Notices

Sobriety sucks so far...

Old 12-21-2012, 05:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety sucks so far...

I was miserable a lot of the time when I was drinking but I am miserable all the time in sobriety. I don't know how to live, I'm bored lonely and isolating worse than I did with the whiskey. There were times I resolved to dying on the booze. I knew it would kill me sooner than later but now I just keep wishing it had. You may ask why I don't just drink then, right? Simply put, ill end up in the hospital before it ever kills me and I don't have the money for that nor can I even begin to consider being responsible for hurting those that care about me any more. How do I live??? Where are the great gifts AA promised me???
Old 12-21-2012, 06:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
2 detoxes down, 0 to go

How long have you been sober? Try to remember that how you feel during early recovery is not how you'll always feel in recovery. Your body and mind have a ton of adjustments to make and it will take time. Depression is a common symptom of Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome. Be patient with yourself and remember that it will get better.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ToughDays View Post
Where are the great gifts AA promised me???
They will always materialize if we work for them....Did you work for them?
Old 12-21-2012, 06:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
instant

Originally Posted by ToughDays View Post
I don't know how to live, I'm bored lonely and isolating
you can always learn-
Old 12-21-2012, 06:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not sure how long you've been sober but it took me a while to find happiness again.

I think some of us dig deeper holes than others y' know?
It can take a while to climb up to the sun again.

I also think it's good to remind ourselves it takes more to build a happy life than just not drinking. What other positive changes have you made in your life?

If you're isolating can you think of things to do - interests hobbies? can you think of places to find sober people?

I'm not in AA but I know many people who are happy in that programme. I'm sure you'll hear from them.

do you think you might be clinically depressed? in that case a Dr could help.

D
Old 12-21-2012, 06:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

what does yer sponsor say? what step are you on? have you put in any footwork to change you?

"nor can I even begin to consider being responsible for hurting those that care about me any more. "

i am guessin yer talkin somewhat about the promises that are read before most metings. do you know where that is in the BB? those promises come before we are halfway through making amends.

How do I live???

get a sponsor, go to meetings, work the steps. that will help you learn how to live. all ya gotta do is put some trust in the people who have worked the steps that you will learn how to live if you are willing to go to any lengths.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can totally relate with what your going through... I have been very happy in sobriety and miserable in sobriety and like others have stated above most of it depends on the work I am putting into my sobriety. I am just coming back after being out there for a while and I can tell you it just gets worse never better and with every relapse it seems like it gets harder and harder to get sober again... Give it a chance, do some work and please don't leave before the miracle happens... We care and are here for you!
Old 12-21-2012, 09:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Cut yourself some slack...you're learning a whole new lifestyle, and it's going to take time to adjust and find what interests you. I think alcohol exaggerates depression, but if you were already depressed just quitting won't bring instant happiness. At the beginning I was just happy not to have a headache, not to worry about getting a dui, and getting to remember what happened the night before. Now I have more to add to the list and it grows the longer I'm sober.
Have you tried other programs besides AA? Do you have friends you can do things with?