Notices

Miserable

Old 12-21-2012, 03:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Miserable

Day 9..I am miserable. Is this normal. I am so angry that I cannot drink normally. I keep telling myself I can.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's normal for a lot of us, wino.
Why not focus on what you can do now, rather than what you can't?

Write a list of everything you're grateful for.
If that doesn't mollify you, write a list of all you hope to achieve now you're sober

D
Old 12-21-2012, 03:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Very normal, it'll come in waves. A lot of it's frustration at yourself for being taken in.

I feel taking yourself off the bottle is like finding out a guy you thought was your best mate is actually a complete d**k who was spending your money, messing up your life and laughing about it behind your back.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think the whole back and forth thing is normal wino. I had absolutely no doubt I was an alcoholic... until I quit and then my head was trying to convince me of anything to make me drink again. Have you got a recovery method you're using? I don't think any of them advocate being miserable and sober so there should be something there to help you x
Old 12-21-2012, 04:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh totally normal! Life is life sober or drunk.... I had the worst day yesterday I thought I was going to loose it for sure. Can you find something to do until the urge passes? you're still early in sobriety. Give it time. You won't know how good it can feel unless you try it right? Tell yourself just today. Maybe you'll drink another day just not today. You can make it.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It is very normal! I still feel that way, but it was way worse in the beginning!
Old 12-21-2012, 04:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by wino1234 View Post
Day 9..I am miserable. Is this normal. I am so angry that I cannot drink normally. I keep telling myself I can.
Yup I have been there too. Especially at the beginning. I pretty well did one minute at a time. I never thought I would make it to 5 months, but I have and you will too!
Old 12-21-2012, 05:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Trying to take it. One day at a time.. I miss my wine though...and no idea how I will say no on Christmas eve. I keep telling myself I'll only have a few. Suppose to go out to dinner Sunday...not sure how I will WO ordering wine. I should go to an AA meeting sometime this week. But I really don't wanna do that either. I'm just angry and sad..but trying to take it one day at a time. I thought it would get better day by day.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It is definitely normal, I had to plan other activities for times I would have been drinking. At night after the kids are in bed I have been doing a lot of reading and spending time on here. Today is 71 days for me and it does get easier. Hang in there.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you. I am starting to feel a little better than before. Reading all the posts help!
Old 12-21-2012, 06:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Wino, It's early days yet for you. I was very miserable and sorry for myself in the beginning. I had relied on alcohol for so many years & was totally dependent on it. I had to remind myself that it was no fun in the end, and it would eventually destroy me.

Things got so much better - I'm a different person now. (I drank for 30 yrs.) You'll get there. Brighter days are ahead. Glad you came here to talk it out, though - it helps take some of the anxiety away.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wine was my thing too! I quit in June. It helped me to plan what I'd do at the time I'd ordinarily open a bottle. I tired various things.....long walks, running errands etc. It does get better with time....hang in there!
Old 12-21-2012, 07:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Gets better. On day 24 and it only started to turn around forme recently. Congrats on your sobriety and best of luck and wishes during the holidays.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Wino, day 9 and you are miserable? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations. I was miserable for a considerable period of time, but 2 years 6 months sober, I feel better. Hang in there and Merry Christmas.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by wino1234 View Post
Trying to take it. One day at a time.. I miss my wine though...and no idea how I will say no on Christmas eve. I keep telling myself I'll only have a few. Suppose to go out to dinner Sunday...not sure how I will WO ordering wine. I should go to an AA meeting sometime this week. But I really don't wanna do that either. I'm just angry and sad..but trying to take it one day at a time. I thought it would get better day by day.
Also remember that there is a grieving process when we give the alcohol up. I was angry, sad, feeling sorry for myself. Didn't know how I would cope without it. I found I spent a lot of time at my daughter's house.

You know as well as I do that we don't stop at one or two. One drink is too many and a 1000 are not enough.

Do you have a sponsor or anyone who you can talk to that has been thru this?
Old 12-22-2012, 12:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think it's normal for a lot of us, wino.
Why not focus on what you can do now, rather than what you can't?

Write a list of everything you're grateful for.
If that doesn't mollify you, write a list of all you hope to achieve now you're sober

D
Hey everyone..worked late today. I feel better then I did but I know the misery will come back. I think I am grieving and I know it will take time but it just sucks...Lady, I have ppl around me that support me. I live w my significant other who rarely drinks and wants me to stop. I don't have anyone who is going through the same thing but supportive ppl around me. My family does not know yet. Ive been to one meeting and will go to another one Sunday. Very intimidating. I think the booze took all my confidence away BC I never l was intimidated easily...well thank you again...I will check in tomorrow. Goodnight
Old 12-22-2012, 01:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wino, I'm on day 10 and have felt just like you describe.
I was terrified that I wouldn't be able to do my job sober, but i tried and although its been tough, very tough, nothing will make me go back to drink now. I'm coping, and have good and very low days. Today is a good day.When it gets really bad i try to remember how vile i felt after drinking and how stupid i must have looked to sober people.I really thought, mints would hide the drink smell and vodka and orange in a bottle would look like just juice!
You will feel better and when you do, enjoy the feeling and think of that at the worst craving times.Gud luck hun xx
Old 12-22-2012, 02:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was miserable too when I first quit drinking. It took me a couple months before I felt normal again. You're very early in recovery. Give yourself time and good treatment and you'll come around. :ghug3
Old 12-22-2012, 02:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hey wino1234
youve heard it here above, but every single day will get better. Ive been through this and still now. Please just hang in there., drinking at dinner on Christmas will not work, at least for me it didnt ever.. just an excuse. why not order a cool drink that isnt alcohol, I like limes and decaf iced tea. just thinking abt you. watch out for the excuse thing, its in your head and trying to pull you back in. dont let it
Best
dub
Old 12-22-2012, 02:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hi Wino,

I started off miserable. I kept a diary and looking back it's obvious how miserable I was, then my mood really started lifting, slowly but surely, from about week three onwards. It might be worth considering a diary so you can see improvements as they happen.

I think it's tough because you hope to feel much better really quickly, and for me that wasn't the case.

Eight months on, though, and I'm happy and content.