Notices

diane

Old 12-19-2012, 05:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

diane

I am trying to help my son face a sober life after many years of drinking. He is doing fine not drinking but now realizes there is an entire different way to live when your not functioning in the cloud of alcohol. He is overwhelmed by simple tasks, has trouble making decisions and feels constant stress. I hope someone has faced these feelings and can help me encourage him to be kind to himself and maybe take baby steps towards his new life.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Welcome to SR rustin10!

Yep, I felt very much the same after I quit drinking. I found support through this site and a therapist and AA. I would encourage him to find some sort of support, outside of his family. It was one of the keys for me .... until I did that, I was never able to stay stopped.

Have you looked into Alanon in your area? You can find some great support there.

AA is for alcoholics. Alanon is for friends and family of alcoholics.

Also, take a look over here in the Friends and Family section. You'll find some great support by people who have been or are going through what you are.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rustin10 View Post
I am trying to help my son face a sober life after many years of drinking. He is doing fine not drinking but now realizes there is an entire different way to live when your not functioning in the cloud of alcohol. He is overwhelmed by simple tasks, has trouble making decisions and feels constant stress. I hope someone has faced these feelings and can help me encourage him to be kind to himself and maybe take baby steps towards his new life.
Getting sober is the easy part, living sober is the trick for many alcoholics.

I found sobriety, sanity and serenity in Alcoholics anonymous.

Are you in Royal Oak, MI ?

All the best.

Bob R
Old 12-19-2012, 07:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can relate. Life got harder for a while when I put the drink down. AA not only gave me a way to stay sober, but also gave me tools to use to live a happy, useful life. Maybe find out if he is open to the idea of attending a meeting. As a family member you are welcome to attend an open meeting with him if you think that would help.