Notices

Making Sober Friends

Old 12-18-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Making Sober Friends

While going through this journey, I have felt very lonely. Although I have my boyfriend, dogs, work, a little family, I don't have any friends going through the same thing as me. I am avoiding too many holiday parties. I have suggested alcohol-free outings but that is never wanted by other friends. I am finding that my friends are my drinking friends and not real friends. I am glad I am going through this at 29 instead of later in life but it is still hard. How do you make sober friends? I am taking some knitting classes and will try out AA soon. I have this site and one other sober site. But how do you make face to face sober friends?
Old 12-18-2012, 01:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

well this is just my opinion but i feel that when you quit drinking your attitude to parties and bars etc has to change they're just excuses for people to get thrashed. Socializing should be more centered around activities completely removed from that whole environment.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Pre AA = Zero friends
Post AA = So many I can not count them

A significant portion of AA is the fellowship.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

pattyj, i've found AA and the fellowship a great avenue for meeting people There are about 5 people I keep in touch with on a regular basis and would call them either friends or extended family Perhaps investigate women's meetings in your area? Many meetings run a "second half" and members will go out for lunch or a meal, It's a great way to interact with people outside of meetings too I'd like to learn how to knit-maybe I should sign up for something

Xx
Old 12-18-2012, 01:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

All of my 'new friends' have come from going to AA meetings. It's hard at first but with time, you will warm up to this new crowd who will support you on your journey. My friends that I used to drink with? Maybe 1 or 2 still stay in touch....and a few have them have even got into AA---which was a bonus for us all!
Old 12-18-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Take up a new hobby where you can meet sober people. Something like waking, running, a book club, the gym, photography, painting, etc. Take a night class. Look in the paper or online.

I'm also suffering from all my friends being drinkers. I'm going to learn fly fishing and get fit and study something. Pubs are a thing of the past I have to realise.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great ideas. People keep suggesting AA to me and I think I finally need to just jump in.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
Pre AA = Zero friends
Post AA = So many I can not count them

A significant portion of AA is the fellowship.
My phone is so clogged with people that I have a hard time deciding which Tom is which based on their phone number