Notices

Funny or annoying?

Old 12-26-2012, 07:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Funny or annoying?

First off, my wife is livid.

My Dad and my Dads wife know I don't drink, but don't know that I have a dependency to alcohol that is presently in remission.

For Xmas, they gave me a shirt with a beer company embroidered on the front and my dad's wife made a big deal about the fact that my dad had "forgotten" to give the quality craft beer as well.

I think my Dad, being a smart man and reading between the lines, took the beer out of the gift.

Like I said, my wife is peeved right off and I don't know whether to laugh or roll my eyes!

Lastly, for anyone worried about people questioning why they aren't drinking...in December I've been to a grand total of seven adult functions with booze pouring freely and exactly ZERO people asked why I wasn't drinking.

As was said a million times on this forum, people without drinking problems do not care that other people are not drinking alcohol.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know Xune. I guess I feel stuff like that really isn't funny these days. I'm sure they meant no harm tho I'm sober and I got rid of all my shirts that had booze related stuff on them...
Old 12-26-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Doesn't sound like something worth getting angry about. Dad's wife probably did the shopping and thought it would be a cute gift, beer with the shirt (not realizing your situation). Dad probably did remove the beer (realizing the situation). It's the thought that counts and some people don't think lol
Old 12-26-2012, 07:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MsJax View Post
I don't know Xune. I guess I feel stuff like that really isn't funny these days. I'm sure they meant no harm tho I'm sober and I got rid of all my shirts that had booze related stuff on them...
That's the thing...this will be my first beer sponsored piece of clothing...ever!

Good thing it doesn't fit and no gift receipt with it, as we will now give it away to good will.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Perhaps someone else got their hands on the craft beer and knew you didn't imbibe...
Old 12-26-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

kind of a lame gift even if you were drinking
Old 12-26-2012, 08:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I'm going to guess this is not the first time your dad's wife has had a less than stellar moment in terms of appropriateness?

Personally, I would find it funny. But I have a twisted sense of humor, so what do I know.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would go with both options ... laugh and roll your eyes.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

To those of us who know how desperate and dangerous dependency on alcohol can be: not funny, but instead deadly serious.

But we don't live in a teetotaling world, and we can't change people or anything else beyond our control.

In my own humble opinion you've received a wonderful gift from your wife. I'm sure the gift was meant with the best intentions, but I also think her being peeved is a tiny demonstration of her love and care for you and about you.

Personally I've been considering ordering a Thunderbird Wine t-shirt for the irony, and for the fact that it would be a reminder to me of where I would have ended up if I hadn't gotten sober, gotten into AA and started working a program.

So there: I guess I got you my 2cents for Christmas
Old 12-26-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

It's a shirt. It's a gift. Without knowledge you are an alcoholic they did nothing wrong. To them it's a shirt and a gift.

If your wife gets angry let her. But lighten up a bit. You have a good perspective. Pick something that matters to get upset about, not a harmless thing from those outside your inner circle who don't know of you issues. If those people did this then you have something to be concerned about.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My grandfather still received baskets of wine from enabling coworkers after he became sober. And when I say baskets, i mean like 6-8 bottles in a basket for a holiday or birthday. Drove my grandmother nuts. However-if you want to drink it doesnt matter if someone gives it to you or you have to stop at the store on the way home. If you dont want to drink, you can take that gift and hand it to someone else.

Personally-it's a dumb gift-but kudos to your dad for removing the beer that was to go with it. Being from the family member of the alcoholic- as much as i would love to say i would just shrug it off-i would probably be a little ticked off-but after a few minutes i would prob just say forget it.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by bamboo10
Personally-it's a dumb gift-
That's why I think it's funny I guess. Alcohol inspired clothing seems so sophmoric, which I find funny. Reminds me of the Budweiser t-back bathing suit I wore in the
80's...lol stupid. Now that I've grown up I don't wear booze clothing..or anything "assless".
Old 12-26-2012, 08:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

I got rid of my corona boxer shorts too...
Old 12-26-2012, 09:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hmm, I would find it annoying. My family wouldn't give me something like that because they know the reasons I quit, but I could just imagine some of my friends/co workers doing something like that as some kind of dig at my former drinking or something.

Though now I'm thinking I like the Thunderbird wine t-shirt idea Or maybe MD 20/20 or buckfast... something classy like that x
Old 12-26-2012, 09:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

When I go to parties, I find that the only people who seem to notice or care that I'm not drinking are those who drink quite a bit themselves (i.e. other "problem" drinkers and would-be alcoholics) the rest of them barely notice!