Notices

How Am I Doing? Is This Normal?

Old 12-18-2012, 12:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How Am I Doing? Is This Normal?

With the recent death of my beloved dog Cody last Tuesday, my parent's ever increasing health problems, and a new found sensitivity to the fleetingness of life and the finality of death, I have decided to become a healthier person in hopes of gaining some longevity. I have decided to cut down and quit smoking first and foremost, mostly because I am a hypochondriac and when I have an "episode" I would like to narrow down the possible causes of a health problem, real or perceived.

So, since Monday of last week I have gone from about 16 cigarettes per day to an average of 5, which is something I have wanted to do for a long time. The most I have had since Monday the 10th was 7, which was yesterday, because when you have to stack 3,000 packages in a UPS big rig during peak season before Christmas, things get pretty damn stressful. However, some days I have had just 3.

What have I done so far?

1. Local gas stations have started selling Njoy electronic cigarettes. I have been using these as replacements. The lack of smoke is crucial.
2. Switched to lights. Not a massive difference in tar, but it helps.
3. Cut out chain smoking. There is no need to smoke one on the way to work and then one at work.
4. Start smoking only after breakfast and coffee, an hour after waking. Also, no cigs an hour before bed.
5. 1 cig per hour if I must.
6. Smoke less of a cigarette.
7. Inhale shallower.
8. Prevent filter from becoming brown. Only yellow.

What results am I seeing?

1. LOADS of tar being coughed up. I have used a tar-guard in the past and judging from the tar build up in those, I am coughing up a few cigarette's worth of tar every day.
2. More productive coughs.
3. Practically no wheezing.
4. Occasional feelings of "catching my breath."
5. Can taste and smell better.

What worries me?

1. Random chest pains and the fact that cigarettes bring chest pain and make me winded now.
2. Should I be coughing up that much tar?
3. Since I have never smoked a pack a day, and have only smoked for 4 years, is my fear of having lung cancer right now or in the near future rational or irrational?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So, if you have read this post, and I sincerely thank you for doing so, how would you rate my progress so far? Do you guys and girls have any other tips for cutting down and quitting? Are the chest pains normal? Should I be coughing up that much tar? Should I be freaking out about cancer? I do plan on quitting totally, eventually and soon, but with my stressful job and my life having more stressful moments (dog dieing, dad with cancerous colorectal polyps, Xmas stress, etc) I feel that if I were to go cold turkey right now, I would have a mental breakdown.

Any response is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Any steps are better than no steps and it sounds like you're making good choices in cutting down. I've never actually see anyone coughing up tar so I don't know if that's good as in maybe your lungs are cleansing themselves. However if chest pains and other symptoms concern you, check in with your doctor and hopefully that will ease your worries.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you're doing well and working on being healthier.

The questions you've asked should really be for your dr to answer.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back

If you're having chest pain it's always good to see a Dr just to be safe - & that way you can ask your other questions too.

Hows your sobriety going?

D
Old 12-18-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Slow and easy is probably wise as to go cold turkey may be too hard, especially when you have had some added stress.
The longest journey begins with the first step but try not to go bacwards and lose ground.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Speaking from experience, cigarettes are nearly impossible to quit cold turkey, or with OTC nicotine replacement thearapies (patches, gums) that have failure rates in the 90% range. These companies really don't want you to quit for profit reasons, think about it. E-Cigs are a bit better, but I finally kicked the habit through the use of real Swedish Snus (not that Camel or Marlboro crap you find in convenience stores). Try googling "Swedish snus forum" and check out the top result. I found a lot of useful information and support there.

The reason snus works is that your body isn't just addicted to nicotine. It is also addicted to the myriad of other alkaloids found in tobacco, but not found in e-cig juice, patches, or gums. Many people think that because snus is oral tobacco that their mouth will rot out, or they will get mouth cancer. THIS IS NOT DIP. Snus is not fire-cured nor does it contain all the sugar like American chewing tobacco. In the 300 year history of snus being used in Sweden, there have been no documented cases of cancer. It is also spit-free, so the grossness factor is minimal and you can use it to your heart's content at work because it is discreet. The transition takes some time, but eventually your body will prefer to get its nicotine from snus and you will simply forget about smoking. I have found it much easier to go extended periods without snus than without cigarettes now that I have switched. Now I use snus because I enjoy it, not because I have to get a fix every hour. PM me if you want to discuss.

I wish you the best of luck in quitting.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Guys...the brown stuff I am coughing up is a product of tobacco...right? RIGHT?
Old 12-18-2012, 08:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I could say yes...that matches my experience....but someone else is likely to say no.

If you want a definitive answer you need to see a Dr. subpop - we're a peer support group - we can't give you medical advice here

D