Notices

Sober but look tired?

Old 12-19-2012, 06:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober but look tired?

I've been a heavy drinker since my early to mid twenties and I am in my early 30's now. I'm in an intensive outpatient program and haven't drank since 12/12/12. I have been exhausted but in addition I look worse now that I'm sober than I did when I was drinking. My skin doesn't look great and I constantly look exhausted. I'm not sure if this is part of the process or not but I would really like to not look so worn out. I am sleeping at night but after work am in my program for 4hrs mon-thurs.

Has anyone else had this experience of just looking tired and worn out when they got sober? Just curious if this is something that goes away with time.

Oh and I eat very healthy, drink lots of water and take vitamins which have all been approved by a doctor.

Thanks,
Old 12-19-2012, 06:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I started drinking green smoothies and they have REALLY sorted my skin, eyes, nails, hair, energy etc..

Give them a go if you haven't already. Blend spinach with banana and some frozen fruit. Add some flaxmeal from the supermarket drink and enjoy.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Janis,

I wouldn't worry about it this early in your recovery. You're body is going through a lot right now.

I'm only on sober day 18 myself, and I've been a bit disappointed that I haven't experienced the glowing, healthy skin that others are reporting after stopping drinking for only a few days.

But I'm not worrying about it now. I'm really concentrating on eating good, taking my vitamins, sleeping and getting some exercise.

I'm sure my tired, bloated look with go away eventually.

Even if it doesn't, I'll still be healthier on the inside.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Yeah you don't need to worry about this. You have been battering your body for so long that now it doesn't quite know what to do with itself. Lots of fruit, vegetables, and multivitamins will help sort you out. Don't expect stuff to happen overnight. It does happen but you have to give it time.

Natom.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Simply Grateful

Janis,

You and I have the same sobriety date, 12/12/12! Yay for us. But I know what you're saying. I thought I'd be popping out of bed in the morning, bright eyed and bushy tailed by now (1 week) and it's not so. I think it takes time like others have said. Right now I just feel good about myself when I wake up that I didn't drink the night before.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses. It's the fact that I worry that it'll be like this forever and I did some serious damage that just ended up showing up once I got sober. It's irrational but a fear none the less.

Congrats on your sober date Glasscat! I feel the same way. I'm trying to give my body the time it needs because there is a lot of changes going on. Mornings are my good times then I feel like falling asleep all day. One day at a time I guess. LOL

Best of luck to you!
Old 12-19-2012, 01:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ba**ysMama

congrats Janis! ..and I have had that same experience..the times that I have started to get sober, I was soooo sleepy and worn down all day.. for no real reason.. ask your doc about taking milk thistle..its a wonder-herb..
Old 12-21-2012, 03:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Same date as me too, and I also don't look too good despite water and vitamins, still have fat bloated face, I swear it looks worse! Not giving up tho, I do feel better about myself and don't wake up filled with regret every morning xx
Old 12-21-2012, 06:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I quit a little over two months ago. So far I have lost some weight but I am not down to what I was before I started drinking again. Two days ago I was backing out of my driveway and I caught my reflection in my rearview mirror. I had to stop for a minute and look at myself. I have changed. My skin looked smoother and was pink in the right places (instead of my nose). So I do look better now but it took about 2 months. Be patient and be sober and you will see an improvment before you know it!