Notices

so sad...just coming off of a slip...

Old 12-19-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ba**ysMama

so sad...just coming off of a slip...

well folks, might as well be honest with someone.. I slipped up after staying sober for a few days..I felt sooo much better sober too.. I have these times..usually a week..or two or so..that I don't drink, and I feel so productive and wonderful...then I have these slip ups..and drink for 24 hrs..uggg.. well, atleast my hangover is going away..but I made such an ass of myself this last bender..and feel so guilty..and embarassed.. well..just needed to get that out.. thank you guys for just listening<3
Old 12-19-2012, 02:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Don't let it get you down. I slipped hundreds of times. Just remember how you feel now and where that first drink will lead you. You can do it!
Old 12-19-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back

I did that for 15 years so I know what it's like.

You just have to work out what you need to add to make the shift to sobriety a permanent one BM

More changes in your life perhaps, or more support?

D
Old 12-19-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Barrysmamma,
I did that for years, trying to moderate, it never worked. The only thing that works for me is giving up completely. There is a lot of advice here on how to do that but you need to decide.
All the best
CaiHong
Old 12-19-2012, 04:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I think if you can figure out what is happening that causes you to relapse, it would really help. The main thing is to not give up, and to keep working at it.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ba**ysMama

Thank you guys for the reinforcement..it does help me to know it happens to others as well, and I totally agree with the idea that I need to pinpoint what causes it...the one thing that stands out in my mind is boredom...I have a depression/anxiety problem as well, and when I get bored/depressive/low...alcohol is the first place my mind goes..I am so shameful of how I have acted..
Old 12-19-2012, 04:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

See if you can figure something out why you make the choice to have that first drink.

That way, you'll be better prepared when faced with the choice.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BarrysMama View Post
Thank you guys for the reinforcement..it does help me to know it happens to others as well, and I totally agree with the idea that I need to pinpoint what causes it...the one thing that stands out in my mind is boredom...I have a depression/anxiety problem as well, and when I get bored/depressive/low...alcohol is the first place my mind goes..I am so shameful of how I have acted..
Wow-
I completely get that. Boredom is my killer trigger, my brain goes nuts. Do something thats not boring when you want to drink. I know, sounds easy. Its not, i totally get the boredom thing. But Im not bored when hungover, just very miserable.
dub
Old 12-19-2012, 04:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ba**ysMama

Thanks dub- glad you can relate..and thank u for the advice..I will do that..I know I need to.. and how is your situation coming along? I was concerned about you the other day..
Old 12-19-2012, 05:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Don't be so hard on yourself. Just remember how you feel 2day,and how you don't want to go through that again. I know how you feel though. I've done it too many times to count. Just keep on trying until you get it right. That's my plan, but sometimes very overwhelming. But definitly worth the effort.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Boredom and anxiety are triggers for me too. I started planning for some alternative activities I could try when I get that way... Some of them are major things like skydiving and continuing flight school and art classes, yoga, jogging... Others are just little easy to do things like listening to a good song or calling an old friend. Going to a meeting is always a nice idea for me too, I don't know if you're into that, but it helps to at least have a few sober buddies to hang with and talk to.

I know you can do it. Just don't give up. Thanks for being kind to me earlier you really helped. You seem very compassionate and that's a real gift. Bless you.