Notices

Ideas for recovering while unemployed and/or just bored???

Old 12-23-2012, 08:03 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

((avocado)) - snorting was not my thing, either, but crack took me to my bottom. I'm glad that it doesn't have that hold on you.

The really cool thing about volunteering is, you can find a "fit" and it's highly likely you will find the same "fit" in another city.

I was reading the paper, today, and read of a 91-year-old woman who volunteers in children's hospitals. She spent years at one place, moved, found another hospital. I know, for a fact, that there are a slew of sr. centers in the area where I live.

That may not be your thing, but there are soooo many volunteer opportunities that cover every city.

I also understand the need for stimulus, which is why I went back to school. I ruined my nursing career with addiction, but I just got another degree for another area in healthcare....with honors! OMG, crack didn't fry ALL my brain cells

It took me a while, took hooking up with an online school that didn't meet my needs, but I found what stimulated my brain, what made me think. I then found what made me feel awesome (my volunteer job). I'm STILL trying to link the two together, and it may not happen, but I will never regret what I've done....a far cry from when I regretted ALL that I had done.

I think you've got the right attitude. Put your recovery first? The rest will fall into place, though, for me, it took some time. I spent a lot of time putting one foot in front of the other, just kept moving forward, but I can't TELL you how awesome my life is now.

You can DO this! Get out there, help someone in any way you can, and keep working on moving. As long as you don't thing "moving will keep me sober" you'll be okay. YOU are the only one who can keep you sober, and you can find that it doesn't matter where you are or who you are with, recovery is a priority. Take it from someone who's been-there-done-that

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-23-2012, 08:12 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yes, I certainly don't have the thought that moving will keep me sober. If anything, I think traveling around for a while (I plan on visiting some of the states I haven't been to) will be a source of temptation - you know, arriving to some cool city and wanting to chill in a bar. But, I know I can avoid it because I have before. I appreciate what you've said. It is encouraging.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:28 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CharlieNoogan View Post
So AA meetings are out, volunteering/community work is out...

You could put all of your efforts into finding a paying job. Just sayin'...
I like where you are going here....It gives you pride...but it won't stop an addiction......Some advice though on job searching....search the online jobs data base in your area for traineeships....and apply to as many as possible....free qualifications and more then likely (if you work hard) a job after a year or two as a trainee. Worked for me....and yes I was drinking back then
Old 12-23-2012, 08:54 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

((Avocado)) - that's what's so COOL about volunteer jobs. Instead of heading to the nearest bar, you can find a similar organization and work for them! I don't doubt that you can go to a bar and not drink, but I found that wasn't really any fun. Watching people get stupid and drinking my nonalcholic drinks? The others just annoyed me though it DID make me grateful I wasn't "one of the stupid people"!!

Find a passion, something you feel really strong about, and give it your all. Yes, I needed an income, but the "benefits" I found from volunteering can't be measured in dollars.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-23-2012, 08:59 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I always wonder how people that are unemployed can still afford to smoke crack and drink... I couldn't even pay my cable bill when I was on unemployment... Hope you find what your looking for...
Old 12-23-2012, 09:23 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I am unemployed right now, but I am living with my daughter and I can keep pretty busy helping with my granddaughter and helping around the house.

I know what you mean about the boredom part as before I moved in with her I was in my own place and it was jut bad as I felt stagnated and I was bored. Hated my place and couldn't function in it. What I did start doing was getting back to some things that I use to do. Reading, walking, and trying to get into photography again. I use to love doing all this stuff. Just small things that I use to enjoy doing before the madness took me over.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:40 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

well, wifi - I really can't afford it. But I came into some extra money that I should be saving and instead partied with it - another of the many reasons I need to stop this insanity.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:31 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Not Alone

When I got home from rehab I was unemployed for 2 months. Which was an incredibly short amount of time given the current economic climate. I got bored very very quickly. I went to an awful lot of meetings and did a lot of recovery work but I found myself being a bit burnt out from it at points. So I had to set up some kind of structure. I went on bike rides for half the day and spent the other half doing recovery work. I had to actively go and seek some new hobbies. When I was at home alone because everyone else was at work I felt like I was behind enemy lines with my mind. I had to find stuff to do otherwise I started losing my grip on my recovery.

Natom.