Notices

Why do members who have been sober for years still attend AA?

Old 12-23-2012, 09:53 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

if those with years of recvoery werent there to help me, to share what they used to be like, what happended, and what they are like now, i highly doudt i would have been able to get sober.
dr Bob sums it up pretty good for me:
" i spend a great deal of time passing on what i have learned to toehrs who want and need it badly. i do it for 4 reasons:
sense of duty
it is a pleasure
because in doing so i am paying my debt to the man who too the time to pass it on to me.
because every time i do it i take out a little more insurance for myself against a possible drunk."
Old 12-23-2012, 10:46 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

In my meeting today, the guy that chaired was 25 years clean and said he goes everyday because it is only an hour and it is like church. You don't stop going to church once you understand the religion, you continue to go because there is always a message. I'm new to this, so that is not my wisdom! Lol Just thought it was interesting that this question was pose on the board and that it came up in my meeting.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:17 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Originally Posted by Tamerua View Post
I'm new to this, so that is not my wisdom!
Dont worry, I can only speak for me. And others that say the same thing.

But 99 % of anything I say was not from my great mind.. I simply listened and borrowed from the other people in the room...
Old 12-23-2012, 12:44 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I've got 22 years sober and attend at least 3 meetings a week. When I started AA my life was a smoking crater from stem to stern. 22 years later the kids are grown, I've got 9 grandkids that fight over who gets to play with me. I work, love and play well with others. My life is pretty cool even when things get funny. It would be criminal not to share with others what was so freely given to me.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:03 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IndaMiricale View Post
Dont worry, I can only speak for me. And others that say the same thing.

But 99 % of anything I say was not from my great mind.. I simply listened and borrowed from the other people in the room...
Same here. I only look tall because I stand on the shoulders of giants.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:28 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
Not wanting a debate in the newcomers forum, but since the theme of the thread is attending meetings, just want to say here that the BB does not say AA sobriety is contingent on attending meetings. AA sobriety is contingent on having a spiritual solution to alcoholism is what is said.

Thank you...For clarifying that.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:44 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

I like what Sapling said, and that is my 1/2 my reason, be of service to the newcomer. I also like what BruceJ said, We keep what we have by giving it away. What a paradox!

Blessings, Lily
Old 12-23-2012, 03:54 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Recovery , Service , and Unity...

Look at the symbol..

For the circle is the fellowship"meetings"..

That covers all..

The bottom _ Recovery "If one was to ask how to you get that and keep it"

Well its a 3 legged stool. Cant stand with 1 or 2 legs..

So then the \ Service which is so important. No matter what aspect. But service leads to

/ and Unity.. Unity and We recover..

Around and around it goes.. You cant have service and unity without anyone else..

And thats why it only takes 2 people to make a meeting..
Old 12-23-2012, 04:32 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not an AA member, but I have been coming to SR for years and I love it.

For me, recovery is not about alcohol, but it's a way of life. It's living my life with gratitude and understanding that I can cope with things in my life and remain peaceful. SR is my lifeline.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:52 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Cool

As Bill W described it.................:

"...the new symbol for A.A., a circle enclosing a triangle. The circle stands for the whole world of A.A., and the triangle stands for A.A.’s Three Legacies of Recovery, Unity, and Service..." (Alcoholics Anonymous Comes of Age; pg139).

We do 'recover;' we are 'united;' we do perform 'service' work....and for some, that service work is carrying the messsage in the rooms of AA. However, that's not the only way (or place) to carry the messsge, and many AAer's do not attend meetings at all.

I know that a lot of AAer's use the old addage....: "Meeting makers make," but the only thing that meeting makers make is..............meetings. Ther're not a requirement............

(o;
NoelleR
Old 12-23-2012, 08:03 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
AA Member

Can't add much to what has been said, but, like you, I am in awe of those "oldtimers." Also, I am reminded all the time that alcohol is a very subtle foe. The deterioration of my thinking precedes that first drink. I must be FOREVER vigilant. I've heard some refer to attendance at meetings, continuing to work the Steps, and the like as a form of insurance policy. Seems like very low premiums with tremendous benefits...for everyone.

Best wishes,

Kat
Old 12-23-2012, 08:10 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kitkat1 View Post
Can't add much to what has been said, but, like you, I am in awe of those "oldtimers." Also, I am reminded all the time that alcohol is a very subtle foe. The deterioration of my thinking precedes that first drink. I must be FOREVER vigilant. I've heard some refer to attendance at meetings, continuing to work the Steps, and the like as a form of insurance policy. Seems like very low premiums with tremendous benefits...for everyone.

Best wishes,

Kat
So true...I don't go to meetings everyday anymore...I did my first six months...I had a lot to learn. When I look at the hours a day I committed to drinking for 35 years...An hour a day isn't all that much. And I'm still learning.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:53 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Newcomers remind me of where I have been and old timers remind me of where I could be.

I went to daily meetings during my first year of sobriety and now feel weird if I don't hit a meeting or two a month. I also take part in service work. I;m not dependent on meetings, but I am dependent on the program.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:41 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I'm also well into my third decade and I like to think I still go to meetings to help others, but I'm really there to help me. I try to get to my home group that meets once a week. Sometimes I try get to a second meeting a week but mostly not. There is just not enough time in my life.

Meetings are not only a place where I can carry the message, but it gives me a chance to stop and reflect how I am doing, especially since I'm not a church going person.I also try to take an institutional commitment once or twice I year, and a service position every few years. Sobriety has given me the opportunity to live life, and I live it to the fullest. AA is just one part of my life. People were there for me when I first came around. AA only ask that I be there for those who come after me. That's what I'm trying to do.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:19 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Why do they still attend meetings? I'm guessing because they enjoy them.