Notices

Creeping Through A First Dry Christmas.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Creeping Through A First Dry Christmas.

I have only been on here a few times, but have had some great help over the last week. Finding this place has been a real assistance.
I have managed to get through several family gatherings without a drink. Can't say that I have not craved a glass of wine ( or 6 !) but have felt better without it. It seemed that when I was drinking, any opportunity to drink became the main focus of my day, I have realised that without drink there are lots of things to do, like cook the dinner, play with the kids.....do what other people do. If I drink then that is what I want to do, it is the focus of the day. Does that make sense? Done 10 days, done it before, but then gone back on again, so one day at a time.

PS I found a thread on here a little while ago, it contained a number of excerpts from a book about recovery, posted by someone called 'Greenleaf', cann anyone help me find it? If found it useful and cannot find it again.

Thanks to all.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Its the Under the Influence thread - excerpts from the book of the same name.
It's at the top of the Alcoholism forum if you lose the link again

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

The first Christmas is always rough - especially if you're still in early recovery - but seem like you're doing great - stick with it...and keep reaching out for support if and when you need it, Will

D
Old 12-26-2012, 06:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Will69 View Post
If I drink then that is what I want to do, it is the focus of the day. Does that make sense?
Makes perfect sense. If I was drinking then that would always be my main focus and anything else was just getting in the way of my drinking! It's no way to live. I have found this month really tough too but it will be easier next year Well done Will x
Old 12-26-2012, 06:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Will69
If I drink then that is what I want to do, it is the focus of the day. Does that make sense?
Makes sense to me...I did it for most of my life...It's called obsessing.