Notices

scary hangover!

Old 12-23-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy scary hangover!

I've been drinking since I was 12 , through shyness basically but my hangovers seem to be getting worse and worse today I nearly had a panic attack everything I thought of was terrible-and was sick for 5 hours -my friend who drank the same as me had a perfectly normal day ,what is wrong with me? I know I must stop but I don't know how our socialize as I rely on it so much but I feel its destroying me any advice much appreciated !!
Old 12-23-2012, 01:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by daisydonut100 View Post
I've been drinking since I was 12 , through shyness basically but my hangovers seem to be getting worse and worse today I nearly had a panic attack everything I thought of was terrible-and was sick for 5 hours -my friend who drank the same as me had a perfectly normal day ,what is wrong with me? I know I must stop but I don't know how our socialize as I rely on it so much but I feel its destroying me any advice much appreciated !!
What's more important... your life and sanity or "socializing" ??

I found sobriety, sanity, serenity and a good social life in Alcoholics Anonymous.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 12-23-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

Yep daisy, I remember when the anxiety, shakes, and panic attacks began. It only gets worse. It wasn't enough to make me stop then. But I realized after a few terrible goes on the merry go round; as Bob said above living outside of insanity (quitting alcohol totally) was easier than to continue to drink. You can turn it around now by putting down the poison!

Would you be willing to try AA to meet people? People that don't drink?
Old 12-23-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know exactly where you're coming from daisydonut. alcohol brings me out of my shell.

Not only that but on the rare occasions that I have been sober at a party or the pub not only am I shy but I'm not even interested in engaging the **** wrecks because their drunken babble is so uninteresting....

You need to find a new venue to socialize. Perhaps some new friends. That is not to say you have to ditch your old ones. Just find new places to hang out.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When that room starts spinnin you sure stop grinnin!

Had a convulsion once after a big night.

Better shy than 'pseudo confident' drunk.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Daisy

A lot of us find our hangovers and the panic attacks get worse and worse the more years we drink.

I know a life without alcohol is scary but I really encourage you to think about it sooner rather than later.

You'll find hundreds of people living happy fulfilled lives without alcohol - it takes some changes but it is possible - and more than than that - it's a great way to live

welcome to SR
D
Old 12-23-2012, 03:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Welcome Daisy-you'll find support here if you decide to quit. You may not be able to drink "normally" because you have an addiction. Better to find out now when you're young and it hasn't progressed any further (and it will). Your body is telling you something with the hangovers. It will get louder if you ignore it.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My father passed away a couple months ago from cancer. Guess where the cancer was. In the most vulnerable parts of his body. His lungs because he smoked for over 60 years, his liver because he drank for over sixty years. He would never admit that drinking was an addiction. He even smoked up until the day he died. He would have a cigarette in one hand and his inhaler in another. It was not a pretty picture. Just saying listen to your body. Disease attacks the weak parts of your body. Your body is dehydrated from all the alcohol, everyday. Your body doesn't have time to recover when you drink on a daily basis. Your body is talking to you real loud, listen. I'm praying for you. Keep trying no matter what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-23-2012, 04:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Daisyd. I started out drinking because I was shy & self-conscious too. I relied on it to see me through all kinds of situations. All those years I was drinking it was taking a terrible toll on me. I was panicky and miserable at the end of my drinking career. It was never fun anymore - just unpredictable and dangerous.

I'm glad you joined us - you aren't alone with this. Keep reading and posting. There is life after alcohol, even though it seems impossible now. Don't stop trying to make a better life for yourself. You can do it.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I used to always get a hangover . Some very bad . Eat well and drink plenty of fluids . Sleep is also great .
Old 12-23-2012, 04:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi daisy. Socializing is important but I think you may find sober socializing to be just as fun and even more rewarding if you give it a shot.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The hangover's will get worse. Drinking has no net benefits for your body. Sure, a cardiologist may advice that one glass of wine has a slight chance of decrease one form of Cancer versus those who don't drink one glass of wine, but alcohol attacks and disrupts and incredible amount of functions in your body. The end result its damage systemically to your brain, liver, kidneys, GI tract, and lot of neurological deficits.

And how does our body tell us we are doing that is bad? The next day! We feel it everywhere! Yet we, as a society, brush it off as some kind of weening into normalcy.

Well, at some point those H/Os starting into W/D (withdrawals) as early as the next evening. I believe that is what you are experiencing. It gets worse and it gets scary. You can drown it out like most alcoholics, or take time off...but it will always come back.

I suggest leaving the alcoholic life behind.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

As above, your poisoning yourself, that makes you feel crap afterwards. The more you do it the worse you feel, stop it and you'll feel better, don't stop and eventually you will, Stop.