Notices

Messed up

Old 12-19-2012, 11:55 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

y'know I wouldn't doing right by you if I didn't say this....

You can do what you want of course...but I really think the best time to quit today D.

Future dates may be less scary...but D...I can't count the amount of times I made a future date to quit....and then watched it go by...

Usually I got hammered the night before and I was either still drunk the next day or sick as and needed 'the hair of the dog'...either way I'd continue.

why wait to start your new life?

D
Old 12-20-2012, 12:04 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hey D,

I'm with those that think today is the best day for you to give up. I recognize the desire to set a date in the future, as if it will be easier then, or that will allow you some time to "get it out of your system". But, seriously, it's worth thinking what is stopping you today - because those blockages will still be with you throughout next year.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:12 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi D104
I was going to wait till Jan too but thought I've been putting it off for years and tomorrow never really does come. I thought what bad things could possibly happen in the days I'm putting it off plus I was so fed up with feeling rough all the time it was too much. I'm only on day 13 but feel loads better for no wine.

Maybe just don't drink today and take it from there. Its easy to put it off. Its not easy to quit but its well worth it.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:35 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hmmm I do understand what your all saying.. And I know it's a cop out but I sort of want this final hoorah... Last night was messed up as I have not drank that much for awhile.
Wish I could say I didn't stop at the bottle shop and get some wine but I can't and I am 3 glasses in now.
But I do honestly believe that I will stop possibly before the new year as I am going away with my family for a holiday and no one drinks to excess that I will be around. I suppose I just don't want to set myself up for failure during the "festivities".
I am my own worst enemy and if I promised to stop but then ended up succumbing I would beat myself up no end.
I will say that I am more aware of my actions and the upcoming end date. Hard to explain but I will be a success story, I know I will.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:09 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hello

I was going to stop on News Years Day (pretty much like every year for my whole adult life!!) But the other day (I'm on day 4) I thought I CANNOT have another Christmas so shamefully drunk, hungover and depressed.

I alway drink more than I normally do (which considering how much my drinking as escalated this year..could be interesting) and horrible things happen.

I totally understand why you are waiting and it's probably easier for me as I have pretty much decided to work through Christmas (apart from the day) and ignore it all, but if you wanted to quit now I just wanted you to know there are some other people trying it too. :-)
Old 12-20-2012, 01:17 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi ultra bunny, I hope your day 4 turns into 40 years +. For me, I tried to stop on 11/12 and failed lasted 3 days.
I just hope I don't have to have something terrible happen for the wake up call you know.
I really wish I could say I'm 3 years clean or something and that day dream will get me to that place I am sure... But this next week I have resigned myself to the fact that I will drink. Sucks to be me.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:21 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sucked to be me too - but it doesn't anymore.
I really hope you'll change your mind D, but I wish you the best in any case

D
Old 12-20-2012, 01:25 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi dee. I wish I would change my mind too, and maybe I will.... Sometimes I half expect to have a "light bulb" moment and just stop. But again that is wishful thinking.
What did u do dee to get through your first 3 -7 days?
Old 12-20-2012, 01:37 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used SR a lot...but I was also very very ill.

You can read my story in the Stories of Recovery section if you think you'd find it interesting:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-one.html
Old 12-20-2012, 01:47 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Oh my... That brought tears to my eyes. You are truly inspirational, exceptional and amazing!!!
I will be able to write about my story of recovery in that section in 12 months
Thank you dee. And may I say your avatar is hilarious. Go the muppets lol.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:48 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

And you have changed your avatar haha. I'm a bit slow off the mark aren't I. Haha
Old 12-20-2012, 02:10 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

First I would like to say how good your posts was written having drunk 3 bottles of wine I would have been on the floor but I did feel your pain in the 1st one.

I also had the intention of quiting on new years day but last week I had another messy drunken episode. I woke up the next day I decided that was it no more and I thought well if I get through this christmas the next one should be a doddle.

Just imagine quiting 1/1/13 and to be sober almost 12 months and have to go through your 1st xmas sober and risk your 1st sober b'day. No thanks while the pain is raw I'm going tackle it now and hope next years will be filled with xmas cheer.

Everyone is differnt and you will have to do what you think is best and if that is 1/1/13 make sure it is.

Take care x
Old 12-20-2012, 02:40 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi Dorris, somehow I can come across completely fine when in actual fact I'm off with the fairies. Not something I am proud of at all.
I just called AA to get some insight into what I might expect at my first meeting. I have decided I will give AA a good hard crack, the man I spoke to was lovely and we talked for about 30 minutes, me asking a bucketload of questions and him really excited and proud that I have made a pretty massive step.
I'm going tomorrow after work and I think that tomorrow may just be my day 1
Old 12-20-2012, 02:59 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
instant

I made so many promises to myself that I didn't,t keep. The dread of not drinking seemed insurmountable.

It is not easy but it is possible
Old 12-20-2012, 03:05 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I know it's possible I have no doubt it's possible based on this website (I'm surprised there aren't more of these sites to be honest).
How long have you been clean instant? I do love to read success stories.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:54 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

It's going pretty well so far D. I went to a pub yesterday for some drinks with workmates and just drank lemon, lime and bitters. I had a work meeting at 2pm with my boss and a couple of GM's so nobody battered an eyelid.

I'm off work until January now and my plan for the new year is to go back to work not smoking. People will obviously be proud and supportive of that so if they ask why I'm not drinking then I always have that as a backup. When I drink I'm likely to smoke so don't encourage me.

I gave a both for a year a few years ago and as soon as I did one I did the other.

Stay strong to your target and goal D.

Take care
Andrew
Old 12-20-2012, 12:21 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

D, the beginning is very hard. Surround yourself with good people as best you can. For most people will power alone will not do it. This website is awesome but you may need more then that. Going to a meeting is a good start and the people there may have words of encouragement. Dates on a calendar do not usually work for most of us but the decision in our heart seems to do the trick. Stay strong.