Notices

Hello

Old 12-29-2012, 08:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

I just wanted to say hello to everyone. As you can see, I am new to this site. After observing the threads for several days, I am extremely pleased to be a contributor now and hope that I can share my experiences with others and theirs with me.

I have finally admitted to myself that I am an alcoholic. I have probably known this for some time. It was my 8th wedding anniversary on Thursday and after spending many years binge drinking, a particularly heavy few months and making promises to myself and others, what better gift can I give my wife and I than sobriety.

Please bear with me as I get to grips with things over the next few days, weeks and months.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Night owl

Hello OnlyTheLonely and welcome to SR! This is a great place to find support, encouragement, information and wisdom.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome to SR.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! This is a great place to find support. Admitting you are an alcoholic is a huge step. Do you have other plans for how you're going to stay sober? Do you feel ready? It sounds like it to me. It won't be easy but you can and will become sober if you take action and change the old habbits and ways of thinking. For me I had to change almost everything. It is worth it.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello there my friend!

Welcome and Glad you have decided to address your problem. Took me 25 years. I think you will enjoy the site - great people here.

Have you thought about AA?

Will talk later.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, I appreciate the support and in a way I am looking forward to the journey but it would be disingenuous of me if I didn't admit it is filled with fear and trepidation, yet genuine hope at the same time. I have managed to stay sober for up to a month and then I hit that point where I say, "I'll just control my drinking, I'll drink once a week or on special occasions like any 'normal' drinker". Not too long after that, I'm in that downward spiral that we've all unfortunately experienced way to often. I do however recollect how good I felt towards the end of that sober month and that's something I want to experience for the rest of my life.

With regards to AA, this is something I will definitely attend, will try to get myself along to a meeting in the coming week. Will keep you posted.......
Old 12-29-2012, 09:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome OnlytheLonely
Old 12-29-2012, 02:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR OnlyTheLonely

D
Old 12-29-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Only - I was filled with hope and fear, too. I had used alcohol to have fun and to cope with life since I was young. I didn't really know how to proceed without it, but knew it was a death sentence to keep on going the way I was.

I'm glad you found us and are reaching out for a new way of life. SR helped relieve my anxiety in the early months of getting sober. I never thought there would be other people just like me, with my same thoughts and fears. It was a huge help to not be alone. Hope you feel the same. You can do this.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Welcome to the boards. Keep it simple.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR OTL, glad you're here!
Old 12-30-2012, 10:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy