Notices

Hi im new, Really need support

Old 12-30-2012, 04:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi im new, Really need support

Hi everyone

Well there can only be once reason im here and thats my drinking, im sick of it and what its doing to me

6 years ago i was a normal 21 year old, i had a nice job, i had just brought my first car and i had a nice relationship of 5 years.
after a few weeks from hell which included my dad having a heart attack (he survived) i fell ill with a severe anxiety and panic disorder, i didn't leave the house for months and it just got worse and worse and i started to get chest pains etc cause by the anxiety so this is when i started drinking more than i usually would, it started with just a few in the evenings and now ive been having 10+ drinks a night every night for 4-5 years, its destroying me mentally and physically, i suffer from alcoholics gastritis, i get pain on my upper right side all the time and im just always tired, i still live at home and both my parents are also in the grips of alcohol and there is no chance in them stopping so clearing the house of alcohol is not a option for me, i would love to leave but simply cant afford to live anywhere plus my anxiety really kicks in when im alone but on the flip side all there is in this house is shouting and screaming from them 2, i just stay out of it and tend to have a panic attack when they kick off.

sorry for the long rant but i would like some help from people who can relate to me as i feel im really in a corner and i cant get out, i really feel that i am powerless and lost

thanks for reading and i hope this is a step in the right direction
Old 12-30-2012, 04:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Paul. Welcome to SR!

You took a step in the very right direction finding this place. There is a lot of support, encouragement and useful information here. You can always share you concerns, doubts, vent out. It helped me tremendeously in early sobriety and still helps.

Sorry about your situation. But you can do the first step - focus on today. Just don't drink today and don't worry about tomorrow. Tomorrow will take care of itself somehow. Don't take the first drink, take a day at a time, an hour at time. Read and post here if you are bored and there are no other options. You may be scared now, everyone was at the beginning.

Stick around.

My best wishes to you.

Have a good day)
Old 12-30-2012, 04:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR paul.Glad you are here.

Have you been to see your GP? It would be dangerous for you to stop drinking abruptly.

I would suggest you make a Drs appointment and be totally honest.

You are not alone,I actually live in Staffordshire so not far from you.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. You have definitely come to the right place for support. Keep logging in, talking to us about your struggle and listen to what people have to say. I've learned already that just logging on and being here takes a lot of my time and focus away from what would usually be spent having that next drink.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

First of all thank you for the kind words midnightblue and i saw the doctor along time ago when she told me i had gastritis heath480 and in 2011 i stopped for 2 weeks and a couple of months ago i stopped for 11 days and i did not get any of the withdraw symptoms.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Paul, thought I'd add a welcome. Sounds like you've had it pretty rough - but this site's a really good place to get advice and support on the process of getting free of the addictions.

I'll add a big up to heath480's advice - see your doc and be honest with them. Any and every bit of help and support you can get is good. (edit, just read your reply... good on you...)

All the best.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

the thing i worry about is because of my anxiety i have been to the docs loads in the past with stupid things and also about drinking, whenever i go now she seems really annoyed with me
Old 12-30-2012, 06:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Have you been honest about your drinking with your doctor? Maybe she is frustrated, but not annoyed. It is hard for a doc to do much when someone continures to abuse their health.

Alcohol fuels anxiety. I have also had panic and anxiety and have isolated at home to a degree, with it. I have always had t go out to bring my kids to things, but still do not just jump in the car and go off on a long road trip alone with them. I do best with my husband along, or with friends for those sorts of things. My mother suffered anxiety, though not treated. And many in her family had similar sorts of issues. It is a real illness and you can have treatment, meds, and there are good books and therapists.

But, you also need to get healthy and all that drinking will only exacerbate anxiety.

Welcome to SR. I hope you stay and find sobriety here. Do get back for a check-up with your doctor.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Change doctors and get a Therapist. Welcome to SR!!

BTW this about you now, not your parents. And drinking used to give me panic attacks also and depression. Alcohol will only give half an hour of relief and 30 hours of remorse. Shame, pain etc.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thanks Thepatman, ive changed docs 3 times lol ill run out soon and i know its not about them but its hard to focus on me when they are having booze filled screaming matches i sound like a child atm talking about my parents lol but if i didnt still live here i would be homeless

....also thanks everyone for the welcomes, ive never had anyone to talk to all this stuff about, just seeing it on screen and other people understanding and not judging is a welcome high
Old 12-30-2012, 06:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Nice that you don't experience withdrawal symptoms when you stop, that makes it much easier and you get to keep a clear head through the experience.

Since you know how to stop and have done that a few times, what type of help do you need?

A valuable clue would be to examine what normally convinces you to start again after the times you've gone cold turkey and decided firmly not to drink due to the trouble it's caused you?

Any ideas why you do well making a good start and then change your mind when you'd decided not to change your mind?
Old 12-30-2012, 06:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hamabi View Post
Nice that you don't experience withdrawal symptoms when you stop, that makes it much easier and you get to keep a clear head through the experience.

Since you know how to stop and have done that a few times, what type of help do you need?

A valuable clue would be to examine what normally convinces you to start again after the times you've gone cold turkey and decided firmly not to drink due to the trouble it's caused you?

Any ideas why you do well making a good start and then change your mind when you'd decided not to change your mind?
there are a couple of things that make me return to the drink, one would just be the atmosphere around here (its awful)

another one is when ive had a few days off off i start to think i can control it and only drink on weekends or something but then i just go back to my normal drinking, i guess i find it hard to let go and kid myself into thinking i can become a social drinker when in reality ... i cant

in the last 6 years those 2 times i quit were the only times so im still not sure how to do it, plus once i quit my anxiety comes back in full force and i guess that makes me want to drink aswell

thanks
Old 12-30-2012, 07:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Paul
Dude here. Take it easy. I know panic attacks. Many times drinking does it. Do what you need to do man, move I think. Just me. Youre aware of your deal. hang in.
best
dub
Old 12-30-2012, 09:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

thanks, good thing is im now more determined than i have ever been after reading and seeing others on here doing soooooooo well
Old 12-30-2012, 09:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Stay strong Paul! Sounds like tough living conditions but well done for staying off it as long as you have.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

ive not yet :p today is day one but yeah i have done a few weeks earlier this yeah but failed in the end
Old 12-30-2012, 09:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.. Yes, you definitely came to the right place. This site has helped me tremendously. Even if it is to come here and just read. This place is amazing and the people are so supportive on here. From my personal experience as being an alcoholic it more than tripled my panic/anxiety attacks usually the day after I drank and I get panic attacks really bad. They are not anything like they used to be since I have quit though. I did not realize at the time that the alcohol triggered most of them. Lots of luck to you and please stay here with us. It is great to have you.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Paul123456 View Post
ive not yet :p today is day one but yeah i have done a few weeks earlier this yeah but failed in the end
Hey -even managing to stay aober till the end of the day is a great achievement - I know how hard it can be
Old 12-30-2012, 09:51 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

thanks boxguy, i appreciate that and also thanks SummertimeHigh5
Old 12-30-2012, 09:58 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Paul, you'll find lots of support and wisdom here