober up, and then you will be dealing with them hungover.

I do not use AA, but have attended a few meetings, and sometimes it helps just to listen to others in the same situation. I have gone to some meetings through my insurance and some WFS meetings as well, but this site, reading lots and exercise have helped me to refocus my brain.

Go to a meeting, call a friend, or hang out on here today. Sending you some virtual hugs. :ghug3
Old 12-30-2012, 01:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

More drugs than drinking - so I chcecked NA meeting. Still - you're right, Delilah1. It won't solve the situation. It will only make it worse.

I wonder how am I gonna deal with the fact that I usually don't speak a lot. Recently I'm literally mute.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR 2inconsolable

you will find support here - I recommend the Class of December thread (also in this forum) as well

I consider SR saved my life. It's been very important to me.

Far be it from me to steer people away form any kind of support, but frankly this community works for me in a way a face to face community would not.

It's probably best you don't state your opinions as facts CF?

D
Old 12-31-2012, 08:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Don't know where to put this...

I'm sober so that's fine. But I've done another stupid thing to compensate that. Now I feel guilty. And I want more.

Just wanted to admit that... I know now that I seriously need help. I really surprised myself today. I thought that I'm stronger. I'm not. I'm terribly weak.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I thought I was weak too 2inconsolable....turns out the further I got away from my old life, and the more I faced stuff instead of running away, the stronger I found I was.

I'm sure you'll find the same too - have a little patience and be gentle with yourself

D
Old 01-01-2013, 08:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Oh, 2, I wish I could just come and drag you out of bed and take you on the AA hike today. Hope you're doing okay.

Don't worry about talking at meetings. Say "I'll pass," and you're off the hook.

Please try to do something good for yourself today. There are meetings happening now or soon in an area near you.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you both for support.

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I thought I was weak too 2inconsolable....turns out the further I got away from my old life, and the more I faced stuff instead of running away, the stronger I found I was.
That's the point - facing stuff instead of running away. I hope that next time I'll choose wisely.

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm sure you'll find the same too - have a little patience and be gentle with yourself
I try. Time will show. I think that I should be more kind to myself instead of getting nervous because "I'm weak" and turning against myself.

Oh, 2, I wish I could just come and drag you out of bed and take you on the AA hike today. Hope you're doing okay.
I'm better. I hope that I won't repeat that. I need to think like this - otherwise it wouldn't make any sense to hold on.

Please try to do something good for yourself today. There are meetings happening now or soon in an area near you.
I talked with someone that I trust. It wasn't easy but it helped.

Friday = meeting. I'm certain.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

How are you doing?

I had a rough holiday and it was hard because I did not have anyone to talk to. Thank goodness it is over.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi inconsolable,

Feels like the weight of the world is on your shoulders, huh?

You are just feeling that way because you are just beginning to help yourself, and someone you love, and you don't want to let down NOW needs you.

HMMMMM--Lets see. You have done an amazing thing in giving up alcohol, so you are NOT weak

You have taken a really smart road in seeking a therapist. He can help you so much if you are honest with him about your drug use.

I am not familiar with drug addiction--I am just a drunk, but we have a thing called AL-Anon that might be something you can direct your girlfriend to go to while you attend an AA meeting. Maybe she just needs to let go of her problem with others dealing with recovery in a partner.

You loved her enough to take a stance and come clean with her---loving someone more than your drug of choice is a great start, and it takes a lot of courage. Remember YOU come first or you will be of no help to her.

Seek advice from your therapist, he can give you the right direction to head.

We will always be here for you and your girlfriend, so use us.

Here's to only the UPSIDE of 2013 for the both of you,

Trix
Old 01-01-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by miamifella View Post
How are you doing?
It feels like being mentally beaten up but I'm also hopeful that I'll be fine.

Originally Posted by miamifella View Post
I had a rough holiday and it was hard because I did not have anyone to talk to. Thank goodness it is over.
Thank goodness. You made it.

BTW the more I stay sober the more I value talking to the others. A year ago I didn't know that it can be helpful.

Originally Posted by TrixMixer View Post
Feels like the weight of the world is on your shoulders, huh? You are just feeling that way because you are just beginning to help yourself, and someone you love, and you don't want to let down NOW needs you.
Totally. I'd like to make it through and leave it behind already.

You have taken a really smart road in seeking a therapist. He can help you so much if you are honest with him about your drug use.
I am now. I've tried therapy before, but it never worked, 'cause I didn't want to change. I was convinced that I know everything better. I took me some time to understand that I need a change and I can't do it alone - just because I simply don't know how.

I am not familiar with drug addiction--I am just a drunk, but we have a thing called AL-Anon that might be something you can direct your girlfriend to go to while you attend an AA meeting. Maybe she just needs to let go of her problem with others dealing with recovery in a partner.
Hmmm... Thank you for that advice. You may be right. I bet that she's more worried and frightened than she'd like to admit in front of me. Her problems + my problems - I'm convinced that weight of the world is on her shoulders too.

Here's to only the UPSIDE of 2013 for the both of you,
Thank you