Notices

Please help!!! I really need help now!!!!!!

Old 12-31-2012, 06:17 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

it'll get beter.
i like the idea that you are walking.
its meditative and therapautic
Old 12-31-2012, 06:53 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whiskeyman View Post
it'll get beter.
i like the idea that you are walking.
its meditative and therapautic
Broke down crying to my wife about 20 mins. ago. Panic was bad. Took a shower, feel a little better. Going for a walk now.

God I hope you are right Whiskeyman! It doesn't feel like I am.

Thank you!
Old 12-31-2012, 06:56 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
~sb

It does get better. Keep moving forward.

Print this thread out or at least print out what you've typed and remind yourself you don't want to go back there.

Everyone is different, just take it one day at a time. AA meetings are available just to talk with others who know what you are talking about!

Stay strong!! You can do this!
Old 12-31-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post

Print this thread out or at least print out what you've typed and remind yourself you don't want to go back there.

Everyone is different, just take it one day at a time. AA meetings are available just to talk with others who know what you are talking about!

Ditto this ..
Old 12-31-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post

Thank you so much! Just got back from walk. Feel a lot better. Going out to get ink so I can keep up with my home business I run. Thank god I have a home business or I would have lost my job.

All of your help is really making a difference for me!
Old 12-31-2012, 08:59 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

If anyone has had the same or similar experiences as I have please let me know. I am wondering if what is happening to me is really from the withdrawal. I start feeling good and then start feeling bad. This has been the cycle the last two days. I have to say that I am way better then I was when I first went to the hospital.

I guess I have to look at it this way, it has only been two full days since this has started.

Feeling OK at the moment but still have that lingering anxiety feeling in my neck and back of head. Strange I know but that is the only way I can explain it.

I am going to dedicate my life in some way to help people with this when I get through this!!!!!!
Old 12-31-2012, 09:28 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

It is always great to help people but right now just try to focus on yourself. It won't be long when you can reach out to someone on this site who is going through what you are. You have made it a couple of days so hopefully the worst is over. What helped me was to keep my day full. I actually had a daily agenda for the first couple of weeks to make sure my life was structured (still kind of do it). Keep busy but I always liked having 20 minutes just to meditate and relax. Download some nice music put your headphones on and calm your mind and body. Hang tough my friend. You can do this.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:44 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FamilyMan2153 View Post
It is always great to help people but right now just try to focus on yourself. It won't be long when you can reach out to someone on this site who is going through what you are. You have made it a couple of days so hopefully the worst is over. What helped me was to keep my day full. I actually had a daily agenda for the first couple of weeks to make sure my life was structured (still kind of do it). Keep busy but I always liked having 20 minutes just to meditate and relax. Download some nice music put your headphones on and calm your mind and body. Hang tough my friend. You can do this.
Thank you Familyman! I couldn't help anyone right now if I tried. But down the road I will for sure.

Also, just so everyone knows, I am not having any cravings for alcohol, my problems are all seeming from these horrible feelings I am having.

Thanks!
Old 12-31-2012, 10:25 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I hope you're feeling better! I'm glad you had some blood work done and it came back good!! This is huge.. I hope you come up with a plan to get off all the poison.. Pulling for you! D
Old 12-31-2012, 11:44 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Update: Really having a bad time right now. Starting to think that this is not withdrawal because it is not getting any better.

Thinking of taking sedative to get through this but am afraid to because I don't want to have addiction to it.

Have a bad headache but am afraid to take Advil in case this is all from all the cold meds I have been taking in the last month. Especially in the last 3 days prior to Friday the 30th. I have to add alka-seltzer plus cold meds to the list.

Still wondering if this is from all the meds. Also worried that it is something I just won't come out of. Like I wrecked my brain!
Old 12-31-2012, 11:52 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Don't panic Bob!

Is this the sedative that the doc you went to see prescribed for you? If he thought it was alcohol withdrawal then that is probably what it is. It isn't a pleasant experience but it will get better eventually. If the doc gave you something for it maybe it's best to try that x
Old 12-31-2012, 11:57 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
Don't panic Bob!

