Notices

Very Concerned

Old 12-19-2012, 03:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Very Concerned

Someone I've been rooting for just relapsed after 3 years of sobriety and would have been four this February. Watching her cry and explain she has no friends...It broke my heart to pieces. She was an inspiration to others. I'm concerned about her because I know she has a bad liver from her past drinking. If you're the praying type can you please pray for/ send out good thoughts for her to find sobriety again.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Mind yourself too Newhope.
Seems to be a lot of that around my area too.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It sounds terrible but her relapse keeps me firm in my sobriety because I know how terrible relapsing feels. I just can't stand knowing she's out there doing god knows what. She promised me she was taking herself to an AA meeting but I'm not sure she did.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

prayers for your friend Newhope...and for you too.

This addiction thing is relentless...I really believe tho that there is always hope, and that people really do recover...for good.

Sometimes we just need a few run ups.

D
Old 12-19-2012, 03:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi. I can relate a little ... I had liver issues in summer 2010 (jaundice, liver failure). I stopped drinking for two years, and felt very proud. Then I relapsed.. and very quickly became the drinker I was two years earlier, and worse, and ultimately got a dui .. which I'm actually thankful for because it shook me back to reality.

This all happened this summer/fall - two solid years sober - I was nearing the final steps of my divorce and found out a few hurtful things that I had a hard time dealing with .. depression set in again .. felt very sorry for myself .. lost and alone. Similar to your friend, I have no close friends, and I think I just gave up, in saddness. One "safe" drink to escape led to umpteen.

Back on track now, I have learned from my relapse - and so will your friend I'm sure. Me, I sought better help this time. Even though I have no super-close friends, my family has been supportive. I hadn't confided in them, or anyone, before. AA is helping, as is counselling. For me, I am realizing I "need a life" ... and working on that.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that.... Maybe you can steer your friend in the direction of seeking help too. AA, her doctor, some counselling, etc. The beginning of a plan .. a goal or two .. something to look forward to, and to work on.

Best wishes to your friend. Positive thoughts.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Prayers for your friend and for you.

It's so sad to see someone you care for go through this.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mulch View Post
Hi. I can relate a little ... I had liver issues in summer 2010 (jaundice, liver failure). I stopped drinking for two years, and felt very proud. Then I relapsed.. and very quickly became the drinker I was two years earlier, and worse, and ultimately got a dui .. which I'm actually thankful for because it shook me back to reality.

Back on track now, I have learned from my relapse - and so will your friend I'm sure. Me, I sought better help this time.

Best wishes to your friend. Positive thoughts.
Thank you for sharing your experiences because it gives me hope that she will be okay too.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your friend, I will keep you both in my prayers!