Notices

Hello and HELP

Old 12-21-2012, 01:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello and HELP

Where do I start. I am currently sitting in my room at the clinic one week into detox, crying my eyes out and wondering what I did to get to this point. After all, my friends can drink and stop when they want. So how fair is it that a drink I actually enjoy the task of is 'poison' to me????

I am going often from minute to minute of I can do it, to maybe try controlled drinking, to abstain to just plain F**K it.

Fortunately suicide has not entered the equation yet, but if this roller coaster keeps up I just might go and have a last MASSIVE hooray and top myself.

I am lost guys, so lost...
Old 12-21-2012, 02:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi woody - welcome

I think much of what your feeling very common - it's daunting to consider the future at the beginning.

Try not to get overwhelmed - we only live life one day at a time - thats all we're required to do with recovery too.

Try and focus on committing to not drinking today - then follow it up again tomorrow.

You'll find a lot of support here too - you're not alone.

Check out the Class of December thread - also in this forum - it's for everyone quitting this month

D
Old 12-21-2012, 02:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's also a host of Aussie numbers you can call if things get too much Woody

Salvos Care Line
24 hr counselling- 1300 36 36 22
* Counselling Service
* Domestic Violence
* Drugs & Alcohol
* Financial Troubles
* Problem Gambling, and more.

Kids Helpline (to age 25)
free, confidential and anonymous, 24-hour telephone and online counselling service specifically for young people aged between 5 and 25 on all issues including relationships, abuse, homelessness, suicidal thoughts, and drug and alcohol usage.
Phone: 1800 55 1800 (free call from landline)

Lifeline
24 hr counselling. All Issues.
Phone: 13 11 14 (cost of local call from landline)
Lifeline Australia - Home

Crisis Chat - Lifeline
https://www.lifeline.org.au/Find-Hel...es/crisis-chat

This service is available 8pm - midnight 7 days a week
(EST 1 April - 4 October)
(EDT 5 October - 31 March)

If the service appears 'offline' or 'busy', please call Lifeline on 13 11 14.

Suicide Call Back Service
Phone: 1300 659 467
Seven days a week, 10am - 8.30pm (EST) to speak to Suicide Call back Service counsellors. After hours calls are answered by SuicideLine (VIC) counsellors.

D
Old 12-21-2012, 02:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for advice. But at 55 and a non stop drinker since 15 (add to that the 'necessity' to be a big drinker in the militray for 20 years), I can nearly count the number of days I have not had (or snuck) a drink on two hands.

I have been through some hard times, including death close to me. But at moement I have never felt a harder fight coming on.

But thanks for the words of hope and I have been reading the other inspiring posts
Old 12-21-2012, 02:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Forget about the Kids Helpline then

Seriously, tho -

It's never too late to change Woody.
You'll meet people of all ages here from teens to people of your age and older.

I was 40 when I quit - I'd drunk or drugged for nearly 30 years.
The last 6 years have been amazing - and I wish that for you too

If I did it, if everyone else here is doing it, you can do it too Woody

D
Old 12-21-2012, 02:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

In my first few weeks I ran the gamut of emotions as well and rightfully so because it is a very emotional time. The positives here are that you're one week sober and that's sweet! Another positive is that you're reaching out which takes courage. It shows you're a fighter. Seeking counseling from any of the places Dee listed or from any trained cousoler certainly can help. One foot in front of the other right now and one day at a time Woody. God bless!!
Old 12-21-2012, 02:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I dont know how you guys did it then. Because I and in an addiction clinic and finding it so tough. The staff are so supportative, I get to share my shoulder and borrow others when in need, and we get all the meds needed to assist.

Leaves me feeling guilty and weak taht you guys did it the 'tough' way and here I am whinging
Old 12-21-2012, 03:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

None of us start off with all the answers Woody - we all did the hard yards and learned along the way

It's totally natural to freak out a bit...thinking of the rest of your life can be really overwhelming and frightening too...

but give sobriety a chance to become your new normal

Finding SR really helped me - I know we'll help you too.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by WoodyD View Post
Thanks for advice. But at 55 and a non stop drinker since 15 (add to that the 'necessity' to be a big drinker in the militray for 20 years), I can nearly count the number of days I have not had (or snuck) a drink on two hands.

I have been through some hard times, including death close to me. But at moement I have never felt a harder fight coming on.

But thanks for the words of hope and I have been reading the other inspiring posts
Started at 14 ended at 52 and there never was a day I was not drunk or high. I had to be honest with myself. I drank the fun out of booze a long long time ago. I did not drink for the taste I drank to get drunk. I tried for 20 years to drink like other people and found I just could not do it. When alcohol had kicked my a$$ for the hundreth time I gave up trying and found AA.

AA has saved a lot of lives and it saved mine