Notices

Kinda lost

Old 12-29-2012, 11:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Kinda lost

Hello I'm new to the site and I was just looking for some support. I just got off Vicodin and oxycodone. I feel a awful and I am doing this alone. I'm pretty emotional right now. I am alone in this battle ( no one knows and I am pretty set in not telling anyone). I am a very intelligent person in other areas of my life, I have A LOT on the line if I don't quit. My family has a history of alcohol abuse.
Just looking for anonymous support
Thanks
Old 12-29-2012, 11:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Then it sounds like you are in the right place. This has been my biggest tool for remaining sober. I met with my doctor the first day, and see a counselor twice a month to have a sounding board for the stresses that led me to popping open that wine every night.

I have found replacing the time I spent drinking with exercise, reading and SR has helped. I have also attended a few various meetings (AA, WFS, and a few through my insurance), I go occasionally, but this site is my daily go to for support.

I do not believe there is a cookie cutter plan, there are lots of options, and you need to find what will work for you. Try Anna's book thread for some great reading!!!

You can do this!!!
Old 12-29-2012, 12:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Sbeauh, thought I'd chip in a welcome as well. All the best for getting through, there's loads of support and advice and good threads from people who've been down the same paths as you, and come out the other side.

Hope you find your way.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi there Sbeauh, welcome to SR
I too am just coming off codeine, I found days 2-4 the hardest.
Whereabouts are you in your detox?
It has helped me so much reading and posting here, it made me feel not so alone too.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Sbeauh
You'll find a lot of support & understanding here.

We also have a substance abuse forum you might want to look at as well:
Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D
Old 12-29-2012, 07:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

wow thanks you all. it feel really good to get responses. I am ending day 1. feeling awful. the runny nose and cold sweats are bad but manageable. I just want it to end soon. I am ready to have my life back. I feel like have have lost all my passions in 1 year. any suggestions to keep it going?
Old 12-29-2012, 07:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i just dread getting up tomorrow on day 2 feeling more awful
Old 12-29-2012, 08:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

welcome to SR SBEAUH you really av come to the rite place, try having a look on line for narcotics anonymous meeting in you area and find you self a sponser who can help you go throw a 12 step program it really as worked for me and i.ve been clean for 14 months now people in the meeting will guide u i promise, i can send you some literature if that will help, Im always here if you need a chat. Take care stay strong xx
Old 12-29-2012, 08:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Sbeauh -

I'm glad you're here! When I quit drinking, I came here and read for about 3 days straight..... it was comforting just knowing that I wasn't alone. Those first days aren't easy, but I tried to look at it like having the flu. Take it easy and be good to yourself and keep reading/posting. It really will get better.....:ghug3
Old 12-29-2012, 08:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Welcome to this site. Everyone here is so helpful. You can do it, I think everyone has that lost feeling in the beginning. Keep posting and reading! It gets easier the longer you do it.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sbeauh View Post
i just dread getting up tomorrow on day 2 feeling more awful
The good thing is this can be your last day one!! Each day gets a little easier, if you still feel lousy don't hesitate to go to the doctor or ER.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome. You will find lots of support here. I hope you can make it to at least day 4 or 5 when you'll start to feel better. It gets easier after that as far as the depression and physical stuff. Stay strong. Thanks for joining.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats on your decision, and good luck. I can relate in that I haven't told anyone. I'm well educated, great job, mother of 2 small boys. On the outside, everything looks perfect, and I didn't know how to tell people it wasn't, and what would be taken away if I did. But, I stopped giving myself excuses, read a lot, and found this site. I realized I wasn't alone, and there were women just like me struggling to be sober and to find a reason to live without drugs or alcohol.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Sbeauh, glad you're here! Is there an NA meeting you could go to? For me it really helps being around other people who understand what I'm going through. This is the hardest part, right now, stick it out, it can only get better!
Old 12-30-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! One thing that may help, through the yukky-feeling first few days is reminding yourself you NEVER have to go through this again. I also recommend keep reading here. There are a lot of people who have gone through opiate withdrawal or withdrawal from other things. I found out it wasn't so much the substance, but the fact that people DID get through it.

My withdrawals were all mental (crack) but boy was I glad to no I wasn't alone AND finally put it behind me.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-30-2012, 11:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sbeauh View Post
Hello I'm new to the site and I was just looking for some support. I just got off Vicodin and oxycodone. I feel a awful and I am doing this alone. I'm pretty emotional right now. I am alone in this battle ( no one knows and I am pretty set in not telling anyone). I am a very intelligent person in other areas of my life, I have A LOT on the line if I don't quit. My family has a history of alcohol abuse.
Just looking for anonymous support
Thanks
I completely understand where you are coming from, Sbeauh. I was addicted to opiates as well. Vic and Oxy were my originals later turning to Heroin. No one except my "using buddies" knew, not my family, friends, co-workers. Well at least I didn't tell them, they might have known. My point is that because of this, I finally went off Heroin cold-turkey with no emotional, spiritual, physical, or medicinal help. In hindsight, as much as the drug could have killed me, so could have trying to quit alone. Maybe I'm wrong, but I focused on nothing but quitting, not using no matter how bad I felt emotionally, physically, spiritually, etc. My family also has a history of alcohol abuse. However, you have an advantage. I didn't know about this site when I first quit. You do and now so do I. Reading or hearing other people's experiences and contributing my own thoughts in various venues and on here really help me.

I just recently decided to try to implement NA into my recovery even though I've been clean for a lot longer. One thing I will say is that isolating myself, even when not actively using, just continued the same behavior and I'm lucky I didn't relapse. Just talking to other people helps, ALOT IMO. You can do it. Have faith.