Is this the sedative that the doc you went to see prescribed for you? If he thought it was alcohol withdrawal then that is probably what it is. It isn't a pleasant experience but it will get better eventually. If the doc gave you something for it maybe it's best to try that x
It is what the Doc. gave me Hypo. I am feeling a little better actually in the last couple minutes. That is what is so crazy about this whole thing. JUST CRAZY!

Thank you for being there for me!!!

If these attacks get bad again I think I am going to take the docs advise and take the pill. I did take one last night before bed. Maybe it was the only reason I slept.

God I hope this goes away soon!!!!!!
Old 12-31-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I can really relate to your anxiety Bob. I was a mess and had plenty of panic attacks too. It took some time for me to realise that my mental state had a lot to do with how I felt. But even then, when the panic attacks subsided I still felt pretty rubbish for a while. You're gonna be so much better of not drinking, believe me. It'll get better soon enough x But remember that your doc prob prescribed those meds for a reason x
Old 12-31-2012, 12:36 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

This makes sense to me and may help others. It makes me feel better to understand what might be happening......

Alcohol withdrawal is caused by neurotransmitter rebound. When alcohol suppresses the action of a neurotransmitter system over a long period of time the neurotransmitter system adapts by working harder and harder to overcome the effect of the alcohol and to try and function at normal levels in spite of the presence of the alcohol. When the alcohol is suddenly removed from the body the neurotransmitter system still continues to function far in excess of normal levels. Since the alcohol is no longer present to suppress the effects of this hyperactivity, what we now see are effects which are precisely the opposite of those caused by alcohol. It is much like two people playing tug-of-war who are equally balanced--if one person suddenly lets go of the rope the other goes flying in the opposite direction. When alcohol is suddenly removed from a neurotransmitter system which has been fighting to overcome its effects --the neurotransmitter system goes flying off in the opposite direction.

RICHARD D. BLONDELL, M.D., Ambulatory Detoxification of Patients with Alcohol Dependence. American Family Physician, Vol. 71/No. 3 (February 1, 2005)

MAX BAYARD, M.D, et. al. Alcohol Withdrawal Syndrome. American Family Physician, March 15 2004.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:50 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Can someone please tell me if they felt good, and then an hour later bad and then two hours later good and then 10 minutes later bad....................................

Just to add: I feel good right now, but the way things have been going, I know the bad is coming and I am scared as hell from it!
Old 12-31-2012, 01:02 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by Bob22 View Post
Can someone please tell me if they felt good, and then an hour later bad and then two hours later good and then 10 minutes later bad....................................

Just to add: I feel good right now, but the way things have been going, I know the bad is coming and I am scared as hell from it!
You aren't the only one. I was the same way and told I was fairly normal.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Zee

Hi Bob
Panic attacks is just adrenalin... I suffered from them before I was an alki and I still suffer from them... its just the card that has been dealt to me. If you can rationalise them, it makes it a bit easier. The fact that you can't die from them is a good thing right? It just messes with your head a bit. i also suffer from depersonalisation... which is scary as heck. I had suspected cirrhosis when I gave up the grog... spent a month in hospital... scared me straight I can tell you! I have now been told my liver is healthy... what I'm trying to say is... our mind and body are amazing things... Withdrawl is just a short spell of feeling cruddy... after that its worth going through it... you'll be fine in the end... just keep SR and doctors phone numbers close x
Old 12-31-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zee View Post
Hi Bob
Panic attacks is just adrenalin... I suffered from them before I was an alki and I still suffer from them... its just the card that has been dealt to me. If you can rationalise them, it makes it a bit easier. The fact that you can't die from them is a good thing right? It just messes with your head a bit. i also suffer from depersonalisation... which is scary as heck. I had suspected cirrhosis when I gave up the grog... spent a month in hospital... scared me straight I can tell you! I have now been told my liver is healthy... what I'm trying to say is... our mind and body are amazing things... Withdrawl is just a short spell of feeling cruddy... after that its worth going through it... you'll be fine in the end... just keep SR and doctors phone numbers close x
Very sorry you had to go through that Zee! Thank you for your post, it really helps!
Old 12-31-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I felt odd for along time. Months in fact, but I can tell you that it will go away. Everyone in their own time.
D you wanna go to a meeting and talk about it. Almost everyone has been they similar. It'll help
Old 12-31-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Bob I felt much like you did and being here on SR was a lifesaver. I had PAWS for six months but the anxiety attacks only happened in the first few weeks whenever I got scared and had thoughts of drinking again just to end the misery and then grabbed hold of my mental self and said NO! and then my mental self would up the ante and cause anxiety.

