Notices

Bill Clegg's "Ninety Days" Book

Old 12-18-2012, 08:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bill Clegg's "Ninety Days" Book

I just finished reading Bill Clegg's "Ninety Days" and it was fantastic. I knew that I had to read it when the book was partially written/credited to those of us that are "counting days." I would recommend this book to all, but there was one slight problem. Although the book filled a void of wanting to drink, there were days where reading about relapse and slip ups made it seem ok if I were to slip up.

Does anyone have any experiences like this?

Thanks!

DNVR
Old 12-19-2012, 07:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

My alcoholism tells me it's ok to drink. It tells me I can drink just one. It lies to me.

I haven't read the book and I don't know what 'counting days' means but I understand the feelings of being triggered.

A friend of mine said this recently and it made so much sense to me. "Just because I have a thought, does not mean I have to act on it. For example, if I'm standing at the sink and I think I should walk to the window. I don't have to. I can just stay where I am."
Old 12-19-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I guess the trigger in the book was that while Bill Clegg was on his way to recovery, he relapsed and fell back to his old ways. Within chapters, he had already racked up 90 days of sobriety.

Reading how Bill was able to fall back to old ways and then gain 90 days of sobriety made it seem like I could have a few slip ups with drinking before I decided to get really serious. My silly brain tricked me. Chapters go by quicker than days!

Anyways, there is no spoiler about the book above. And don't take me wrong because I'm talking about this. The book has actually helped me stay sober as well.

In regards to not understanding what counting days is. Counting days refers to all of us who are counting each day of sobriety and using that number as fuel to keep furthering how many days we can and will remain living a sober lifestyle.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've not read the book either.

but...you hear it said a lot 'I'm not sure I have another relapse in me'...for me, thats true..I can't be certain I'd make it back...and I'm really not being melodramatic.

even after all the work I've done I can't take that for granted, because last time this addiction nearly killed me.

D
Old 12-19-2012, 09:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I got very annoyed when a friend who thought I had been drinking tried to reassure me that it was OK to relapse and that it is a normal part of getting sober. I was annoyed on two fronts firstly I had not been drinking and secondly I don't take relapsing lightly. Early in sobriety I listened constantly to online broadcasts on relapsing to avoid relapsing. I knew if I could get a bit of time up I would be stronger to handle the mental cravings.

CaiHong
Old 12-19-2012, 09:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I completely get counting days (tomorrow will be day 70), I keep thinking I will get beyond it at some point, just not there yet. Thanks for sharing this book title, I am always looking for good reads!