Notices

NY resolution...I hope

Old 12-29-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

NY resolution...I hope

Hey,

I don't know where to start really...

I think I have a problem, and have for years, I start each day thinking 'today, I'm not going to drink' then it hits around 3, the hangover recedes, the aches fade...and I'm pretty sure I don't have a problem, seriously, what was I thinking?

I need to make a change...and I'm pretty sure I'm going to need help, so...hey guys, here's to 2013
Old 12-29-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Why wait until 2013?

Start right now.

What supports do you have in place and do you have a plan to help you in your journey towards a lifetime of sobriety?

Welcome! There is lots of support and advice on SR!
Old 12-29-2012, 03:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! :ghug3 If you start your sobriety now, you won't wake up sick as hell on new year's day.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't really have a plan as such, hence coming here to gather some advice...there are some local aa meetings, but I have my reservations.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Cokie

Coming here really broke that 3 days cycle for me - it's hard to argue when you can go back and look at old posts or read someone elses....

good to have you here...and I agree with everyone else - why not start your new life today?

D
Old 12-29-2012, 03:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello Cookie,

You will decide on your own when to quit drinking. I made a lot of excuses to continue - Oh I will stop after New Years or the Super Bowl or the Wedding. I could find every excuse to delay not drinking - even wait til after the weekend - how silly.

I agree with the others dont delay if you trully want to stop. You probably have a half a day which is a good start.

Good Luck and Will Connect Again MY FRIEND
Old 12-29-2012, 03:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

What are your plans to make things change? Action is important. I waited a long, long time for recovery to happen to me...it didn't appear out of no where. I had to go out there and get it. This is where recovery programs come in...have you ever considered one?
Old 12-29-2012, 03:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hey Cokie. I wasn't sure what to do either when I first joined here. I just knew something had to change. My fun & social drinking had become a necessity. I was too dependent on it and used it to cope with life. Actually, my life was becoming more complicated & miserable the longer I kept drinking. The more I read other's stories, the more at home I felt. I finally found the courage to change.

Congratulations for making this big decision. You'll never regret it. Glad you are with us.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!! I agree with the others about starting today, you can then start 2013 with a clear head (or at least more clear than drinking on NYE).

Spend some time reading on here, and also look into different recovery methods that will work for you.

Let us know how you are doing tomorrow!!!
Old 12-29-2012, 10:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Waking up fresh New Years Day would provide you with the impetus to feel really good about getting your plan on track........
Old 12-29-2012, 10:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Cokietheclown;3740765]Hey,

' then it hits around 3, the hangover recedes, the aches fade...and I'm pretty sure I don't have a problem....

This was my story till recently.. Thanks for sharing!