Notices

Not new to this journey

Old 12-26-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Not new to this journey

Am making the effort to get off Norco one more time. It's been a back and forth struggle with narcotic pain relievers for 10yrs. I start out using them legitimately for arthritis pain and end up abusing them. The doctor has me on a prescription of 240 5mg tablets a month. This is the most I've ever been on in a single month in the whole 10yrs I've been fighting this beast except for the past year. That's an average of about 8 a day and I know I don't need that many to control my pain.

I have arthritis in my back, and knees and it's been diagnosed as moderately severe. However, I know I don't need this many Norco to control the pain, I just take them because they make me feel full of energy and as sad as it sounds, has helped me to deal with the **** in my life.

This past year I worked incredibly hard to put a sexually abusive childhood behind me and to distance myself from the toxic people in my life. I've worked incredibly hard at this. These people were my family but I had not been able to deal with them because there is narcissism, bi-polar and schizophrenia. They make me feel crazy and I turned to abusing the Norco as a way to deal. Well, as I said, I've worked hard both on my own as well as with a therapist to put the pain and agravation of those relationships behind me. Now I want to get off this medication once and for all.

I've gotten off the meds three different times in the past ten years. Once for a whole year even! But my emotional pain kept me coming back. The new year is upon us and I want to get my life back on track again. I have the luxury of being able to stay at home for this. I am putting my social life on hold for the whole winter in order to do what I need to do to get off these meds. I would like to be free of their bondage come the spring time. I've been thru withdrawls and I'm scared to death. I know about the Thomas Recipe and I know that no matter what I do, it will just be awful. I have a full bottle of pills as I speak and my plan is to do a slow taper with them. In the past I've both done tapers as well as have gone cold turkey. I'd rather do a slow tapper, but I know I need the support of the people here to get me thru it.

Thanks for reading.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Aems x
Old 12-26-2012, 06:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR
Old 12-26-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Aems
welcome

wouldn't it be best to involve a Dr in this?

They could advise you on what might be the best way to taper, and they could also advise you perhaps on non narcotic ways to deal with your pain.

are you still working with your therapist?

D
Old 12-26-2012, 08:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Sounds like you have already made some difficult, but positive choices by separating from family members that have hurt you physically/emotionally.

You will find lots of support on this website, spend some time reading and posting. Dee's advice about a doctor is probably vital to helping you with the physical piece, and maybe a counselor to help you with the emotional side.

Looking forward to seeing you on SR and hearing about how you are doing!
Old 12-26-2012, 08:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Night owl

Welcome to SR Aems!

Like you I am coming off an opiate addiction, my doc (drug of choice) is oxy and my habit was huge. I started it for legitimate pain but like so many of us I liked the way it made me feel, energy, euphoria, etc. And also like you I have serious abuse issues in my past. It's terrific that you've been able to do solid work on healing from it and separating from toxic relationships.

You've come to a good place for support while tapering and quitting. Check out the Substance Abuse section, too.

Take care.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Tapering is good if you can stick with it. Be very strict with yourself. I have 38 days today. I was a heroin addict but I also used the pills. Pulling for you
My friend. There is a good website I found, google "how to quit heroin" (I know it's Norco for you but all the same opiates really) the guy who runs the website has some awesome tips! He is do nice too - I e-mail him often and he has been my cheerleader. Check it out.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Night owl

Originally Posted by BabyJane View Post
Tapering is good if you can stick with it. Be very strict with yourself. I have 38 days today. I was a heroin addict but I also used the pills. Pulling for you
My friend. There is a good website I found, google "how to quit heroin" (I know it's Norco for you but all the same opiates really) the guy who runs the website has some awesome tips! He is do nice too - I e-mail him often and he has been my cheerleader. Check it out.

Thanks for that suggestion, BabyJane. Just took a quick peek and the site looks really, really good. Great suggestion for those of us battling any opiate addiction.