Notices

Days are accumulating, mind is wondering - is this normal?

Old 12-28-2012, 11:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Days are accumulating, mind is wondering - is this normal?

I had 60 days on Wednesday! The most I ever had was 106 days and that was in 2010. I've also been to 61 meetings and got a sponsor and am working the steps (though I know this isn't an AA forum, this is what is working for me at the moment)

I'm just excited, because I feel good too!
I'm starting to overanalyze my feelings though, which I'm trying not to do. The "excitement" of sobriety is weaning slightly - I do not have the urge to drink at all - but the honeymoon or something is dying down and it's scaring me a bit but I don't feel like drinking and I'm going to meetings and working a program, so I should be ok!

Anyway, happy new year everyone. I'm REALLY hoping this time next year, I can post over a year of sobriety on here. But, it's one day at a time for now...
Old 12-28-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Sobriety is for life, so the initial "excitement" is bound to wain. I would think it has too. At ninety days I had what I called recovery fatigue, where I was just tired of thinking about drinking, or not drinking, 18 hrs a day, every day.

It was a signal to me to just back off a bit. I don't mean forgo recovery, just not attack it with the zeal I had in the first 90 days.

As for feeling good and being excited about sobriety, I am excited, even at two years sober.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you! Wed was my day 60 as well
Old 12-28-2012, 12:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 773niki View Post
(though I know this isn't an AA forum, this is what is working for me at the moment)
And it will work for you for the rest of your life if you work for it..

Stick close to your sponsor and the oldtimers. All will be well.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 12-28-2012, 12:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you're doing really well.

I never experienced the 'pink cloud' because I was overwhelmed with guilt and shame. So, my recovery mood just chugged along, getting better over time.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Hey Niki,

I had an initial feeling of serenity, excitement and gratitude that was really strong. And as I progressed it got a little bit less until one day I realised it wasn't there at all. I was a bit annoyed by this and I got depressed. But I'm sure you have heard people say in the meetings that 'feelings pass' and it's true. We go through stages, gratitude, complacency, depression. It doesn't really matter as long as we stick with the meetings the feelings will pass.

Natom.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats to you and Saving a self on 60 days, that is a wonderful accomplishment!!!
Old 12-28-2012, 03:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I understand.

I am 320 days and I WILL be getting to a year!

But some days seem to have dragged and it has gone very slowly. Other times the days just seem to gallop away.

The novelty wears thin at the start of a night where I have to attend and there will be drinking.

But I start to feel great when I get to sneak away and people are starting to get loud, staggering, red faced, glazed eyes.

The next morning is even better - people look rough, hung over, not enough sleep.

I always make an extra special effort the next morning to look groomed, wide awake and fresh, so that I am all the more glad I did not drink.

I think you just have to take the rough with the smooth.
I also believe if you are feeling deprived or waning slightly, do something that will comfort you.

I often go to bed with my laptop, read here, do internet shopping for nice things, wrap myself in blankets and have a nice cup of tea.
But thats just me.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

60 days is good!! coming from a oldtimer (I have 29 more days then you haha) you have done a great job!!!
Old 12-28-2012, 04:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Were all different - I have no desire to drink, but constantly worry about crap and bad decisions from the past. I get at least a couple of panic attacks daily.

I need to get rid of these!!
Old 12-28-2012, 04:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well done on 60 days Niki! x
Old 12-29-2012, 09:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

60 days is great Niki, keep up your great work!!