Notices

Can't Undo The Past - The Damage Has Been Done

Old 12-25-2012, 03:40 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I am trying to figure this out as well!
Old 12-25-2012, 05:32 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

As you know the AA program has a step which deals with "making amends" This is designed to effect some closure to these feelings of guilt and remorse. If you are not an "AA person" then perhaps there are other ways. Are you a Catholic? If so there is always confession and absolution. And if you focus on the fact that in many ways this is an illness then this may help with some of the guilt (although moral choice is also involved; someone had to bend an elbow to take that first drink, and the next, etc. And, like diabetes, an alcoholic must eventually realize that he or she can no more drink alcohol than a diabetic can eat sugar). But to a significant extent it's an illness, a medical condition, particularly if genetic factors are involved and especially in the later stages of alcoholism when chemical and physiological changes in the body have made drinking almost a necessity. Counseling is also a possibility and many counselors would try to get you to look as much as possible on the positive side, look ahead rather than back. If you've caused trouble and heartache for others in the past then maybe it's time to rectify the imbalance- do something good for another person. If you're truly in recovery, then carry the message to others who are where you have been. Help other alcoholics and addicts.

W.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:42 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I am dealing with this too as I think a lot of us have...my sponser told me that every sober day I have gets me further away from being the person I was when I did things during drinking. That really helps me. I am also working the steps in AA and attending meetings daily. Lots of hope in the rooms and I believe it's contagious. You're doing great, hang in there!
Old 12-25-2012, 07:50 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Recovered

I use my experience to benefit others. I do not regret my past. I have been forgiven by those I hurt and do not waste any more self-pity (ego) on it.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:40 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Im getting ready to go to aa meeting. Can I attend anyone or are some closed?

My bigweight on my shoulders is a poor financial decision regarding our house that has set us back considerably. Not really alcohol related, it was a while ago, but it is now eating me alive since I stopped drinking.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:42 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I guess Im not alone. GoodLuck!