Notices

I dont think Im capable of staying sober.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Idiot that picked up a bottle.

I dont think Im capable of staying sober.

I just got a two day bender yesterday and then went to 2 meetings today. I just left the second meeting a little while ago and I swear if I had any money in my pocket I would have stopped off at the liquor store on the way home.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never seen anyone capable of posting here who was incapable of getting sober and staying that way, GM.

I've seen a lot of people who, for whatever reasons, are unwillingly to do what it takes tho.

You've got a lot to work through - and it's tough when your only coping mechanism in the past is alcohol...but you can do it.

The seemingly impossible does gets easier...one foot after another, one day at a time.

2 meetings is a great start
If you continue to feel this despair tho, could maybe seeing a Dr help?
D
Old 12-29-2012, 05:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When the pain of holding on to that poison became more than the fear of living without it, that's when I was able to stop.

You can stop. How bad do you want to? I mean REALLY want to? I knew I needed to for a long time, I even kind of wanted to. But deep down I didn't want to let my precious poison go. Until the scales fell off my eyes & I could see alcohell for what it REALLY was. Misery, prison, poison in a bottle.

Do what you have to do. Just don't drink this minute. I had to focus on putting one foot in front of the other. Hang in there.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I used to feel the same way, like I was a loser and destined to drink myself to death. But it was all self pity, all excuses not to do anything to make my life better. I finally got my sh!t together and now have three years happily sober. No reason on earth why you can't do the same, unless, of course, you'd rather drown in alcohol and self pity...
Old 12-29-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You may not be capable, but GOD is! I could never have done it if I didn't give my life to Him. Human strength is nothing. But we can all have strength in the Lord!
Old 12-29-2012, 05:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ghost - you posts of late... you receive dozens of genuine responses and correct me if I'm wrong, it's as if you're not actually reading, let alone digesting the wisdom that's being directed at you.

People will help you, but you have to be willing to help yourself.

Are you willing to help yourself stay sober?
Old 12-29-2012, 05:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Xune View Post
Ghost - you posts of late... you receive dozens of genuine responses and correct me if I'm wrong, it's as if you're not actually reading, let alone digesting the wisdom that's being directed at you.

People will help you, but you have to be willing to help yourself.

Are you willing to help yourself stay sober?
Im reading and trying to understand. I think maybe Im too far gone to be able to absorb it.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

ghostman - Do not give up on yourself. You deserve a good life. I had a hard time convincing myself to stay off it, too - but I made it out of hell. As Dee said, there are no hopeless cases.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

Ghost - If you don't think it, you won't achieve it.

You have got to turn yourself around! With this kind of thinking nothing is possible. It is honestly time for you to pick up the pieces you have left (which are a LOT) and start moving forward. Get ya a plan written down and GO! Start working a program. Focus on that..NOT the past and things that are not coming back. Drinking is NOT going to make this go away.....it's just gonna make your healing process slower. Start healing Ghost. This all starts with YOU...sobriety and a good future for YOU..the only one that matters.

Just like I told ya last night....stop looking backwards,,,,you are NOT going that way.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

And you need one of these :ghug3

We all care about you here. Look at all the responses you got last night!! We want ghost to be happy. And you will be....ya just gotta work at it!
Old 12-29-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Keep coming here and posting reading, going to meetings is awesome.

A close friend of mine has been clean 27 years, it took him six years to stop and stay stopped. But he says he wouldnt have made it if not for meetings and support.

Not that I recomment that, just keep coming. Try not to let the shame guilt and that awful friggin voice we have keep you away and isolated from support.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Keep the head up gman. I hear it will pass and things get better. These guys wouldn't have stayed sober that long if they didnt beleive it. Also im yet to find a person whose found happiness through drinking away their problems.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ghostman, do not give up because this disease is relentless.

Many of us have felt that we could not recover, but we have. You can too, but you must keep trying.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Please don't give up. We need each-other to believe in ourselves as we face this together...your despair is taking you down. Keep reading all of the posts here, check out the blogs..you will be inspired. I am so sorry you are in so much pain.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ghostman1960 View Post
Im reading and trying to understand. I think maybe Im too far gone to be able to absorb it.
You are not too far gone ghostman but you have to not only absorb the advice but actively use the advice. Keep trying whatever you can!
Old 12-29-2012, 06:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My father died of alcoholism and Im afraid thats what is in store for me,
Old 12-29-2012, 07:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

don't listen to thoughts like that. this dis ease has one purpose or end, to kill us and make us miserable while it does so, take a look around here, your not unique, all of us have the same basic dis ease and we all all clean sober or have the desire to be.

Just dont listen to the dis ease, listen to your peers who are getting well, get a plan and get a life.

Nobody can do this for you, but we can support you
Old 12-29-2012, 07:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
instant

Ghost you are struggling and fighting with yourself. It needn't always be that way. You can grow- but letting go of the grog will help
Old 12-29-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Dee74;3740987]You've got a lot to work through - and it's tough when your only coping mechanism in the past is alcohol...but you can do it.

Thanks Dee, I don't know if this helped anyone else, but it did help me. Thank you for that.

A lot of wisdom is this thread.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by ghostman1960 View Post
My father died of alcoholism and Im afraid thats what is in store for me,
you seem like you might be the vintage to be a Led Zep fan GM...
remember Stairway to Heaven?

Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run / There's still time to change the road you're on

You still have time to change that road & make that choice...

but you need to make it - noone else...not your wife, or your roomie, or anyone at AA or any of us here - can make it for you.

Back when I was lost and drinking, I used to feel like I was in an enormous well...drowning...

I had two choices - keep drowning or find something and pull myself up...

go the second choice GM

D