Notices

ideas needed.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

ideas needed.

First day of trying not to drink and when ordering a diet coke everyone assumes I'm pregnant, any good ideas I can give people as to why I'm not drinking because im really not pregnant but can't think of a good excuse. ,I'm not ready to tell everyone the truth yet.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I understand well not wanting to tell others the truth about yourself. The question is, why not?
Old 12-15-2012, 11:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

detox, antibiotics,trying to lose weight, just feeling under the weather,health issues, just don't fancy a drink.

You'll prob find people don't pay half as much attention as you think they will
Old 12-15-2012, 11:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
detox, antibiotics,trying to lose weight, just feeling under the weather,health issues, just don't fancy a drink.

You'll prob find people don't pay half as much attention as you think they will
you are correct, in the big picture they really don`t care.....I remember times asking a friend at some point why they aren`t having a drink but when they have an answer I have basically moved on past really caring.........just simply say "not in the mood"
Old 12-15-2012, 11:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You know, a polite "No" is just fine, and it is a complete sentence as well. I found that most people don't really care if I drink or not.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My main problem is I go to the same pub with the same people every day and none of the excuses iv thought of seem believable to them. I'm really struggling, but its only day one, I cant give in this time I have to see it through. The main reason is tellin them means i have to admit it publicly and also that if i admit that iv admitted to myself that i have a problem it will just prove them right because iv been denying it for ages and i dunno.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm early on but from whatI've read from others if you want to stay sober you need to stay away from old drinking haunts and people where activities revolve solely round drinking

I'm trying to get sober and no way I would go to the pub every day -too much temptation
Old 12-15-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lexi1991 View Post
My main problem is I go to the same pub with the same people every day and none of the excuses iv thought of seem believable to them. I'm really struggling, but its only day one, I cant give in this time I have to see it through. The main reason is tellin them means i have to admit it publicly and also that if i admit that iv admitted to myself that i have a problem it will just prove them right because iv been denying it for ages and i dunno.
I have gone out a few times and have had guys look at me and shake their head when I come back to the table with a bottle of water......Its usually the same person every time..........I just came to find out the last time we were chatting on a night out that he told me he drinks no less that 9 to 15 beers a day.........and I`m going to give two ***** about him shaking his head at me?....no way.......
Old 12-15-2012, 11:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I dont think I can stay out the pub and i figured the best way to be able to stay sober around people that drink is to start trying to be sober in the pub if that makes sense.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was at a party last night, with about 40 people.

A grand total zero people asked me why I drank club soda all night.

Secondly, you don't owe anyone an explanation.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I would avoid the pub for a few days so you aren't tempted. The idea of facing reality though makes sense, and you will encounter alcohol again. For now though, lets get you at least a few days or a week in.

There are any number of reasons to not drink....but until you say "I just dont want a beer right now," you may be fooling yourself too. You aren't there to impress them....and after a few snark remarks, they'll catch tune....and may even ask "How's that non-drinking going? I want in...."
Old 12-15-2012, 12:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was forced to quit drinking for a month because I developed a stomach ulcer. People understood when I told them. You could use that.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

I have seen this topic come up quite a bit. In my experience, I did have a number of debates over it the first few weeks. It was not easy a few times, even having an open beer put in my hand after saying 'no thanks I'm good'. I decided then that it has to be 'I CAN NOT drink today' with what ever reason works at the time. There may be times when you have to be firm so be ready ahead of time. In those situations it is too hard to just 'cross that bridge when you come to it'. Be prepared and be firm, IMHO.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I quit hanging around with my old crowd completely for a few months. I wouldn't have trusted myself not to drink if I just carried on with the same routines and people as before.
With family (dad, brothers and sister are all problem drinkers/alcoholic),I told them I had stomach issues and alcohol made me ill. This is true so I just left out the bit about being an alcoholic.
It is only in the past few weeks that I've re-connected with old friends as I feel confident enough to do so. I'm coming up to 7 months sober now. I've kept up the 'alcohol made me ill so I had to stop, now I feel so much better I've decided not to go back to it' line. All true.
I've had various responses-teasing, re-telling of old stories about my drunken behaviour, some pressure to drink. But now they're pretty much accepting and moved onto another topic of conversation.
My advice would be to avoid temptation at first if at all possible. Tell them alcohol makes you ill and you're taking a break from it. If they're true friends they won't want you to do something that makes you ill x
Old 12-15-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
NAIOU

One that has worked for me is tell them you have developed an allergic reaction to alcohol and it makes me sick. People seem to understand a medical issue. I will tell you a funny story that happened to me. I had a tool guy that came to my work every Friday to sell tools. He always had a cooler of beer and ask me to drink one with him. I kept saying no and he would not give up and asked me every Friday to drink with him. So one Friday he asked me to drink with him and I said OK, but there is a problem you don't have enough for me. I said I tell you what go down to the store and buy 2 cases of beer and on your way back pick up an ounce of cocaine and some heroin and then after that I am going to try and sleep with your wife. He said dang after all of that I would probably let you. He never asked me to drink with him again. This is a true story and funny as heck. Hope this helps. Love and Respect. Logo
Old 12-15-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Okay, day one.... I'll start again tomorrow.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Stay away from the pub. You can tell them the truth, drinking is too expensive and you can't afford it anymore, you feel the effects more than you used to and have decided to quit.

Alcohol abuse IS expensive, the cost of booze, cabs, repairs to crap we broke, medical expenses. And then there is the emotional cost.

If people say "what's the matter, are you a wuss." an answer that nearly always shuts them us is "Yeah, I guess so." with a tone of surprise, followed by a big old smile.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

'No thanks', should work just fine.

And, know that you don't know anyone an explanation.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Serenity Now!

a friend at work was asking me and a few others to have a drinking night next friday before christmas. i just use the im trying to get healthy and lose a few pounds, said wanted to lose around 20. before i started drinking again, too many calories.

it has worked for me so far. not ready to use im a full blown alcoholic, and never drinking again.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I have only been sober for 7 days. I remember though when I was asked if I want a few weeks back. I said no, and I was asked right away if I were an alcoholic. It embarrased the hell out of me at the time. Fact of the matter is, I AM an alcholic. I just pray that I keep this attitude!