Notices

Over 60, still here and still trying

Old 12-26-2012, 02:15 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

thanks for this, escapist. you are a light to follow! good for you for your sober time.
i'm gaining strength from everyone here to take the sober plunge again. it's time and i'm way past ready
Old 12-26-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

thanks dee, i wish i'd stayed quit in my forties...and so glad you have!!
Old 12-26-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

hey bloss, i had to get past the "over 60" part myself. when i thought about it tho, i thought maybe being an elder here wasn't such a bad thing. even tho i haven't stayed solidly sober, i do have some time and wisdom to share. I can talk about failures and slips and successes and slips and what worked and what didn't and how aging impacts all of it.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm 70 and drank to varying degrees for 50 years, longest abstinence period being about 3 months.
Plenty of time of look back. I must be a very slow learner, though the past decade saw my consumption considerably less.

I think that my interest in body building, jogging, and good nutrition helped counteract the debilitating effects of alcohol; shame I didn't wake up a hell of a lot sooner.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:21 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Stilhereat12

I am 59, got sober May 2011. AA got and keeps me sober. Following the program fills the void that I tried to fill with alcohol. I come to SR everyday for the wisdom and support I get and can give others. I am isolated in a city of 7 million, SR is important to me.

Welcome and keep posting
Love
CaiHong
Old 12-26-2012, 06:43 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

welcome stillhere I am 61 years young (and I mean that) and was 53 when I got here brokne hearted and finsihed. Today I am ok with who I am and who you are.

Each day I get a little better
Old 12-27-2012, 02:43 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

thanks for the welcome, caihong. i'm relieved that other older folks have quit and stayed quit! i'll probably come here every day also. thx for the encouragement!
love back to you too, stillhere
Old 12-27-2012, 04:28 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stillhere12 View Post
I'm bone-weary from this insanity. I've had sober years and drunk years and sober is WAY better! I'm trying to get traction to start again after a year of nightly drinking. i function basically but pass out in the evenings and don't remember the last of the movie i was watching. i don't take calls at night either. trying to keep my "condition" a secret. what a waste of energy!

I just found this website and forum. I'm very grateful that you are here. I need help and support. Am working on my plan now, thinking to quit on new years but maybe before then. I have to do things differently from 5 - 8 o'clock.
not easy since i live in a rural area. i guess i could just stay online and in chats all the time!

Any other "oldsters" out there?? would love to hear from you about your experiences, etc.
Hello..i am 58 does thay qualify me. i gave up almost 12 month ago and feel great..good luck..you know you can do it. By the way..i have been told i look more like 45..on numerous occasions..nature way...
Old 12-27-2012, 06:36 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi stillhere you and all the others that have responded to me have convinced me I need to see a Dr, I'm due there very shortly and I'm scared. Hey friend we can do this. Stay here and as I said before, we will help each other. x
Old 12-27-2012, 06:44 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

57...sober, this time, since August 8th.
I had almost ten years in about 2003....underestimated my disease and thought that I could start drinking a little beer and moderate.... wrong....

All the best.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:53 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

If I'd never stopped drinking, I'd have no hope of seeing 60, or even 54.

It's better to bring in the new year sober than to let the past flow into the new. Drinking on New Year's eve is kinda like putting mud on top of a fresh slice of apple pie, leaves a nasty taste in your mouth, lol.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:33 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was in my late forties when I began recovery, after drinking for about 3 years. I now have 4 young grandchildren and I came so close to losing it all.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:37 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
~sb

I got sober 22 days after I turned 50 and today I have over 19 months of sobriety.

We can do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-27-2012, 07:39 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR stillhere, you'll find lots of support!
Old 12-27-2012, 12:55 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
orangutan

Hi Stillhere and welcome to SR. I am 52, and been drinking for about 38 of those years still slip up now and then but this site has been a great help for me.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

i have a doctor's appt on monday to talk with her about medications to help me quit/stay quit. perhaps something for the first few days of anxiety and sleeplessness will be enough.

i'm assuming an enthusiastic "go ahead" from her for quitting the next day. new years might be a corny day to quit but i bet i'm not alone! since i won't be celebrating the new year in a "traditional" way, i've asked a sober friend to have dinner with me. Once i eat, the desire to drink is greatly diminished so that should work fine.

I SO appreciate this group, this web-site. thank you for being here, stillhere
Old 12-27-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

thanks for the welcome aussie. I don't slip up every now and then. i'm either ON or OFF for rather long-ish periods of time. Good that your body/soul/mind get to rest while you're in-between. i appreciate your post. stillhere
Old 12-27-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

sugarbear!! YAY for your 19 months. awesome. Thanks for the cheer-leading and yes, i think we can do it together. you're well underway and i'm tagging along now.... stillhere
Old 12-27-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

the mud on apple pie image is sure sticking with me!! good one! i've long held a superstition that how one begins the year will impact/influence that year. to start without alcohol is now my goal! thanks for talking to me. stillhere
Old 12-27-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

wow bruce, glad you made it back! my longest sober time was 4 years. i've had several long stretches like that before deciding something equally ridiculous to "a few beers" - mine was one glass of red wine. since white is my drink of choice, i'd be fine. really WRONG!
how i've ever expected another outcome is one of those baffling things that the addict in me has been able to convince me of.
i intend for this time to be the last time. i'm exhausted.
glad you're here! stillhere