Notices

Any good excuses to tell people why I'm not drinking?

Old 12-19-2012, 10:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Any good excuses to tell people why I'm not drinking?

Hello, of course my close friends/family know about my alcoholism. But I would NEVER tell a colegue or anyone in my professional world. (none of them would even suspect). In my line of work, if a potential client learned that I am recovering, they would judge off the bat & not want to give me their business. (i see it happen all time) I'd be too much of a risk etc. etc. (even though im a functioning alcy) My question is, when I go to special events or cocktail parties for work. What are some good excuses as to why I'm not drinking? So far, all I have is- I'm on antibiotics
Old 12-19-2012, 04:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm pretty new to this, but I wonder why anyone has to know why?

I dont drink, it's because my brother is an alcoholic, my uncle was and frankly, I'm scared of the stuff.....I've been asked why I dont drink and my answer is "because I choose not to". That is usually enough, but a few folks have pursued the question and I simply ignore them.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm driving?

I don't drink alcohol?

I don't drink?

(bearing in mind that they don't know that you have a problem - they wouldn't bat an eyelid no matter what reason you come up with so don't worry about it)

x
Old 12-19-2012, 04:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No thanks, I don't drink. Yeah, I stopped back in xxxx, lost a bunch of weight and realized I didn't miss drinking, so I stopped completely.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Same as others just say it as it is.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ba**ysMama

Alergic?? hey some folks are.. or that it ruins your sleep?
Old 12-19-2012, 05:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Don't lie.

Say, 'No thanks'. You don't owe anyone an explanation.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I understand what you are thinking about. Every single person I seem to meet who doesn't drink is either pregnant or recovering. I don't know what industry you are in and I do think some situations where alcohol is being pushed then it can put you in an awkward situation. I go to lots of wine dinners and every social situation I'm in seems to call for lots of booze. The other reason people give is " I overdid it last night ". I might have to resort to that one when I'm ready to go to one. I remember last time I was at a champagne industry party and only one guy wasn't drinking. When I started talking to him I have to admit I was curious and next thing I knew he was telling me that every time he drank a lot he ended up with a baby ( he now has 8 ) and so he stopped drinking!
Some other reasons
I have to get up at the crack of dawn
I'm training for a marathon
I'm doing a cleanse
I'm designated driver
Old 12-19-2012, 05:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just give me a diet coke, or a fresca if you have one... thanx!

Old 12-19-2012, 05:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Every single person I seem to meet who doesn't drink is either pregnant or recovering.
It felt like that to me too - but I regularly meet non drinkers everywhere now...

Maybe it's age...but I also think the changes I made in my life and my friends had a lot to do with it.

D
Old 12-19-2012, 05:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanx guys!
Old 12-19-2012, 05:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

We live in strange times when if someone doesn't drink, we think they are an alcoholic.

Seriously, just say "no, thanks." If they push it, look them straight in the eyes and repeat, "no."

I spent far too much time in the previous sober periods trying to come up with good excuses, usually linked to so medical condition/test or upcoming surgery along with a health goal I had set and a temporary break. It all got too complicated. Straightforward and unapologetic is the best bet.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
We live in strange times when if someone doesn't drink, we think they are an alcoholic.

Seriously, just say "no, thanks." If they push it, look them straight in the eyes and repeat, "no."

I spent far too much time in the previous sober periods trying to come up with good excuses, usually linked to so medical condition/test or upcoming surgery along with a health goal I had set and a temporary break. It all got too complicated. Straightforward and unapologetic is the best bet.
I think the difference is when you are trying to not succumb to friends and acquaintances where of course a no or ignoring them will do the trick and when you might be in a business situation when you are trying to schmooze a client or not to let your boss and colleagues suspect that you have a problem. Many a business deal happens after hours so telling the person you are with that you do not want to partake when they are having a great time can be a delicate situation. Then you might need the abilities of a politician. Practice the art of being cagey.