Notices

Over 60, still here and still trying

Old 12-31-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

thanks hamabi, i hope my friendships here span all the generations! thanks for your wisdom and your welcome. stillhere
Old 01-01-2013, 03:54 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I did it! New Year's eve with no alcohol. My official quit date = 12/31/12! I have a head-ache this morning but otherwise okay so far. i'm planning on staying in today and taking care of myself. thanks to everyone for helping me come this far. stillhere
Old 01-01-2013, 04:02 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Administrator

thats great Stillhere - well done!

D
Old 01-03-2013, 04:17 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

i'm not sure how these threads work but this one seems to have petered out. i'm 3 days sober and will post from here on the january 2013 thread and others. peace to all.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:28 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Great to hear you're hanging in with this, SH. Sometimes people start a thread and use it to post updates on as they go along, something much like a journal.

Since you chose a suitable title for this thread you could use it in that manner if you chose to, and people could comment on your updates or not, as they choose.

Don't take it personally if updates pass without comment, it doesn't mean they are unread.

No physical issues with quitting so far I take it...all good.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:38 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Started at 14, stopped at 52. Tried everything but I found AA and it saved my life. 3.5 years sober and happier than I have ever been.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:50 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Hi, stillhere12. I'm Sharon and I'm still here
22yrs sober, beginning when i was 30 and now
54. I've been living sober one day at a time
incorperating the tools and knowledge of a
recovery program for my alcoholism.

Following in the footsteps of many who have
also learned how to stay sober themselves for
a many days at a time. If they could stay sober
themselves then I could too.

So can you.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:35 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

thanks for your comments, hamabi. i like the idea of using this thread as a "journal" of sorts. i'll keep it going. and me too! i have some physical issues - shakey, anxious, head-ache, etc. but they are easing up now. thank you for being here. stillhere
Old 01-04-2013, 04:38 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

sharon, how nice to hear from someone with so much sober time. i do believe i can do it, just haven't so far. i do have long stretches of sobriety and intend for this to be the longest of all. i want my older years to count for something, to be happy, to help others.
you are an inspiration. stillhere
Old 01-04-2013, 04:39 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

M.I. wow, long time down but you turned it around!! i'm following your light. thank you, stillhere.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:55 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
~sb

My friend is 63 and now has almost 9 months of sobriety......

You can stop and stay stopped, too!
Old 01-06-2013, 11:10 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Oh my, that sounds just like me. 30's, 40's and now... It has been so much wasted energy. I'm just starting again. Sober for six days now. Over the detox part. Yeah.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:22 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Stillhere12, January 1st was my quit day too. Six days into being sober. Sleep is restful again : )
I live in a rural area too. I made a list of things that I haven't attended to because my time with booze came first, so I am working on that list right now. It's fairly long. Next is to pick up some of the hobbies that I gave up for booze. Going outside for a walk is nice to, however I live in the north and it's cold and dark. So I'll have to wait a month or two for that.

Last edited by akberry; 01-06-2013 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Opps
Old 01-06-2013, 11:32 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

I made a list of all the stupid /bad things i did while drunk once ,i crumpled the page up when i ran out of room and hand to move onto page 2 ..

sleep is definately nice to have back again..
Old 01-07-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

I will be 49 this year. My drinking is kind of a family joke, as I am a happy drunk at family gatherings. However, what non of them understand is that my drinking is no joke. I have drunk more than is good for me since I was 14 and have been very fortunate not to have any obvious health problems. But to tell the truth I am sick and tired of myself as a drunk. Like others out there I make excuses for not answering the phone. I am a functioning drunk, able to work and keep house. My husband likes an occasional drink but has no awareness of the volume I drink. I have been sober since Thursday 3rd January. I signed up for Dry Jan and told friends. I hope that this will give me a bit of a head start on getting sober for good. I want to see my grandson grow up I want to retire and enjoy spending time travelling with my husband. I can think of no good reason to continue drinking. This time I really want to make quitting work. Hearing from other women of my age who seem to be living ( or Lived) the way I have been is a real boost. I feel that It i a dirty sordid secret that I have kept, I mean how pathetic is a middle age drunk woman! Now I realise pathetic or not, I am not alone. Thank you all for your bravery and for giving me the bravery to speak up and hopefullyl to keep on the right track
Old 01-08-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

good to hear from you akb. i shared in the january start thread that i have had a few beers to drink. my blood pressure shot up when i quit and scared me. so i backed up to taper off and called my doc for extra/different BP medicine. so now starting over, again....sigh. but today is day one and that feels good.
glad you are here. still here
Old 01-08-2013, 07:44 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

i can relate to much of what you share toots. glad you are here. we can do this!
still here.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:11 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I was 61 when I had my last drink. Before that I was an episodic drinker relying largely on counseling but never attending any group like AA, where I could have the insight and support of other alcoholics. I began going to AA and found that made a big difference although I had trouble with some of the religious overtones, the so called "God Stuff". I joined an Agnostics group, although I am not a real agnostic nor atheist and I found that largely congenial and helpful. If you have similar issues with AA and cannot find an appropriate group in your community, then perhaps you can make do with various secular recovery forums available on this SR website. In any case I found the support of other recovering alcoholics most helpful. You don't have to accept the interpretations of everyone at an AA meeting. But it helps to listen carefully and with an open mind. Good luck.

W.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Im afraid I'm not good at group anything. I am capable of empathising with others but find it difficult to share. I have been betrayed in the past, even in so called safe environs. I am finding that here I can talk, share; follow others journeys. For now, this is the nearest I will get to a group meeting, but I am getting a lot out of this and will continue to join in. And Keep holding on Stillhere12, We all start at day one, every time.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

i'm gettng a lot out of this group, too, toots. glad you're here! thanks for the support