I did not die from the anxiety attacks and had no Ativan or anything else not because I was afraid of taking them, but because I wanted to know when it was all over. But had I continued drinking I believe with all my soul I would have died last year. (I have been sober more than two years) I was at the point of not getting high and drinking about twice what you were, more than 30 units a day! (which for those uninformed a unit is one shot of hard liquor, one 12 oz beer, or one six ounce glass of wine)

I never gave in. See I was also under a docs care, and in the hospital for seven days of detox with them administering stuff like your Ativan to me, Librium I think and others. I had blood tests every month for three months by order of my GP. And even so I was anxious about three times like you describe and scared without the acute attacks a lot of the time for the first month. I think my fear of having another anxiety attack brought on the other two or three I had. That sounds weird to all but those who have been there.

I never had anxiety attacks before that I can recall. So it was definitely withdrawal over reactions to my fear.

Coming here was the best thing you could have done as it was for me. If you click on my name and then click on view more posts by me you can read some of my very first sober ones here. I was also going to AA meetings. Face to face was also a lifesaver for my first three months then I was OK and dropped all the AA meetings, counseling, and just come to SR to do a little payback.

The reason I am taking all this time is because I came here and was researching online to try to see if I was normal or was about to die from my withdrawals. I was also frustrated with the rule about medical advice here and that most would avoid even answering what I did above. The important thing is you have seen a doc and have him to call who already knows what you are going through and why. I kept asking like you too!

The most important thing is that to continue drinking will kill you and that lasts forever. PAWS does not last as long for most as it did with me. So my medical advice is to continue seeing the Doc regardless, and that most of what you describe seems in line with my experience too.

I am so glad you posted because I have read most saying they had a few days of detox and bounced back fine that I thought I was the oddball in the group. Others had serious issues a week or two after but none of the PAWS I did. Now more folks can get a grip on what Dee said so well, and what I am saying to add to it. See the Doc at the drop of a hat, but by the same token if the same symptom that you had before the Doc said you were OK comes again then do what he said to do and you should be fine unless something changes.

Welcome to the detox club. In a year you can belong to the one year and over club here. Know how I made it? Despite being as freaked out during it as you? Because no matter what, I was not going to drink again and have to start all of that all over again from scratch, not even once. And being the lazy SOB I am, I wasn't going to waste all the effort and pain I already put into my first weeks of sobriety. No regrets. Sobriety can be scary when we can suddenly feel our minds and bodies again.

One last thing if I haven't put you to sleep already. Two people come up to make a speech in front of 1000 people. One loves the rush and shakes with excitement because it gives him energy to really come across and think fast. He loves that people will see him vibrating with excitement. The other interprets the adrenaline rush as fear and the shakes as embarrassing and hopes no one notices he is shaking in fear which causes him to shake more.

The same stimulus for both, public speaking in front of a large crowd. Same fight or flight response for both. But each interpreted the response differently.

I bet this is your first real detox like mine was for me. I AM NOT GOING THROUGH THAT EVER AGAIN!

I think some folks who have gotten into the relapse mode stay only until they feel better a bit then start drinking again and have learned how to detox better.

Thanks for posting for others, and remember that you can click on your name and read all your posts here later and have a journal of your first years sober. They don't even have to be in threads you started, you can just see your posts, or mine, or anybody's here that way.